Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose a cycling computer
Quote | Reply
Hello -

I have been using my 920xt for triathlon training but I have also used it for a couple double centuries. My last ride was 242 miles before my watch finally died (I can't charge 920xt while recording).

I am starting to get into long-distance cycling as well as planning an everesting attempt. I am in the market for a dedicated cycling computer that has long battery life and/or can be charged while recording. Accurate elevation gain would be a nice bonus.

I am looking for a year+ old model that has had price reductions due to newer products coming out. Could anyone recommend one for me?

Thanks.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a cycling computer [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two I'm looking at at the Garmin 820 and Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Both are recent models, but I'm interested in the Strava Live segments, etc. A lot of upgrades are made in every gen. computer and for me that's important.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Edge 520 just came down to $250 in response to the Wahoo Bolt coming out this year at that same price.

For me, I need at least bluetooth upload capability...because I can't imagine going back to hard wire file uploads ever again...especially since I replaced my PC/laptop with a ipad...so I couldn't hard wire download even if I wanted to.

I have the Wahoo Bolt and like it. The integration with the phone for set up and configuration is something game changing, and I imagine that Garmin is eventually going to come out with something similar in the future. There are a few minor bugs that I have found, but that's no different than how Garmin operates either. Wahoo support has been very responsive and they do push out meaningful updates quite often.

The one area that I am unsure of with the Bolt is it's durability. The unit is very light, but the casing doesn't feel as sturdy as your typical garmin edge computer. It very well might be durable enough to last 5 years, but it just doesn't feel the same as a Garmin when you squeeze down on it. But given a bike computer isn't designed to be compressed, or put in your back pocket while you sit down on it...it may not be an issue.

If you run a stages though, the Bolt might be a better option since it can connect to power meters via BT and not just ANT+. Other than that, I think it's just preference in how you like to set up and configure your computer settings. 520 is a PITA, but you can do it on the fly while riding. The Bolt is super easy with the phone, but most of the settings have to be configured using the phone app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you are already in the Garmin ecosystem, I would get either the 520, 820, or 1000. They all have the same rated 15 hour battery life. (Though in practice, it seems like my 520 lasts way longer than 15 hours.) Make the choice by the key features you like most and your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a garmin 1000 and LOVE it. I've been on 500's for a while and the jump up was worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a cycling computer [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the detailed information about the Bolt, Jason.

I agree with evxxxiiii, since I already own a Garmin and enjoy Garming connect, I will probably stick with them. The 520 looks like the most in my budget. Could anyone confirm that it can be charged while recording? 15 hours might not be enough for some of my activities, but I do have an external usb power bank.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it definitely can charge during the middle of an activity. I did so this weekend.

The main caveat regards your mount and the charge port. Depending on everything getting in each other's way back there, you may not be able to plug in and have it still be mounted up. My Zipp TT mount does not work, for example. Luckily, it charges fast and you'll either get creative or have it in a jersey pocket for 20 minutes while it charges.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a cycling computer [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Yes, it definitely can charge during the middle of an activity. I did so this weekend.

The main caveat regards your mount and the charge port. Depending on everything getting in each other's way back there, you may not be able to plug in and have it still be mounted up. My Zipp TT mount does not work, for example. Luckily, it charges fast and you'll either get creative or have it in a jersey pocket for 20 minutes while it charges.

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like my best bet for my needs/wants and budget within the Garmin family is the Edge 520. I appreciate the feedback. I know all of this information is out there somewhere already but it is a bit overwhelming.

I should be good to go now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my 520... I own a 920xt but for biking only the 520 is awesome.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a cycling computer [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you see a Garmin edge 520 for sale for $250. I'm currently looking to buy one, but cheapest i've seen is $299 unless you're buying on ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a cycling computer [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Hammerhead Karoo looks very interesting.
Quote Reply