Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better race for bigger guy (6'2" 187lbs)...IMLou or IMWI?
Quote | Reply
I'm a bigger guy and I raced IMWI last year. I did well but I'm wondering if I should really consider IMLou. My strength is the bike (FTP=345-350). I'm okay swimmer but nothing great (1:03-1:05 IM swims) and I run 3:30 in my last IMWI.
Quote Reply
Re: Better race for bigger guy (6'2" 187lbs)...IMLou or IMWI? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'll do well at IMLOU and you'll enjoy the course. The finish line is awesome, lots of people and a huge big screen showing all of the finishers. On race day last year I was around 190# and I'm 6'2 so we're pretty close except my FTP was only in the 310W range at the time. It's only around 4,500 feet of climbing and nothing steep at all. Run is 2 loops and flat, goes right by Churchill Downs, gittyup!

Oh yeah and the swim, prepare to go under an hour as the last 2/3 of the swim is with the current of the river. Most people I talk to say they go 3-5 minutes faster in the IMLOU swim than a lake swim that doesn't have a current.
Quote Reply
Re: Better race for bigger guy (6'2" 187lbs)...IMLou or IMWI? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick thoughts:
1. Louisville is later so possible lower weather temps???
2. Flat run should help bigger athletes
3. Finish line is AWESOME!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd think you would do really well at IMLOU. Small current river swim, "big rollers" on the bike, flat run, early October weather. And you have 3 more months to train.

I'm 6'6, 180lbs. Nowhere near your level, but can say I found it enjoyable.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply