Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
As for me... I paid tier 3 instead of tier 2, or at least that's how I sold myself. It cost me an extra 50 bucks to race, but I don't have to take a 700 dollar hit on the July credit card bill. I'd rather be down 250 bucks a month for the next 2 months than 700 in July with the (US) holiday and a family vacation on the calendar.

One day I'll get to drop 700 instead of 750 so I can flaunt my superior financial management, but today isn't that day :)

Edit: **** I hate math. Maybe that's why this seems like a workable deal to me :)

The point is, if you put it on a credit card and paid it off over the next three months, it would cost you less in interest than the extra $50 you just paid to WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, this is the point here a lot of people are missing. Unless there is a severe cash flow problem and you don't have another form of credit available (even credit cards), the payment plan doesn't make sense from a lending point of view.

Where I do see this making sense is say a popular race like IMAZ, you *think* you are going to race it but want to hedge your bets. So instead of dropping $700 (or whatever) and ending up having to cancel, you can spend the $250, decide to cancel, and not be out an extra $500.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:

As for me... I paid tier 3 instead of tier 2, or at least that's how I sold myself. It cost me an extra 50 bucks to race, but I don't have to take a 700 dollar hit on the July credit card bill. I'd rather be down 250 bucks a month for the next 2 months than 700 in July with the (US) holiday and a family vacation on the calendar.

One day I'll get to drop 700 instead of 750 so I can flaunt my superior financial management, but today isn't that day :)

Edit: **** I hate math. Maybe that's why this seems like a workable deal to me :)

The point is, if you put it on a credit card and paid it off over the next three months, it would cost you less in interest than the extra $50 you just paid to WTC.

Point taken.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
Agreed, this is the point here a lot of people are missing. Unless there is a severe cash flow problem and you don't have another form of credit available (even credit cards), the payment plan doesn't make sense from a lending point of view.

Where I do see this making sense is say a popular race like IMAZ, you *think* you are going to race it but want to hedge your bets. So instead of dropping $700 (or whatever) and ending up having to cancel, you can spend the $250, decide to cancel, and not be out an extra $500.

I would guess these are the people WTC is hedging this on, not enough income/savings to drop down on the entry fee in a single lump sum or with high credit balances.
It's easy to say "then these people shouldn't be doing these kind of races" or " they should take a class on money management", but that's not the concern of WTC, getting spots filled (=entry fees) IS.
The more they make it accessible to these kind of people, the more they make.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Kylek42 wrote:
You guys think you have it rough, imagine being a student in college racking up debt and trying to compete in this sport. Whenever I want to race I have to ask one person for a bike/helmet another for wetsuit and luckily I'm a track runner so I have running sneakers. Registration isn't just taking away from my fun money it's basically freezing my ability to leave my house lol. To make things better, when picking up my last race packet I backed into a car worth about $5000 and the dent I put in the bumper was quoted at 1000$ so now I have to go through insurance and screw myself for the next 5years or so.

Dude, we've all been there.

Wait till you get into the Real World.

When I was your age youngster I had to walk to my classes up hill both ways. I had to eat out of dumpsters.

nothing worse then an old guy acting old

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it baffling.

I'd pay the 700 be a little uncomfortable for a couple of months then I am up 50 bucks!

50 bucks is 50 bucks. You can put it away and your next race and thenyou only have to come up with 650....

Instead you gave it away for nothing....

How hard did you have to work for that 50 bucks?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [coachjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachjustin wrote:
Good thing triathletes in general have quite a bit of disposable income.

Supposedly. But you have to wonder when WTC needs to create an installment plan for seven hundred bucks. What's next? A yearly subscription at $70/month to do one IM a year? It looks like creative financing as WTC starts to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very hard.
I can only answer for me but I did not give it away for nothing, I give it away so I didn't have explain a $700 credit card bill or tell the money manager I wasn't contributing the normal amount to the budget this month which then means I have to tell her about another race, which leads to me taking her shopping with my fun money instead of her taking herself shopping with her fun money. The way I see it WTC put money in my pocket.
Also working on a dairy farm since I was about 10, 5 years of college, and 20 years of law enforcement gives me the opportunity to blow my $50 however I chose. Hell, I blew $50 bucks on panties and flip flops for my eight year old today.

All in pink. The above text, not the flip flops.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
What's next? A yearly subscription at $70/month to do one IM a year? It looks like creative financing as WTC starts to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

I'm sure that you intended this to be in pink, however I think it's a great idea. I normally avoid monthly payments like the plague, but there is something appealing about paying for race in small amounts out of my monthly fun-money (or at least having the option).

Also, I'd suggest that when you describe WTCs attempts to make the sport more accessible as scraping the bottom of the barrel you're only furthering the perception of triathletes as elitist.

Not sure you intended that, maybe I'm inferring something you never intended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard back from the Athlete Services Coordinator - Once you opt for the 3 payment plan and complete your first payment, your email address used to register will receive notifications when your next payments are due and a link within to make said payment.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this allows more people to race, then this is a good thing

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a smart man, I see a bike and I pedal. I'll eat crow now.

785 dollars for tier 3 via the 3 payment method. I've made 2 payments now, each 250.00. The last 285 dollar payment will be due on 11/15. Every payment you make, Active gets a 20 dollar processing fee. So now my entry total is up to 845.

I could have paid 700 + a 20 dollar active fee, and been done with it. Next time I'll just drop the credit card, the interest alone if I spread the payments wouldn't be as bad as this overpaid IM entry.

"I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive."

- me, and Happy Gilmore.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Do you have to pay the Active Processing fee each time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably would have paid a $56 processing fee if you had done the $700 assuming Active.com charges 8% on anything.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 17, 17 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. 20 bucks a pop.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
You probably would have paid a $56 processing fee if you had done the $700 assuming Active.com charges 8% on anything.

Correct. It was $60 for me for tier II price of $750
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, didn't know it was a flat 8%, it had been about 18 months since I paid for a full. Makes sense. Then it's not so bad, but I still now regret not just dropping my credit card down reflecting back, even with my vacation situation and all..

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, I did the payment plan for 2 reasons:

1. I've been battling some injuries and would rather be out 250-500 rather than 700 if I cant get the injuries worked out.

2. I've got a crazy busy Spring 2018 and wanted the option to just back out if family/life responsibilities require it. If I do back out, I'd rather lose 250-500 than 700.

To me, well worth the $50 to have the flexibility mentioned above...

-w
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [pistuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pistuo wrote:
As others have mentioned, I did the payment plan for 2 reasons:

1. I've been battling some injuries and would rather be out 250-500 rather than 700 if I cant get the injuries worked out.

2. I've got a crazy busy Spring 2018 and wanted the option to just back out if family/life responsibilities require it. If I do back out, I'd rather lose 250-500 than 700.

To me, well worth the $50 to have the flexibility mentioned above...

-w

Isn't the full 700 due like right now or next month though?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, second payment notification just went out... it's not due for a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX18 - 3 payment plan [pistuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pistuo wrote:
Nope, second payment notification just went out... it's not due for a few weeks.

Just looked it up and the full $700 is due at the end of next month.

Quote:
PAYMENT PLAN OPTION:
Athletes who register on or before September 24, 2017 may elect to pay via a three-part payment plan. Athletes will be charged three installments. To elect the payment plan, an athlete needs to register under the “Payment Plan” category during the first 90 days of general entries being available and make the initial payment. All three payments must be completed for an athlete to race – partial payments will not be refunded or honored as race entries. Athletes electing the payment plan may also utilize the deferral option listed above once all three payments have been completed. *NOTE: In the event that general entry pricing moves to tier 4, the payment plan will increase to reflect tier 4 pricing.
  • Payment 1: At the time of registration
  • Payment 2: Will be requested on October 16 and due by October 31
  • Payment 3: Will be requested on November 15 and due by November 30

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...r.aspx#ixzz4vsscz7tt

Quote Reply

Prev Next