Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buffalo Springs Rolldown?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any info on the BSL rolldown?
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have specifics but it seemed like for the most part slots only rolled down 1-2 spots. There was one male AG (35-39 maybe?) that rolled way down to 16th but other than that nothing crazy that I remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it was 45-49 that rolled down to 16th place. Some of the older women categories rolled slots down to other age groups because the women didn't show to the awards ceremony. I know the 18-24 year old women picked up a 2nd slot (they only had 1 originally), and a couple of the other women's categories did as well.

Mark Saroni
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [thetrilife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did anyone else think the swim was a tad long? I didn't have a GPS on, but it felt more like 1.5 miles

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gd28 wrote:
I don't have specifics but it seemed like for the most part slots only rolled down 1-2 spots. There was one male AG (35-39 maybe?) that rolled way down to 16th but other than that nothing crazy that I remember.

I can't wait to see the comments about Tremblant rolldown hehe.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they roll way down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not many of the AG's rolled. Men 45-49 had 4 spot and rolled to 16th. Men 40-44 rolled to 10th and had 4 spots. Very few others went past 1 or 2 spots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gd28 wrote:
Did they roll way down?

Let me put it that way: there were more slots available than people present at the rolldown ceremony.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
did anyone else think the swim was a tad long? I didn't have a GPS on, but it felt more like 1.5 miles

I think it was short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy...I specifically chose St. Croix and Buffalo Springs because they appeared to have the best chances of qualifying. It looks like everyone else at those races had the same idea. Almost zero slots rolled down in St. Croix and at least in my AG some really stout competition showed up. Buffalo seemed to go the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Tremblant, I think there was a combination of a few factors... First, many people here are newcomers and have no idea what rolldowns are. I spoke to a lady that finished 13th in her group, her first 70.3, and she had no clue whatsoever what it was. Second, many people assumed that they didn't have a chance. Third, many people just don't want to invest that kind of money on a faraway race, plus the CAD/USD exchange is not great right now. Finally - and that's probably what kept people that "might" have showed up out of curiosity - it was a downpour at that time, and there's no cover near the stage in Tremblant.

A few groups did fill all their spots. M40-44, for example. But other large groups (M45-49) did not. I think most women slots got allocated. But I don't think all men slots got allocated.

Here's my point of view: the rules are clear. A person can't complain if he/she didn't show up. Is it the best way to allocate those slots? I think in 2017, an electronic system not requiring you to be present would be better. Kinda like the Norseman lottery. But heck, other might disagree. And this would not have happened either if things were not as they are:

I went up the mountain to have a beer and some grub at 16:30 with family and friends. I was staying near the stage. My daughter is allergic, and I realized when I got to the restaurant I had forgotten her Epipen in the room. No biggie, I walked down to get it. I passed in front of the stage while they were giving slots in the 65-69 groups or so. They get to the point where they call "any men 65-69 want the slots?". I'm curious. I see there is very few people. I decide to wait. I'm M40-44. I raced a decent time (5:10), in the top 25%, sure, but under normal circumstances, not good enough. Which is why I was having a beer 10minutes before. But I realize the circumstances are not normal. So I wait. 6 slots for M40-44. 8 people. I happen to be the 6th fastest. I am now going to Chattanooga.

I understand that I should not really have a slot, even though I'm very proud of my race and had a killer run :) But I played the rolldown rules fair. If it wasn't me, it was the next guy, lower (sorry about that buddy btw!). Like I said... if someone didn't show up, they have no right to complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Here's my point of view: the rules are clear. A person can't complain if he/she didn't show up. Is it the best way to allocate those slots? I think in 2017, an electronic system not requiring you to be present would be better. Kinda like the Norseman lottery. But heck, other might disagree. And this would not have happened either if things were not as they are:

I understand that I should not really have a slot, even though I'm very proud of my race and had a killer run :) But I played the rolldown rules fair. If it wasn't me, it was the next guy, lower (sorry about that buddy btw!). Like I said... if someone didn't show up, they have no right to complain.

I like the system as it is. If you want a slot, you go to the designated place where they are giving them out and you wait to see if you are offered one. Period.

And you totally deserved the slot you got. Don't discount the fact that you were high enough in your age group to be offered one out of a rolldown. That is plenty of an accomplishment. I got a relatively deep rolldown slot (7 slots in AG, rolled to me in 17th place) at Raleigh and I am thrilled. I certainly acknowledge that I got lucky but I placed pretty well in the race, had a great race in general, and was rewarded when I chose to hang around the rolldown.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Callin' wrote:

I think it was short.
Yes, the swim is always short at BSLT, and this year was no different. I'm always 2-3 mins faster there than any other 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 1959 yds on the swim on my 935xt and my girlfriend got 2195yds. Supposed to be 1900m, so maybe only slightly short.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs Rolldown? [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my GPS always reads 2170+ yards on the course there (done the race 4 times). Fast yes, but short, not sure...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply