Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [THNH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THNH wrote:
Hi all.

I'm hoping to get answers on a question I have regarding name change on a entry to Haugesund Ironman 70.3

A colleague of mine have a entry to this race, but hurt his knee during running and are not able to participate in the race, I want to take over his entry and change it to my name. It says on Ironman's web page that name change on entry is not possible, is there anyway around this?

Have your friend pick up his bib as he normally would if he were participating, then scan it and make your own in Photoshop, and use that one

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen people transfer entries to mountain bike stage races (yes, even with tiered pricing), 24hr races, gran fondos, UCI sanctioned races etc... The organizer can collect an additional $50-$100 "processing fee". It's not unheard of. We're not talking world championship start spots here.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [THNH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show some respect for the RD/race organization and the athletes registered for the race, if the race doesn't allow transfers, then follow the rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iruntrails wrote:
Show some respect for the RD/race organization and the athletes registered for the race, if the race doesn't allow transfers, then follow the rules.

Rules are for chumps

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...ng-crews-bandit.html

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, I also complain about my tax rates. I complain about our elections. I complain about NSA spying on us. I complaing that my internet bill is almost $100 (government sanctioned monopoly). I complain about my bike fit. I don't find any of it embarrassing.

I no longer participate in races that don't allow deferral / transfer. But that was an expensive lesson.

Wait... you say, why not move out of the country? Why whine about it if you live here. I say it's a conversation. Just because a rule exists doesn't mean it's right. Else we'd still have kings and slaves.

kdw wrote:
To sign up for the race and agree to their policy, and then whine when it doesn't suit you...it's embarrassing.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jun 27, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aj``` wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Then people would buy entries to big races early and re-sell them

*ding* *ding* *ding*

This is a big part of the answer (hopefully), and is what keeps me from wondering why transfers aren't allowed. In theory, it is to our benefit.
Add in the factor with the potential safety/liability issues.
Add in the factor of having to deal with shifting paperwork/rearranging waves/switching packing lists for swim caps, etc. Even if the cutoff is far in advance, what a headache it would be for RDs.

But, it leads me to think about the selling of races. Nothing worse than having a concert announced, signing up for the pre-sale, spending an hour at work hitting refresh over and over trying to get in at exactly 9:00 AM when tickets go on sale. And finding them sold out. Of course, you can get them from StubHub immediately for an inflated price.

Fair enough, those willing to pay can get tickets. But, the scalpers and StubHub make that extra money, not the artist, venue and producer. That's what bothers me.

I think for the popular races, instead of offering an early bird discount, they should come out on day one and offer slots at say $3000. That way, anyone willing to pay...can pay. That'll keep the scalpers away. Then maybe week 2, it drops to $2500. Again, the scalpers stay away and anyone willing to buy can buy. Then maybe it drops to $2000. And so on. All of that premium spent by consumers goes to the race producer, not a scalper. Sure, as the deadline nears they're maybe almost giving them away at cost. But that point, they've already made a little more than they would have. If there's a scramble at that point and you lost out...so be it. If the scalpers get into the mix at that point, they're going to have a tough time selling for a higher value as people who were willing to pay more already would have done so.

Just a thought. I haven't thought it through. We should run this past Levitt and Dubner.

No offense but this seems like a horrible idea to me. I for one would be beyond pissed off if I spent $3000 to participate in a race that others paid much less for. I know it happens currently and even that bothers me but to implement it on such a drastic scale as you stated would be much worse in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kylek42 wrote:
aj``` wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Then people would buy entries to big races early and re-sell them

No offense but this seems like a horrible idea to me. I for one would be beyond pissed off if I spent $3000 to participate in a race that others paid much less for. I know it happens currently and even that bothers me but to implement it on such a drastic scale as you stated would be much worse in my opinion.

No offense taken. I'm chock full of horrible ideas. It only works for a race that's pretty much guaranteed to sell out...and, of course, transfers were permissible..

Then you get to determine how much it's worth to you to insure a spot and the race gets the extra money, not the scalper and StubHub.You can, of course, wait and hope for a spot at a lower price but there's no guarantees.
I thought of the idea after reading an economist talking about a theoretical line at a drinking fountain...about the same time I missed out on Mumford and Sons tickets.
http://www.slate.com/...l_later_be_last.html

It's not my first potentially horrendous idea...nor will it be my last.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely makes sense economically and logically in a scenario such as the one you stated. Smart way to increase profits on events that are known to sell out fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually, people who do transfer/deferrals do it at the very end ... the week before or the week of the race. At that point in time, making a few extra $$ at the cost of the extra paperwork isn't worth it. At that point in time, RDs would much rather dedicate resources somewhere else.

Big marathons/road races, where the number of athletes are in the 5 digits range, the economy of scale may make the extra burden worth it. However, triathlons don't bring in numbers, so getting an extra hundred or two at the cost of the extra admin work is not worth it for many tri RDs.

Kylek42 wrote:
definitely makes sense economically and logically in a scenario such as the one you stated. Smart way to increase profits on events that are known to sell out fast.

Quote | Reply
Wasn't really directing that comment towards the transferring thing, sorry to confuse you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next