Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles???
Quote | Reply
Just curious as to what the collective ST opinion is on this. I guess to some very slight degree the optimum % ST might vary very slightly between a sprint/Oly triathlete and an iron distance athlete, but I would think very little since even an 800 m sw/12 mi bk/3 mi run is still mostly an aerobic event.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite Distance Runners are up to ~ 80% ST.
It's hard to know what happens beyond that.

Are their type I fibers in a maximally trained state?
If yes, then Type IIa fibers are helpful for additional force production. If not, then FT fibers may not be needed.

Because ~2 hour events are run at moderate levels of lactate, there is some Type II activity. This means there is enough force requirement that they are called upon. Ie. the ST fibers cannot do it on their own.

In the current state, I propose that if you were to "cut out" the FT fibers of elites, their times would get slower.
With time, would this allow them to train their ST fibers to make up the difference? I don't know, but I find it doubtful.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Just curious as to what the collective ST opinion is on this. I guess to some very slight degree the optimum % ST might vary very slightly between a sprint/Oly triathlete and an iron distance athlete, but I would think very little since even an 800 m sw/12 mi bk/3 mi run is still mostly an aerobic event.

I think the athlete still needs some FT fiber for the swim start and reacting to surges in the swim. For the bike in non drafting, almost need zero. You need some for the run (see what the other poster has posted).
Quote Reply
Re: The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles??? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I think the athlete still needs some FT fiber for the swim start and reacting to surges in the swim. For the bike in non drafting, almost need zero. You need some for the run (see what the other poster has posted).

Would you think some FT fibers would be used on steep hills on the bike, espec in the shorter races???

Quote Reply
Re: The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles??? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Elite Distance Runners are up to ~ 80% ST.
It's hard to know what happens beyond that.

Are their type I fibers in a maximally trained state?
If yes, then Type IIa fibers are helpful for additional force production. If not, then FT fibers may not be needed.
Because ~2 hour events are run at moderate levels of lactate, there is some Type II activity. This means there is enough force requirement that they are called upon. Ie. the ST fibers cannot do it on their own.
In the current state, I propose that if you were to "cut out" the FT fibers of elites, their times would get slower.
With time, would this allow them to train their ST fibers to make up the difference? I don't know, but I find it doubtful.

Robert - Thx for responding, you were one of the STers I was thinking of when I posted this. So, what about for ultra-long events, such as the 24-hr run and deca-iron events???

Also, another Q: have studies been done evaluating the % ST vs FT fibers across the body??? IOW, does it ever happen that a person has 80% ST in their legs but 80% FT in his/her arms/shoulders??? Is this possible??? Just a question that occurred to me when thinking of a few STers who swam the 50 free in college but then became pro tri guys or quite good amateurs.

Cheers,
Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Would you think some FT fibers would be used on steep hills on the bike, espec in the shorter races???

If you had them you will use them, the question is do you need them. I would think not.
Quote Reply
Re: The Ideal Triathlete: Would he/she be all ST muscles or would he/she need some % FT muscles??? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You may want to pose this question to Sebastian Weber who will be in Boulder in early August (3rd and 4th) to present his ideas on the testing (especially the role of lactate testing) and training of athletes mainly endurance athletes. Sebastian maintains that controlling the glycolytic capacity is the unnoticed game changer in endurance performance which is about the role of fiber type and their capabilities and capacities.

http://www.inscyd.com/workshops/

Here is a brief bio of Sebastian

Sebastian Weber, coach of 4x time World Time Trial Champion Tony Martin has worked with best athletes and Teams in the sport for more then a decade, including: Peter Sagan, André Greipel, Andrew Talansky, Cannondale, Katusha, Lotto, HTC-Highroad.

Sebastian is a consultant to several organizations, includung the french national swimming federation, cycling ireland and numerous private coaching business in europe and the US. He has his roots in coaching amateur and recreational athletes and founded the STAPS coaching & testing business in 2006.

Sebastian has just launched his new website featuring his software for analyzing an athlete's current development for several parameters. See his graphic illustrating this.

See http://www.inscyd.com
-------------

Jerry Cosgrove

Sports Resource Group
http://www.lactate.com
https://twitter.com/@LactatedotCom
Last edited by: Jerryc: Jun 27, 17 11:33
Quote Reply