Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's new in aero helemts?
Quote | Reply
I haven't paid attention to any new aero helmets in the past several years. Has there been any real advancement? Is it mostly just a crapshoot picking one unless you do some actual testing? I tested a few different options in the wind tunnel 3-4 years ago and ended up keeping my Wingspan. I don't remember exactly which I tried - Giro Advantage, Spec TT2, and Spiuk Krono maybe?

Check out this gem they caught of me stretching my neck at Raleigh 70.3 a few weeks ago #notaero :)

Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro Aerohead and the Specialized S-Works TT have been popular

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiuk Kronos is still one of the fastest long tail helmets, although venting is very minimal. Currently, I use the Smith Podium for halfs and fulls. Still use my Kronos for Olys and Sprints.
Have been using my Smith Podium this season so far, and really love it.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well other than the short tail stuff, about the only revolutionary helmet is the Aerohead. I say this because it is the first helmet to really embrace the idea of making the leading edge a true airfoil shape, rather than a sphere.

It works well on me and it is roomy and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried/tested the Scott Cadence Plus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is definitely too high... seriously.

TH3_FRB wrote:
I haven't paid attention to any new aero helmets in the past several years. Has there been any real advancement? Is it mostly just a crapshoot picking one unless you do some actual testing? I tested a few different options in the wind tunnel 3-4 years ago and ended up keeping my Wingspan. I don't remember exactly which I tried - Giro Advantage, Spec TT2, and Spiuk Krono maybe?

Check out this gem they caught of me stretching my neck at Raleigh 70.3 a few weeks ago #notaero :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see the bike I sold you about 6 years ago is still on the road!
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Well other than the short tail stuff, about the only revolutionary helmet is the Aerohead. I say this because it is the first helmet to really embrace the idea of making the leading edge a true airfoil shape, rather than a sphere.

It works well on me and it is roomy and comfortable.

I think the S-Works TT is a better design. Drag neutral without the visor is a big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably depends on if you like a shield. There is no way I would need/want to ride an Aerohead without a shield because high altitude and low humidity.

The Seletor, Lazer, and Specialized are all about the same on me, probably because they are so similar. Aerohead is better. I bet a longer tail Aerohead would be better still, but they seem to have had a more general shape and usage in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that it's impossible to know which helmet is perfect without testing, but what would you recommend for someone with an aggressive position who looks down? Seems like the advantage 2 is better if you're looking up a lot. Have a giro air attack now but know that there are faster options.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't look down, practice looking forward without raising your head. You're not safe, and others in the race aren't safe with you looking down.

oscaro wrote:
I know that it's impossible to know which helmet is perfect without testing, but what would you recommend for someone with an aggressive position who looks down? Seems like the advantage 2 is better if you're looking up a lot. Have a giro air attack now but know that there are faster options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey is your seat a little high? (not sure if this should be pink)

edit: Damn! I thought I was first!

Last edited by: tristorm: Jun 24, 17 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Don't look down, practice looking forward without raising your head. You're not safe, and others in the race aren't safe with you looking down.

oscaro wrote:
I don't look down, though my head is faceing down. My eyeballs are looking forward so I see at least a bit ahead of me. Then every now and then I will look up a bit more to scout the terrain.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good :) sometimes I wish my eyes could see through my skull.

oscaro wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

oscaro wrote:
I don't look down, though my head is faceing down. My eyeballs are looking forward so I see at least a bit ahead of me. Then every now and then I will look up a bit more to scout the terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a very respectable option and has served me well. I'm interested in something new but it's tough to justify dropping $5-8k for marginal gains. I just put eTap on it this winter so now that it's 11spd and electronic there isn't much else a new bike would get me. That doesn't mean I still don't want something new :)

pokey wrote:
Good to see the bike I sold you about 6 years ago is still on the road!
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Your seat is definitely too high... seriously.

Meh. I'm pushed back on the saddle compared to me riding position and standing on that leg to stretch my back and neck. It's not a great photo for evaluating that stuff. My position literally hasn't changed in 5 years since I was fit by Paraic. Shit, those are even the same shoes I bought during the fitting session. I think it's time for a new pair of shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking down isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me it's faster than looking forward

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What's new in aero helemts? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh noes! Round bottle... I hope Dev doesn't see this!

desert dude wrote:
Looking down isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me it's faster than looking forward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends how n what the tail of the helmet is doing. If you can rotate the helmet back to keep the tail on your back, then stick with the tried and true aero helmets (Aerohead, Specialized, P-09, Selector). If the tail is waggling around in the air above your back, the the Kask Bambino or the short tail POC would be good general choices. I tested with about 5 other people last year and the Kask was only best on one person. He was a "down looker"
Quote Reply