Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit?
Quote | Reply
What other changes should be made when going lower up front? Cleat position? Saddle height?
Quote Reply
Re: Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 5mm? I would't change anything unless you had removed more spacers recently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fahgeddaboutit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
What other changes should be made when going lower up front? Cleat position? Saddle height?
For a change that small I think you can make the change and ignore everything else.

A significant change might change how a rider contacts a saddle and require a saddle tilt change or positional adjustment. In some cases, might even create a scenario where the saddle no longer feels comfortable and a different saddle is needed. But for 5 mm (assuming your fit is pretty good already) you're safe.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested in this ... :-)

At what point should other changes start to be considered ? Is there a rule of thumb that could be applied based on the position being 'OK' now ?

10mm ? 15mm ?

Any guidance really appreciated.

Cheers,

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Interested in this ... :-)

At what point should other changes start to be considered ? Is there a rule of thumb that could be applied based on the position being 'OK' now ?

10mm ? 15mm ?

Any guidance really appreciated.

Cheers,

There's no guideline, really. When a customer asks us if they can raise or lower the cockpit by 5-10 mm, we normally encourage them to go ahead. If they want to go beyond that, we ask them to come in and let us take a look to understand both why they want to make a change and to understand how those changes effect their position.

And of course, they have to tell us how the changes have affected saddle comfort. The line I normally use is "we can tell you with great authority whether you're in a decent position, but we can't tell you with any authority whether that position feels any good. You have to tell us."

Overall, we try our best to get the customer to tell us what they feel, not what they think they need to do to fix it. I can't tell you how many times shoulder and neck discomfort is the result of armpad width, armpad fore-aft position, armpad rotation, or aerobar angle and not the result of how low or high the cockpit is set up.

Not sure that's helpful, but hope it gives you a bit of insight into how I think about it.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jun 23, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Removing spacer (5mm)...what changes to fit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought NBD as well, oh man did I get told.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?do=post_reply_write;quote=1;parent_post_id=6258845

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
[..]That is 5mm lower to the ground I can get where wind speed is less and lowers my center of gravity while moving my foot closer to the pedal. [..]

OP. It's a bicycle. If it feels fine after the change, done; if not, change. 5mm is almost quite literally 6 hair diameters.
Quote Reply