Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

George Wright passed away
Quote | Reply
George Wright M60-64 finished 2nd this year at IM Hawaii World Championship with an outstanding time of 10hrs 48min. While riding up Santiago Canyon Nov 26th, he had a heart attack and died on the side of the road.
This is scary because we all think we are fit doing our sports and most of us look the part, yet I guess its whats on the inside that counts. You never know when it will happen. Good for him that he did what he loved best and was able to reach the top in his pursuit of excellence. He also was the coach of an outstanding xcountry team in California.
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [polarbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man... that hurts!
I met George at my first triathlon - Newport Beach Kring & Chung Sprint. He passed me on the run. I could hear hiim coming, with a really high cadence. Nothing I could do, he was at least 10 years my senior and kicking my ass. Since then I've always enjoyed seeing his results, including this year's Kona. He's been my inspiration. I'm inspired now, that, if I'm to go, that I go like him.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recent article on George...
http://tinyurl.com/d8mmk

Quote Reply
George Wright passed away [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad deal. Myself and two buddies had just got to the top of the hill (going the other way in Santiago Canyon) , and saw George laying on the side of the road. He was being administered CPR and Heart Massage. I didn't know who he was until yesterday. It is a very humbling experience to see something like this. From everything I have heard, he was one terrific guy who will be missed by many...

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, I devised a system to equalize the performances of all triathletes, irrespective of age or gender. On an age-graded basis, George Wright graded in the top ten of all-time, pro or age group. Had the sport been invented a couple of decades earlier, he likely would have become a world champion.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [LADAVIDSON] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not like to read this kind of stuff, but many of here, including me, probably hope to go the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [LADAVIDSON] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only found out about George because I keep track of all the top contenders in my AG. Certainly George was right up there with the best of them. I didn't know him personally, but we in the triathlon sport have a close bond to each other. Probably because of the pain we suffer and the great accomplishment we feel when we do a IM race. He will be missed as a person and a seasoned competitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, NO! this is beyond the beyond, as barbara has cancer that's spread, and she's the one i've been praying for. there was a nice article on both of them, anent the cancer and their tri-lives, mutual support, etc., fairly recently in an orange county paper. re george harboring any heart problems: who'da thunk it?!?
both wrights are nice, nice people, long time tri people, always helpers and supporters of fellow triathletes and newbies.
the tel. # i had for them is not functional. if someone on ST has the current one, please let me know.
thanks.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the tel. # i had for them is not functional. if someone on ST has the current one, please let me know."

i will find out and let you know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That always worries me, especially since George and I are the same age. How can someone train and race for so long at that high a level and then have a heart attack on a training ride?? You would think ANY heart problem would have shown up sooner. Racing like that is harder then a stress test you would get at a doctors office. Also, my brother had a complete physical EVERY year, including a stress test and was always given a clean bill of health. He cam to visit me here in Canada and I took him to the mountains and noticed how tired he was and always lagging behind. I thought maybe it was his job, working midnight shift and he was just tired. Well about 6 mos later he had quadruple bypass surgery!! You know, you just never know!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all in the genes it seems. Some people work out like mad and die in the 40's and others treat their bodies like crap and live forever.
Some people are more prone to certain types of issues. I am prone to high Cholesterol so I have to watch it.
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too - I am at 170 with all the I do. And I was thinking the same thing at my breakfast joint as I am scarfing down oatmeal and the frail older gentleman in the booth next to me is smoking away and eating eggs, bacon and sausage.
Quote Reply
Re: George Wright passed away [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Article on George's final ride: www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/ocoutdoors/columns/article_867786.php
Subsrcription required to read.

Also, I received this email from a friend:

To: ncttsecretary@hotmail.com
Subject: George Wright's passing
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:27:14 -0800

Hello,
If you have not heard, there is some very sad news for our Triathlon family this week.&nbsp; On Saturday at the team bike ride George Wright passed away. His wife Barbara is someone we have been paying close attention to lately as she battles cancer. There was recently an article about this wonderful couple in the OC register. The author has recently done a follow-up on George that you may find interesting; It is attached.

The services "Celebration of Life" for George Wright will be held Saturday December 10th, 11:00am in the Polytechnic High School Auditorium. Poly High School is located at: 1600 Atlantic Blvd., Long Beach. TELEPHONE: (562) 591-0581 FAX: (562) 591-0631.

Barbara Wright has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to the George Wright Memorial XC Scholarship Fund. The scholarship fund is being established at Poly to provide scholarships for runners in need. Athletes will be supported in a variety of ways, including the purchase of shoes, uniforms, and financial support in competitions. If you are interested in donating to the fund, please send your check made out and sent to: Long Beach Polytechnic High School (The George Wright Memorial Scholarship Fund) c/o Long Beach Poly HS, 1600 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813.

In lieu of this event there has been interest in conducting a CPR class. If you would like to be part of a the class, please email Dan at "ncttpresident@hotmail.com" The class will have a fee (still unknown) and will take place at the end of December or the beginning of January.

Sincerely,
Erin Hubbard
2005/2006 American Interbanc Triathlon Team Secretary

Quote Reply