Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heel pain from long drive or training?
Quote | Reply
I drove 11 hrs in one day before a 70.3 in flip flops. My heel didn't bother me driving down. But it seemed to get aggravated on my way back. Its been lingering for almost 10 days now. But since it's been lingering is it from training hard after the race? PF?
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain from long drive or training? [endurancealex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered the same thing about driving and various right side niggles I get.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving like that cannot be good and could be the cause.

Good shoes, cruise control as much as possible, and frequent breaks seems important to me.

I do compression socks sometimes as well.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Man, A 70.3 in flip-flops? now thats an ironman. :P

In seriousness, I know your pain although I drove 12 hours home in running shoes. I felt every bit of the stiffness and pain after the drive home as I did the morning after the race although the drive home was a week after the race. I still attribute it to the race, and not the drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From experience It's the combination of all three. Racing, Driving 11 hours and wearing flip flops. Go on to You Tube and search MobilityWOD and find heel pain. The more expensive option is get a deep tissue massage. Something in the chain from your heel to your hip is tight.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain from long drive or training? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was because I had fairly new bike shoes but I did plenty of rides in them before race.
I've done the quick turn around before a race (drive 10 hrs, race, come home). But I think I stopped more. And I was in different cars so maybe pressure was less on heel. Maybe I could have used more recovery after race and I just aggravated it. Hopefully I didn't start something that will linger for a long time. It seems bike hard aggravates it more than running for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain from long drive or training? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wore shoes tight.....caused Haglund's syndrome but late in career. The podiatrist that saw me was a figure skater and had same problem. Fix is pretty simple. A pad. Rest and ankle mobility did not resolve. Pad was Cheap and effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you end up doing, also include getting out of the car and walking around briefly every hour after the race if your legs are stressed. This helps prevent blood clots and speeds up healing. It only takes a couple of minutes and makes a big impact on your health. If you're on a plane, get up and walk to the bathroom even if you don't need to pee.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go stretch :-D! Seriously, I used to have heal pain while running. After seeing a foot doctor and PT, and then getting into stretching from the PT's guidance, it all went away. The foot doctor pointed out that one of the large tendons going down the back of the leg attaches to the foot just under the heal. If it's tight, it'll pull on your foot and heal and lead to discomfort. For me, it only became painful after I started running. Stopping, stretching, and then resuming running and the pain was gone.

Also, if you drive stickshift, I can confirm that hours on the clutch will cause much niggles and pain. I usually spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic and suddenly many of my recurring "injuries" went away after switching to an automatic.

HTH!
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain from long drive or training? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
... If you're on a plane, get up and walk to the bathroom even if you don't need to pee.

+1 on that! I feel so much better after travel these days after adopting a habit of "going to the bathroom" every 2 hours, regardless of how long the flight. I also prefer going to the one furtherest away just so that I can walk more on the flight. No sense landing and being all tight from sitting still!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurancealex wrote:
I drove 11 hrs in one day before a 70.3 in flip flops. My heel didn't bother me driving down. But it seemed to get aggravated on my way back. Its been lingering for almost 10 days now. But since it's been lingering is it from training hard after the race? PF?

This is so weird, but I experienced the same this week. Not a race but a big double training session, which I drove back home from in flipflops. Lingering heelpain since.

Weirdest of all is that I went out for a long mountainbiketraining today expecting making things worse.. and it actually seems to have dissapeared during training.
Quote Reply