Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Insurance Question
Quote | Reply
Sure someone here knows the answer to this.

My car got backed into. The other driver's insurance is paying for it, sent out an adjuster and they cut me a check for the damage. Now I will probably get the damage fixed but could I just pocket the check and drive a dinged up car, or is that some sort of insurance fraud?
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can pocket the check.

unless you staged the accident, or are claiming damage that was already there before the accident, in which case insurance fraud has already been committed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sure someone here knows the answer to this.

My car got backed into. The other driver's insurance is paying for it, sent out an adjuster and they cut me a check for the damage. Now I will probably get the damage fixed but could I just pocket the check and drive a dinged up car, or is that some sort of insurance fraud?

You can pocket the check. The insurance company is making you whole, whether that be by paying to have the damage fixed, or by compensating you for the drop in your car's value caused by the (unrepaired) damage. EDIT - the insurance company doesn't explicitly pay you for this drop in value - but by cutting the check to you they're basically making the decision yours.

I got backed into last year, got the check for the damage and cashed it but I've yet to get it fixed.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jun 21, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but wanted to see what others had to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you currently have a loan on the car, you may have to fix it. Read the loan agreement, it probably states this. If you own it outright, you can do whatever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:
If you currently have a loan on the car, you may have to fix it. Read the loan agreement, it probably states this. If you own it outright, you can do whatever you want.

This.

To the OP: If you are leasing, it almost certainly requires this. Less common with a loan, but, still frequently a provision in the agreement. The car is the collateral on the loan and the loan company may require repairs.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:

Thanks, yes I own the car outright.
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
bm wrote:

This.

To the OP: If you are leasing, it almost certainly requires this. Less common with a loan, but, still frequently a provision in the agreement. The car is the collateral on the loan and the loan company may require repairs.

These are good points.. my car is paid off so this didn't even cross my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This same issue was presented by the accountant seat holder in my business networking meeting last week. They made the point that you can cash the check, but expect to be taxed on any amount not used for the purpose in which the check was issued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
bm wrote:

This.

If he had a loan the check would've also been made out to the loan company which would prevent him from just cashing it.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
This same issue was presented by the accountant seat holder in my business networking meeting last week. They made the point that you can cash the check, but expect to be taxed on any amount not used for the purpose in which the check was issued.

How would the IRS know? Would the Insurance company file some type of I-9/W-2 Style form?
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [madcap95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madcap95 wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

How would the IRS know? Would the Insurance company file some type of I-9/W-2 Style form?

Yes, anything over $600 I believe is what the accountant said. This accountant had a few clients who have ended up with insurance settlement checks and had decided "oh, let's take a cruise" instead of "I really need to replace that roof".
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
madcap95 wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

Yes, anything over $600 I believe is what the accountant said. This accountant had a few clients who have ended up with insurance settlement checks and had decided "oh, let's take a cruise" instead of "I really need to replace that roof".

We have had hail damage the last two years. Well over 30k for one claim and 10-15k for another and never received anything and we cashed a lot of the checks and then just paid the money to the contractor. So there must be more to it than this.
Quote Reply
Re: Insurance Question [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
JSA wrote:
bm wrote:

This.

If he had a loan the check would've also been made out to the loan company which would prevent him from just cashing it.

Not true. The insurance company contracts with the owner, not the loaning company.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
JSA wrote:
bm wrote:

This.

Not true. The insurance company contracts with the owner, not the loaning company.

Every car loan I've had has them listed as a "loss payee" on my insurance policy.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. They will be considered a lienholder on the car and their name will be included on the check.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did that a few years ago with my wife's car. Kid's foot slipped off the clutch and he bumped her at a stoplight. But a little ding in the rear bumper cover. Because it is plastic there is no fixing it, has to be repainted and all. Total came to $500 to fix it. I can see the ding cause I know where it is, otherwise it is hard to pick out so we pocketed the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
JSA wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
JSA wrote:
bm wrote:

This.

Every car loan I've had has them listed as a "loss payee" on my insurance policy.

Never had it. Never seen it. I got a check once, wifie got one once, and my son got one once. All 3 vehicles had loans. All 3 checks paid directly to us.

I've had USAA and State Farm. Never listed any loan companies on any policy.

Quote Reply