Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Santeetlah (Robinsville, NC)
Quote | Reply
This may be a long shot but I wanted to see if there is anyone that ever rides out this way? My friends along with my wife and I stayed on the lake there and we are heading out again for the 4th. The lake is absolutely perfect for open water and I wanted to see if anyone had any routes into the smokies or around the lake I could check out.

Thanks in advance

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Santeetlah (Robinsville, NC) [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding around there is incredible, just expect to climb. A lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Santeetlah (Robinsville, NC) [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what distance range interests you want to ride but, the Cherohala Challenge route is outstanding, even though it is 112 miles. The small lakes along 129 in Tennessee are gorgeous. On your own, the tail of the dragon (hwy 129 into NC) can be a bit risky. Fast sport cars used to race on it all the time. Motorcycles are all over it too. Weekdays probably not as bad. The metric route is plenty good too, an up and back on the Skyway with a good bit of climbing. As you probably already know, the views from the Skyway are spectacular. And of course you can merely ride around Santeetlah, it's about 25 miles - or a few more if you go into Robbinsville.

You can also ride from the lake to Fontana Village (Tapoco Rd, which is 129, to Meadowview then to FV). Then turn around. I have not done a lot of riding around Fontana Lake but it's very nice too. You would mostly be on Hwy 28 - and it can get congested at times.

If you have a mtb then it's imperative that you ride into, and around Cades Cove, assuming you have not already done it. I usually park off 129 at the intersection of Parsons Branch Road, then ride PBR into Cades Cove and back.

I can't help you much more than this. But the area is outstanding. Joyce Kilmer is beautiful. I can't overemphasize how nice that Cherohala Challenge century route is but, it is long.

http://www.smwbikeclub.org/cherohala-courses/
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Santeetlah (Robinsville, NC) [JDelong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDelong wrote:
Riding around there is incredible, just expect to climb. A lot.

Climbing will be useful. I need to prep for 70.3WC.

I'm looking forward to it. I took my Tri bike last year ( because that all I had ) never used it and just got into the water and ran each day. I also made it a goal to find as many rope swings as possible! I'm taking my road bike this year and I'm really looking forward to seeing some awesome views!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Santeetlah (Robinsville, NC) [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH, we traveled through this area as part of a point-to-point training camp this past summer. I had some previous exposure to this area having done the Cherohala Challenge in 2016. Gorgeous area, great routes, loved the Skyway. One of our afternoon workouts included an open water swim in Santeetlah Lake - it was clear/clean and the lake had almost no activity on it. Very picturesque having the shoreline largely undeveloped and having the mountains as a beautiful backdrop.

I'm wanting to do another training camp down there, but rather than just passing through the area, I would have us use either one of the campgrounds near the lake or a hotel in Robbinsville (still unclear how much people want to rough it and keep costs down) and use the area as home base.

A couple of questions:
1)Have you run into any issues with open water swimming on the lake (fishermen, boaters, park service people giving swimmer a hard time)? We didn't the day we were there, but wasn't sure if it's always that way or if we got lucky. We're thinking we'll have a kayak out on the water w/ swimmers and having each person with a swim buoy for safety (to be seen and minimize risk of drowning).
2)Do you have any experience on riding mountain bikes on the "trails" (fire roads, National Forest access roads) in the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Wilderness areas? It looks like there is a great network of these roads that you can up into the mountains (towards the higher elevations on the Skyway) and that it could be a nice alternative to the roads for getting an epic long day in the saddle.
3)Are there any running trails you would recommend in the area? I see hiking trails on maps, but my guess is they may be a bit more technical and not enable a more relaxed jaunt in the woods.

I agree w/ you 100%, that Cherohala century route is very nice!!

Thanks.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply