Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [Princess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After much discussion, my wife and I are contemplating this very move, but not for retirement purposes (more to start everything). Anyone have any opinions on what is the better location for medical professionals? We are both inpatient practitioners (ER and Trauma @ Level 1) and have two small kids.

***sorry to hijack the thread!

Quote | Reply
Also - to throw a wrench in everything - Asheville continually gets named for #1 place to retire in US. Can't speak to it's bike friendliness but it's a very outdoorsy type area.

Either way from CLT or Raleigh it's an easy drive for a nice weekend getaway.
Quote Reply
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [NickG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickG wrote:
After much discussion, my wife and I are contemplating this very move, but not for retirement purposes (more to start everything). Anyone have any opinions on what is the better location for medical professionals? We are both inpatient practitioners (ER and Trauma @ Level 1) and have two small kids.

I'm really not familiar with either place but I suggest you both learn a little patients.
Quote Reply
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
NickG wrote:

I'm really not familiar with either place but I suggest you both learn a little patients.

Related to the slower pace of life?

Quote | Reply
Those are weird choices imo. Look at Asheville, Charlottesville, Greenville SC, Chattanooga, Richmond (had to slip RVA in there, my hometown and the best place in the mid atlantic).
Quote Reply
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't made decisions yet- consider Winston-Salem. We have a large medical community and a city that (seems to me) is the next cool thing. 3 major universities, museums, livening downtown, historical neighborhoods, great schools, plenty of outdoor access, mild weather. We moved from NYC 4 years ago and love living here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Princess wrote:
Has anyone retired to either Raleigh or Charlotte NC? I looked through the old threads but didn’t see anything from anyone of retirement age. My husband and I are retiring at the end of this year and are trying to decide between the two places. We live in the Bronx now and visited both last summer and there are pros and cons to each. Would like some feedback from anyone in our age group who lives in either place.

1. Don’t want to drive everywhere – Charlotte seemed to be more suited to this
2. Want a nice bike community – saw a lot of sharrows in Charlotte, but no one riding (though it was about a billion degrees when we were there). Saw more riders in Raleigh/Durham.
3. I’m a personal trainer/fitness/IDC instructor. My training clients are mostly seniors and I'm hoping to continue. And would like to start doing some small tris again. (I’m retiring from my full time “day” job.)
4. I know both places have excellent Masters swim programs.
5. We’re not interested in living in the suburbs and especially not interested in 55+ communities.
Thanks!

I know this request is old, but have you thought at all about Clermont FL??? I lived in Naples area then West Palm Beach, before Tucson for 5 years. When I was in Tucson I always had friends training in Clermont and didn't get it until on a whim I came here. It was 100% what I never expected. Amazing community, small, but close to an International airport. We have the NTC with amazing outdoor pool and hours, amazing trail systems and lake front. They are working on creating coast to coast bike trail, the foundation already exists here in Clermont. It is rolling country surprisingly and temps are great. We have an incredibly engaged endurance community and have a Park Run setup with a Free Weekly 5K every Saturday that gets a crazy turnout.

I also have lived in Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Springfield (IL), Champaign (IL), Downtown Chicago and San Diego for reference to provide some perspective.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if your heart is set on those locations, but after a 6mo road trip across the country and considering several places including Charlotte and Raleigh, we decided on Greenvillle, SC. Take a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I retired from the military in 2014 and moved to Chapel Hill, NC immediately after. I grew up on Long Island and have lived throughout the country and Chapel Hill has really grown on my family and I. We had the option to live anywhere we wanted and chose based on numerous factors to include access to trails for hiking and mountain biking, road riding, schools, housing cost, hospitals, crime rate, overall happiness “feel” , social activities, restaurants and accessibility to an airport, to name a few. We couldn’t be happier with our decision as there’s a full spectrum of people from college students to retires here to balance it out. Perhaps the best thing is access to both back-country and cultural activities and everything in between either immediately there or a short drive away. If anyone has any questions about Chapel Hill or the Triangle area, hit me up.
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for the replies. In the time since I first posted, we've sold our apartment in NY and chose Raleigh for a variety of reasons. We did look at Greenville SC but it's too small for us.

I'm looking forward to riding Raleigh's extensive greenway system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! You will love it here

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Princess wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies. In the time since I first posted, we've sold our apartment in NY and chose Raleigh for a variety of reasons. We did look at Greenville SC but it's too small for us.

I'm looking forward to riding Raleigh's extensive greenway system.

Before I saw this was an old thread, I was going to say: "Boulder or Denver? Austin or Dallas?".

Enjoy the correct decision!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Retire to Raleigh or Charlotte, NC? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
def check out Chapel Hill too. town has a great feel to it.

+1 on Chapel Hill. I will retire there in (quite) a few years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next