Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are top end wetsuits now a consumable?
Quote | Reply
It seems top end wetsuits in search of ultimate flexibility have become fragile and prone to stretching out etc.

I have a BS helix from 5 years ago that is still going strong, but my latest from Huub (I have 3) have all stretched out and ship water.

For something that costs that much it seems unreasonable that they have become a consumable.

Alternatively, would it be better to get a lesser suit, say in the range of £100-200 and replace it more often?
Quote Reply
Re: Are top end wetsuits now a consumable? [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
It seems top end wetsuits in search of ultimate flexibility have become fragile and prone to stretching out etc.

I have a BS helix from 5 years ago that is still going strong, but my latest from Huub (I have 3) have all stretched out and ship water.

For something that costs that much it seems unreasonable that they have become a consumable.

Alternatively, would it be better to get a lesser suit, say in the range of £100-200 and replace it more often?

How about one better, just get a sleeveless. The top-end wetsuits number one benefit is the flexible shoulders IMHO. I don't want the cheap suits because they are restrictive in the shoulders, even if it just mental that is why I prefer the high-end suits. I have a 2XU X:3 that I used for many years and many races, it isn't super thin but I loved that suit. Now I am swimming in BS helix but these days pros don't get wetsuits that often so really haven't gotten to see the durability but the whole arm panel and shoulders is very thin. It feels great though swimming in it. Durability, unknown.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are top end wetsuits now a consumable? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all come down to how much use it gets. maintenance etc

I do coach a swim squad exclusively in open water during summer long. All atheltes pros and age group have a training suit to take the abuse and a racing wetsuit that is only use for races or rare pre race swims.

so in my experience with a high end wetsuit. after 60-75 swims in a suit over a 1 year period...i see enough deterioration that i would wish to change it if racing with it...

lower end suit seems to take the abuse a little better but are definitly not as flexible....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Are top end wetsuits now a consumable? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
It all come down to how much use it gets. maintenance etc

I do coach a swim squad exclusively in open water during summer long. All atheltes pros and age group have a training suit to take the abuse and a racing wetsuit that is only use for races or rare pre race swims.

so in my experience with a high end wetsuit. after 60-75 swims in a suit over a 1 year period...i see enough deterioration that i would wish to change it if racing with it...

lower end suit seems to take the abuse a little better but are definitly not as flexible....

I do the same thing. Old suit becomes the training suit and put most of the use into the training suit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are top end wetsuits now a consumable? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do the same but my training suit is a size up (when I was bigger) and is definitely too big! It's a good training effect by dragging half the lake with me!
Quote Reply
Re: Are top end wetsuits now a consumable? [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
I'd do the same but my training suit is a size up (when I was bigger) and is definitely too big! It's a good training effect by dragging half the lake with me!
I had the same problem, switched to a properly fitting wetsuit, but went sleeveless because I could not get the same size in sleeved to fit properly.
Even though sleeveless is supposedly slower, I ended up going 2 minutes faster. Unless the water is ice cold, Ill live with the sleeveless.
Quote Reply