Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder if it is a difference in material, material thickness, or the valves. Are the Michelin valve cores removable?

I have Silca valve extenders on my Vittoria latex tubes. Both the front and rear lose pressure at almost exactly the same rate-- they are within a couple PSI of one another every time. It is pretty remarkable from a product consistency point of view.

yeah, good point. I had no extender on the Michelin -- just using a normal box rim. My race wheels have screw-on extenders on them, valve locked open. Could be that it leaks a little air from that.

Although ... I will say that on my Zipp disc, with the valve being closed, I would still need to pump the next day

But not a scientific experiment at all!
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valve extenders and an open valve do not leak.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

yes, sometimes they do. I've put them under water and watched the bubbles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have sold thousands of bikes and have never seen a leak like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

yes, sometimes they do. I've put them under water and watched the bubbles.

If you have screw on extenders where the original valve is left open, then it's not the seal between the extender and the valve head that's leaking...it's the valve head itself. If you removed the screw on extender, and put the tube you are referencing under water, you would see the exact same bubbles.

If you have removable core extenders, and the seal between the extender and the valve stem, or the seal between the extender and the core tip is not sealed air tight, then yes it is possible to have a leak coming from the extender.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I have commuted on a bike which had latex tubes, I'd typically pump them up to like 115 or so in the am, right before heading out. This would leave them roughly around 100-ish for the ride back home.

I'd rather them be a bit too high for the trip in (subject to tire/tube max PSI guidelines), than be too soft for the ride home.
YMMV.

You could also bring a pump to work and top them off again before departing after.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, this was with the extender taken off. The tire had gone flat overnight, I figured there was a small hole. So I pumped and put in water. It was leaking from the valve. BUT it had a small hole also

Out of curiosity I tried the front also. It was leaking very slowly also. Like a little bubble every second or 2

These were Vittoria. I tried a 3rd and it was ok
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry...did you say glass based chip seal?!?!? Is this really a thing? Chip seal alone is the bane of the cyclists lives around here where most roads outside of a city or a village that are not state highways (read that as 80%) get this wonderful "pavement life extension technique".
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes for Commute - PSI Lost in 13 Hours? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. My neighborhood got it, and there was a huge increase in flat tires and complaints on Nextdoor for the 1st month or so before the loose fines settled in/rinsed away. I got a gnarly shard in my foot getting the mail barefoot. It's supposed to be tumbled, but apparently some pieces get missed. It has since made a nice, smooth surface, but the early days were awful. Here's a little more infohttps:http://www.pca.state.mn.us/...glass-road-aggregate[/url]
Quote Reply

Prev Next