Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Huub wetsuit stretched around middle
Quote | Reply
I've got a huub aerious 2, it's only been worn for a few races and a bit of training, but it seems to have stretched around the mid drift only.
It lets in water down the back and pools around my middle.
It's a small tall and feels fairly snugg on its had 1 seasons use is it time for a new one?
Anyone else notice this with the huub? I must say, although I like the flexibility of the huub it is so stretchy I find they don't last long. An SMT Archimedes I had was barely useable after a season due to being stretched out.

Oh and before anyone says anything I'm about 69kg and pretty thin so haven't stretched it out!
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit stretched around middle [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Huub Aerious 2. I liked swimming in it but hated the zip and was terrified of damaging the neoprene. Felt like it was made of crepe paper. I put all sorts of little nicks in the material despite being what I deem to be careful.

I would be reluctant to buy one again unless I could get my hands on it first and see if they are a bit more durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had the stretching issue on my Archimedes but it is on the fragile side. It gets finger marks really easy and I completely ripped the hip seam last month.. fun repair... Still love the suit though and probably wont every switch brands since its so comfortable in the water.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit stretched around middle [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they are very fragile. The 2 is more fragile than the 1.
Nice to have flexibility but at what cost?

Brings up the question, are these high end suits 1 seasons use only?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was swimming last night in my Huub Archimedes suit and I could feel water moving around my lower back, so I think mine has stretched too.

I was chatting to a few Huub wearers at a race over the weekend about what we thought of the suits at the general consensus was that they're really nice suits to wear, however the quality of their stuff is pretty poor. It seemed normal that people have had their suit replaced under warranty at least once due to one issue or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit stretched around middle [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'm on my 6th due to manufacturing quality.
Think I'm going to go back to blue seventy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are using on a weekly basis a suit should last for years.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit stretched around middle [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that's the case with the newer hyperflexible suits.
It's definitely not my experience, whereas the old suit I have is still going strong.

It's pretty rubbish really!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a HUUB aerious 3 years ago and put my finger through the rubber in the thigh area the first time I put it on. After one season there is a hole in the rubber at the bottom of the zipper and quite a few cuts from trying to put the suit on. I have tried to be super careful when putting on the suit but don't seem to be able to avoid the damage. I also hate the breakaway zipper. It's a really fiddly affair trying to get the zip started and if you pull the zipper up too high it breaks away, the whole zipper is open and you have to take it off and start again. That's probably what its supposed to do but I find it a PITA.

Perhaps all the modern suits are quite fragile at the expense of being flexible but my previous suit was a custom made SNUGG wetsuit which lasted me for 20 years without any issues. It had a simple up down zipper, the rubber was thicker and seemed pretty robust to the abuse of getting in and out of it in a hurry. Even after 20 years, with 3mm rubber in the shoulders I seem to swim faster in it than the new HUUB.

As a result I've been back to SNUGG for a custom made replica of my old suit. Their custom made suit is cheaper than the HUUB, I can dictate exactly what thickness rubber I want, where I want it on the suit. I've never had any damage to my old suit, but you can send it back to SNUGG for repair or to replace a panel if needed.

The HUUB was definitely the last off the peg modern suit I will buy.
Quote Reply