Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of purchasing a new Felt bike, and I realized this weekend when test-riding it that the Felt elbow pads are almost directly on top of the aerobar extensions. On my current bike (an old P3 with the old Profile Vision aerobar that came standard on P3s back in 2007), the elbow pads are pretty far off to the sides of the aerobars. I like the old Profile setup, because it allows my elbows to be far enough apart to give me good stability on the bike, and it's also easy on my shoulders. When I test rode the Felt this weekend, my shoulders weren't at all happy with my elbows being as close together as they were on the standard Felt setup. Optimally, on my new bike, I'll use the Felt aerobar extensions (so I can use the built-in Di2), and I'll swap out the Felt elbow pad extensions for a pair from another company that will allow my elbows to be farther apart. I'm hoping to get some help from the collective wisdom on this board regarding which companies offer elbow pad extensions that are set off to the side rather than being almost directly on top of the aerobars. It looks like Profile may offer that option, but are there any others?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go quite wide and have used Profile design and 3T
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you mentioned, profile designs has pad brackets thatgo out pretty far. Thats what I use.

Zipp also makes extension, but make sure to double check the mounting hole spacing.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue and now have a TriRig Alpha X which works really well.

I had a 3T Brezza bar for a while and used the Zipp Pad Extenders as someone else mentioned but these absolutely have a habit of popping their screws so I would avoid those like the plague. Several reports of those failing and there are not that many out there. I have some, I would not even sell them to you.

I replaced those Zipps with the 3T pad extenders. This looks like the original 3T + Zipp extender but replaces those two unites bolted together with a single piece, removing the weak point. I had no issues with that.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syntace C3 clip ons will meet your requirements and you will love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid question, but were the Felts set up as wide as possible? Shops often go for the middle setting. That said, I'm completely ignorant about Felt's aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't really want to put wider pads on the Felt bars - their design (having a separate clamp for the armrests) means that a wide pad position puts a lot of force into the clamp and can cause it to rotate (so your pads drop).

If you like the Felt Extensions, keep those (though you may find Profile Design T3 or T1 extensions to be better for your wrists), but change out the aerobar bracket (the bit that clamps to the basebar, extensions and pads) for a Profile Design J4 or J5, with F35 or F40 Armrests. That way you will be able to go to a wide elbow position without compromising durability.

This is assuming that you're not looking at an IA 1,2,3,4 as they won't allow you to change the bracket.

Of other brands, 3T Vola doesn't go very wide, Vision Trimax does, but they're quite hard to work on. The new Zipp Alumina Clip ons are much better than the old design and would suit your purpose, but I don't know if they've made their way out to stores yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the Profile J5 bracket and F40 TT pads, they allow you to go wider than the J4 and F35 pads and are less bulky (more aero from lower profile). I still felt constrained in the neck and shoulders with the J4 and F35, but now with J5 and F40 I'm exactly how wide i want to be. They are also super easy to adjust and just a really well designed set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Felt?

If it had the Felt Bayonet 3 alloy cockpit I suspect there's no problem and it was just the way they had it set up. There's a lot of adjustability on that cockpit and pad width, fore/aft location and height can all be moved around quite a lot.
I use the Bayonet 3 and my pads are nowhere near being directly over the extensions. The range of adjustability is probably the single best feature of that cockpit.

Definitely take another look before deciding it won't work!
If this is the model you tried, pages 10 and 11 in this manual will show you the available adjustment.

https://www.feltbicycles.com/Resources/Manuals/Felt_Bayonet_3_Alloy_AeroBar_Manual.pdf
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 13, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Felt IA FRD base bar has a wide position. Another set of holes to move extensions out.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I use the Bayonet 3 and my pads are nowhere near being directly over the extensions. The range of adjustability is probably the single best feature of that cockpit.

The maximum extra width of the pads compared to the extensions on Bayonet 3 is 120mm (so if you have extensions at 100mm pads will be at 220)
Profile Design J4/F35 goes to 177
Profile Design J5/F40TT goes to 176 (with quite fine adjustment increments)
New Vision Trimax Clipon goes to 147

Bayonet 3 has massive X and Y adjustment, but is oriented towards being quite narrow in Z (pad width)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an IA10. I love the Felt extensions, but I take your point about not wanting the pads to rotate and drop and using a combo Profile bracket/armrest combo to prevent that. I also appreciate JPerkin2000's suggestion of the J5 and F40 over the J4 and F35. Will check with the bike shop about that setup.

To those who asked if I could just widen the Felt bars to accommodate wider elbows, the answer is yes, but it looks terrible and feels odd. Because the elbow rests are almost directly over the bars, the bars have to be really far apart to give me the elbow separation I want. It will not only look better but will likely be more aerodynamic if I can go with less space between the extensions. That's the situation I have now (about 10cm between the extensions and about 25cm center to center of the elbow pads). I can go a bit narrower than 25 between my elbows, but I was really uncomfortable at the 15 to 17 I tried this past weekend.

Thanks to all for the input. Super helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Brands That Facilitate Wide Elbow/Forearm Separation [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took another look at the Felt website, and you're right; it may work. If cyclenutz is correct, and at a 10cm spacing on the bars, I can achieve a 22cm separation on the pads, that's perfect. 22 is all I need. I'll ask the bike shop to look through the manual on the Bayonet 3 and see what they can do with the equipment that comes standard. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just measured mine. I have 100mm gap betwewn the bars (about 122mm between bar centres) and the gap between the pad inside edges is 120mm. The middle of the pads is approx 200-220mm apart depending on where you take to be the centre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
I just took another look at the Felt website, and you're right; it may work. If cyclenutz is correct, and at a 10cm spacing on the bars, I can achieve a 22cm separation on the pads, that's perfect. 22 is all I need. I'll ask the bike shop to look through the manual on the Bayonet 3 and see what they can do with the equipment that comes standard. Thanks!

If cyclenutnz is correct??? I'm wounded.
I've modelled 17,238 possible configurations for that bar (doing the slider in 5mm steps).
Shop needs to set it up with the extensions to the outside of the basebar clamp. Then put the extensions at 100mm separation and put the pads in the 3rd bolt column (widest)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel wounded no more. Thanks to your posts insisting it could be done, the shop owner has re-assessed what is possible and used the existing Felt equipment to set the bars at 10/22. Thanks again for the help -- and to the others who posted on this thread, as well (Ai_1, in particular).
Quote Reply