Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Liquid nutrition on the run?
Quote | Reply
If you race half/full course with liquid nutrition on the run, would love to hear how you go about implementing it and what you use. I made the switch to liquid nutrition on the bike last year (although it's still a work in progress) and tried my first 70.3 race carrying infinit on my run yesterday. I put 2 servings in a 16oz bottle thinking I could chase it with water at the aid stations, but I only managed about 2 sips. I just couldn't handle the sweetness. Thanks in advance for any anecdotes or advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid nutrition on the run? [stbtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stbtr wrote:
I only managed about 2 sips. I just couldn't handle the sweetness.

Same here.

You can water down your nutrition and supplement some salt pills. Lemon lime heed is pretty damn bland, that's easy on the stomach.

While I struggled with this last year, my solution became to stop trying to bring liquid on the run and work with the course buffet. I do still bring salt pills. But my taste at any given time and temperature on a run is all over the place, found it easiest to just roll in to a table and grab what won't make me yack.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So last year for my full I did nearly entirely the whole race on Tailwind Nutrition. I had two 20 oz bottles with 300 calories in them, and finished my first bottle a bit before halfway, then grabbed the second in my special needs bag. It worked well, and once I finished my second bottle I had them fill it with Gatorade from an aid station and drank that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use EFS Liquid shot in a flask, which easily tucks into shorts/jersey pocket. 400 calories. For a 1/2, I use 1 flask and get water from aid stations. For full, put 2nd flask in special needs. Salt pill every hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stbtr wrote:
tried my first 70.3 race carrying infinit on my run yesterday. I put 2 servings in a 16oz bottle thinking I could chase it with water at the aid stations, but I only managed about 2 sips. I just couldn't handle the sweetness. Thanks in advance for any anecdotes or advice!

(Edit: I saw your other post. Your day was shot before you even got to the run. Way to gut it out though. Keep practicing the nutrition, you'll find something that works for you.)

Which Infinit? Their former Napalm and current Tripwire work great for me. Thicker stuff like EFS and most other gels gave me trouble, even after practicing for weeks with them. I'm a huge Infinit fan. Two servings of their Go Far or Speed sports drinks in a 16oz bottle is nearly triple what their drink mix strength should be. They advertise 1 serving for a 20-24 ounce bottle. Going back to Tripwire, you can jam several hundred calories in a small Hammer Flask, get a few hits here and there and take water from aid stations. I think 400-500 calories in a flask is about what I was using the last two years at that distance.

As always, if you aren't training/practicing with what you're racing then you are setting yourself up for disaster. Good luck.
Last edited by: dangle: Jun 12, 17 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using liquid nutrition on the bike for the last four 70.3 races I have done. In the last three, I always had a small handheld flask in T2 with a more concentrated version of my nutrition in it. I would sip it all the way to the first aid station and then toss the bottle. Then I would just rely on the on-course stuff. I would not use a fuel belt or camelback, so there's no way to carry enough custom stuff to last the whole run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bigger guy (194#). I can race a HIM on "almost" 100% liquids. 3 bottles of Infinit on the bike (960 calories). I took 1 gel on the run in Choo. I switched from water to coke at mile 7.

My coach says a gel/hr on the run for IM. I can't help but think I'll need more (calories), but I don't think I could process them (and I have an iron stomach).

We shall see. I have a 60/11 brick, next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last 70.3 and 140.6 I've carried camelbak bottles with infinit, I go about 400 calories per 21km, so one bottle for a 70.3, and get a second from SN for a full.

While it worked brilliantly in terms of getting the calories in, I got very annoyed with carrying the bottle. I just carried it in my hand for the half, and had a belt with a holster for the bottle that sat on my lower back, which was slightly better in hand.

Both were annoying enough that I have given up on infinit for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a half I do not, I still hold a small flask with concentrated electrolytes, but take gels at aid stations and water.

For a full I mix my own malto/fructose in a 16 ounce bottle. Put about 400 calories in that one and run with it then have a 2nd one in special needs. The self mix has very little flavor/sweetness. On the bike I'll put 800-1000 calories in one bottle and it's not bad to taste. The only two fulls I've done I've found myself still taking a gel or coke at late aid stations
Quote Reply