Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling??
Quote | Reply
I am training for Lake Placid 70.3 on September 10th. We will be on vacation July 1-8. I really don't have a way to bring my bike. Will I lose a ton of fitness not riding for a week? Obviously I will be able to run, but what should I do to substitute for the cycling? Any thoughts/suggestions would be great! Thank you! (We will be in Acadia NP so will be doing a ton of hiking).
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry too much. Hiking (ascending) good substitute workout for cycling - hamstrings, glutes, quads. Running will maintain cardio fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Two weeks might knock you back a little but one won't be a big deal, especially if you'll still be running. It's 2 months out form the race, you've still time for some substantial training after you get back. Unless you're gunning for the podium, forget about it. If you are, then you probably know better than me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chill, enjoy vacation, come back ready to train. If you are a consistent athlete in training most of the time, a week isn't going to ruin you.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others. Enjoy family and vacation. I just took a week off from training and had a great time with my family. Now it's time to dial it in to get ready for IMSR. We'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Don't worry about it. Build it as sort of a rest week and you'll be back to full fitness really quick.

If you really wanted to bike in sure you could find a rental.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry so much about loss of fitness, as I would other consequences from a break in training

Like I've said before: Endorphin Withdrawal is a terrible thing to experience, and horrible to watch

That being said, it's only going to be a week, plus you'll have other things to keep you active and to maintain your regular "fix"

Relax, have fun & send postcards

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do yourself a favor a rent a bike from Bar Harbor Bicycles and do a Park Loop Lap - some of the most gorgeous views you'll ever see on a bike - the park loop is about 5 miles from the bike shop and is ~23-25 miles in length - Cadillac Mtn. climb is a great 1,500 ft. climb with amazing views at the top.

http://barharborbike.com/

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/...53DBF28D58E.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/...EB0762888B4.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/...1A74B4A434B.jpg.html][/url]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several very serious riders I know who work with various coaches and it is quite common to have a mandatory week off the bike right about this time of year as part of their programs. Not only won't it hurt you, it will probably be good for you.

On the other hand, biking is a big tourist thing in and around Acadia so its super easy to rent bikes (road or mountain). The carriage paths in the park are family friendly and well worth half a day. No one will notice you are actually taking them on a cool outing just so you can get an easy spin in ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spent 1 week in the Mayan Riviera doing nothing other walking a shit tonne and minimal recreational swimming. I decided to look at it as a mid-season break. Enjoy your 1 week vacation. I decided to Leave training back home and enjoy this time with the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no cycling expert, but I have quite a lot of experience falling off the training wagon then getting back on, haha. I find that it really takes 2 to 3 weeks for me to really lose it. 2 weeks and that first time back on the bike may not be so fun, but I am usually back to where I was relatively quickly. I'd just try to work my schedule to that week being a scaled back rest week and the rest will probably be a benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are going to Maine for two weeks this summer. I am taking my touring bike because it is like having a second car. I can wander around all day separately from my husband if I want to, carry souvenirs, wear whatever shoes I want, and yes, I will be riding that heavy thing up Cadillac Mountain. I don't anticipate any QOMs on Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
I am training for Lake Placid 70.3 on September 10th. We will be on vacation July 1-8. I really don't have a way to bring my bike. Will I lose a ton of fitness not riding for a week? Obviously I will be able to run, but what should I do to substitute for the cycling? Any thoughts/suggestions would be great! Thank you! (We will be in Acadia NP so will be doing a ton of hiking).

Running still works your aerobic system just like biking and swimming....and hiking, walking, etc. Yeah you might lose a tiny bit of specificity in that week, but 2 months out from the race is no big deal at all.

Enjoy the vacation, make a run week (intelligently) and come back fresh and ready to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from 11 days vacation in England. I managed to run 8 times and lift weights twice. This morning was my first swim in 12 days; it feels like I lost only a little. Tonight I will be on the bike. I should be back in the groove within a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Going on vacation - can I miss a week of cycling?? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
We are going to Maine for two weeks this summer. I am taking my touring bike because it is like having a second car. I can wander around all day separately from my husband if I want to, carry souvenirs, wear whatever shoes I want, and yes, I will be riding that heavy thing up Cadillac Mountain. I don't anticipate any QOMs on Strava.

Did you ever get that watch/app so your husband can find your body if you wander off?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6302314#p6302314

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply