Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 820 mixed reviews
Quote | Reply
Hi All
Managed to get my Garmin 810 run-over last week during a 3 day ride so looking to replace it. Anyone got recent experience of the 820?? The reviews suggest that there were problems with the earlier versions and I see that the Software is now Version 8. I prefer the size to the 1000 but some of the reviews I've read have been pretty poor, especially when it comes to navigation.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 820 mixed reviews [davesberry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and your summary is pretty accurate.

It still has a few bugs, but they're not cripplingly annoying enough for me to bother changing it again e.g. this weekend I was on a 200km ride, stopped at a cafe halfway through for some food and after that it refused to do turn-by-turn navigation any more. Tried stopping the Navigation mode and reloading the route several times but it just wasn't having it, so I had to have the map page on show most of the time and follow the route myself. Also the WiFi is a bit flaky too, sometimes it'll connect fine other times it just refuses to do it and I have to find my phone and use Bluetooth instead; my fenix 3 works faultlessly in this regard, but the Edge 820 seems to have regular issues.

There are a few things that feel like downgrades from the Edge 800/810 as well, which annoyed me at first but I've grown to accept them. For example, the older units had somewhat responsive data field sizes, whereby when you have a page with 4 to 7 data fields on display, it would give you one or two primary data fields in a large-font and then the rest in smaller fonts, whereas the 820 doesn't bother with any of that and just gives you equal spaced rows regardless:

Edge 800:

vs

Edge 820:

Obviously that's not a show-stopper but there's lots of small issues like that, which kinda took the shine off it for me. It works well enough for most of the time, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. The Wahoo Element Bolt seems to be getting good reviews everywhere; I don't have experience of one myself but I'd certainly be tempted to give it a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 820 mixed reviews [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, thats really helpful. Overall Ill probably stick with Garmin for the colour maps and end up using google maps for a back-up on my phone. Agree that Wahoo seems to be a challenger, hopefully this will give Garmin a kick in terms of sorting out some of the issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got one because my 810 batt life wasn't making the cut. I'm pretty happy with it. My biggest gripe compared to the 810 is the touchscreen. Essentially doesnt work with gloves, and even bare fingers seem to be about 25-33% active on the screen. Is this other people's experience or did I maybe get a lemon (either 820 or forefinger)?

I'm almost thinking the 520 is the way to go, buttons work every time and almost everything else is the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. My complaints are with the glitchy software. As someone else said, it's not so bad that I am looking to change. And it's gotten better with recent updates.

Only issue I have now is that when I pull if off the charger, it's already on....which would be fine, but for some reason, it regularly doesn't pick up my HRM and PM. So I go to power off and power back on. It powers off, but the screen stays on the little power symbol in grey scale. I then have to do a soft reset. Then all is fine.

Previously, it would have issues staying connected to my PM. Any time it would have that issue, it would freeze up in the middle of a trainer ride. So if I saw that, I'd just give up on it and use my 920xt for that workout. Again, I'd have to do a soft reset. I'll say they must have worked this all out as it hasn't happened in months.

I like the device itself. Touch screen is not nearly as annoying as I thought it'd be. I mean I rarely change screens on a ride and it's not all that bad when I need to. I really like the crash detection which has worked already, haha. Luckily I was with a group and went down in about the best spot one could hope to, but if that wasn't the case, it could have been a life saver. In any case, it told my wife where she needed to come pick me up That was really the main reason I got it over the 520.
Quote Reply