Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
I'll stop there, but I would argue that there are many better ambassadors for our sport than AB (who couldn't be bothered to attend the pro panel at St George).

I am pretty sure he wasn't invited to the pro panel
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
I'll stop there, but I would argue that there are many better ambassadors for our sport than AB (who couldn't be bothered to attend the pro panel at St George).

You did mean to write that in pink right? I'd bet $$$$ that he was invited if not begged. It would be insane for WTC to not invite him.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friggin hell, ST bias is absolutely mind boggling! Don't get me wrong, I love Keinle and Sanders, but there is nobody in the world as well known as AB. ST is a tiny portion of the triathlon world, most of the triathlon population wouldn't read into race behaviour anywhere near this much. Just look at YouTube, twitter etc. Find someone who rivals his social media influence, or any other quantifiable evidence that there is a more well known triathlete then fair enough. But otherwise there can't really be any doubt about what he's doing/done for the profile of triathlon, and that nobody else is doing the same!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actions speak louder than words. My child got the opportunity to attend a Brownlee foundation day. AB and JB have organised (packing goody bags and assisting kids) AND financed the opportunity for almost 20,000 kids in the UK and Ireland to have a chance at completing a free triathlon. Their focus appears to be kids and the future of triathlon, not some self obsessed STs, classy beyond belief.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Stumps wrote:
trineuropa wrote:

You did mean to write that in pink right? I'd bet $$$$ that he was invited if not begged. It would be insane for WTC to not invite him.

I am pretty sure I am right!

Brownlee is a sponsored challenge ambassador check out his sponsor logos on his suits.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Colonel Sanders flipped into ITU if he would win 2 out of 3 of his first races

And then the next weekend win at his favoured half distance at a stroll?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahahahahahahah

Brownlee's just put on the classiest 1-2 clinic of all time.

They are who make this sport great.
Last edited by: messien: Jun 11, 17 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think to refer to someone as 'classless' based on about 20mins of a single race is extremely strong.

AB, and JB, are both serious about developing the sport of triathlon and, as someone mentioned above, have been involved in getting thousands of kids involved in doing free mini tris over the last few years and just generally bigging up the sport at every opportunity.

Their success has helped the sport go mainstream here in the UK - WTS races are on a major TV channel!

And from a purely racing perspective, that clinic they just put on at WTS Leeds was pretty damn classy.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
I wonder if Colonel Sanders flipped into ITU if he would win 2 out of 3 of his first races

I'm a big fan of his, but I'm pretty sure he'd never finish in the top half if an ITU-event. ITU-format would expose his weakness big time and partly null-out his strength.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Hahahahahahahahah

Brownlee's just put on the classiest 1-2 clinic of all time.

They are who make this sport great.

Damn impressive - but shame on the chase-pack the first 15mins.

You cannot argue against AB's capacity, but that wasn't really ever at question in this thread, IMO.

Though AB probably drafted less today than last weekend (pink!)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prety classless of Ali to spank the Kona runner up, Slowtwitch poster boy and Olympic Silver and Bronze medalist in the space of a couple of months!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also not sure how you can claim someone isn't good for the sport when literally about 80,000 people watched him win today.

How many triathlons have you seen with that level of spectators?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

I'm a big fan of his, but I'm pretty sure he'd never finish in the top half if an ITU-event. ITU-format would expose his weakness big time and partly null-out his strength.

A good instantiation of your statement would be at Island House Tri and a lot of that was still non drafting so his bike strength was not negated.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

A good instantiation of your statement would be at Island House Tri and a lot of that was still non drafting so his bike strength was not negated.

Even supposing he started the bike with them, LS would also have been dropped by the Brownlees in that technical city centre section yesterday.
Last edited by: messien: Jun 12, 17 4:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Even supposing he started the bike with them, LS would also have been dropped by the Brownlees in that technical city centre section yesterday.[/quote

They would absolutely have demolished him on that section by several minutes. Being super strong cyclists, great bike handlers and having biked together a gazillion miles over the past 20 years might give them a bit of an edge too;) It certainly was a race especially suited to criterium level skills.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Even supposing he started the bike with them, LS would also have been dropped by the Brownlees in that technical city centre section yesterday.

I believe Lionel is the first one who will declare that his bike handling is not at pro level. For sure he would have lost time/contact. Fortunately for him, Kona has 15 or 16 turns (losing count, but I am close) and the only marginally technical turn is when you come downhill on Palani to turn left to do the short loop in town early in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:
I must say I am absolutely loving how salty Brownlee has got some of you guys worked up.

He certainly has generated more interest than ever, we should be thankful for that.

I'm not convinced he'll stay at the LD stuff.

His interview before the race he already mentioned missing the hard man to man racing in ITU.
, and that was after two races.

Added to that the mixed relay in Tokyo, he may well be back at OD full time by next year.

I'm in the camp that there are better ambassadors for the sport - Gomez, Mola, Kienle, Sanders, Murray (if you excuse his blowup against the officials at Hamburg 2016). But as someone said above, as long as he is winning he could give two shits about what people think about him.

As for his future in LD, in a recent interview when asked when he will be going to Kona he said maybe 2018 ... but maybe not. Will definitely need some training in the heat if Kona is on his radar.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit! He's a fine ambassador for the sport, he probably is the only proper household name there's been in Triathlon. He hasn't been arrested, bitten a competitor, caught using drugs, abused or assaulted an official or spectator (I could go on and on) as in other sports.

Other than Gomez who I'll give you is squeeky clean roll model professional I'd love to know how any of the others are better ambassadors for Triathlon?

I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with some newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road tris or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

It's a good job you did 'stop there!'

Some cringe worthy clutching at straws stuff going on there, Kienle works hard does he? Like Ali got to be the best at what he does by sitting on his couch all day playing Xbox!

Outside of Triathlon hardly anybody even knows who any of them you listed are, Ali probably has more Twitter followers than the the lot of them combined (I bet the majority of them arent in the slightest bit bothered he's not coming on S.T and posting his geeky data either! He's one of the faces of Adidas, has his own Triathlon center with his bro. Probably the single most watched/famous clip in Triathlon history of him carrying his brother over the line, 2nd in BBC sports personality of the year last year which is a pretty big deal in the UK. Now has his own home town ITU race which will probably be the best attended on the whole circuit, is the COMPLETE Triathlete! With absolutely no weakness in any discipline and can lay claim to being one of the very best in the sport in each one!

But let's forget all that because for whatever reason he didn't show for a pre race press conference once! Please stop the irrational hate.

I couldn't agree with you more. Let's take golf as an example. Tiger Woods was, and remains to a large extent, the greatest brand ambassador for the sport. It was widely known, though, that he was a prickly character, on a good day. The same could have been said of Michael Schumacher in his peak. Even Jan Frodeno has been known to be rude, on occasions. It's a trait of those who are so single minded and focused on being the absolute best, to the exclusion of everything else. Tiger Woods regularly refused to talk to the media, especially if he had had a bad day, it didn't mean he wasn't golf's ambassador.

There is little doubting that Ali Brownlee has done more to raise the profile of triathlon (outside the rarefied walls of slowtwitch) around the globe. So yes, he is THE ambassador for triathlon. My parents, friends and colleagues all know who Ali and Jonny Brownlee are. They don't have the foggiest (or care, for that matter) who Kienle, Frodeno, Sanders, Mola, Murray etc. are.

I can't quite tell whether it's a xenophobic dislike of a Brit being, unquestionably, the best male triathlete of a generation (if not ever) or whether it ST just hating someone who's successful. Or maybe a mixture of both. It's odd though.

Yes, it does look like AB was drafting. Yes, he should have been called on it. If he had, he almost certainly would never do it again. He was, and is, testing the limits, as he should do. The difference between 1st and 2nd is often fractions of a fraction so the best have to find that tiny amount, wherever they can. The ref's should have penalised him. That's not his fault. He is certainly not classless, that is patently ridiculous and deliberately incendiary (from Pubes, who would have guessed).

How about we all respect him for his achievements and hope that the ref's of the races any pro enters enforce the rules as they are written. If he gets repeated penalties for the same offence, time and time again, perhaps we can then start calling him unsporting. Classless is a whole different category reserved for the likes of Alexander Vinokurov, Julie Miller and similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Jackets wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:
I must say I am absolutely loving how salty Brownlee has got some of you guys worked up.

He certainly has generated more interest than ever, we should be thankful for that.

I'm not convinced he'll stay at the LD stuff.

His interview before the race he already mentioned missing the hard man to man racing in ITU.
, and that was after two races.

Added to that the mixed relay in Tokyo, he may well be back at OD full time by next year.

I'm in the camp that there are better ambassadors for the sport - Gomez, Mola, Kienle, Sanders, Murray (if you excuse his blowup against the officials at Hamburg 2016). But as someone said above, as long as he is winning he could give two shits about what people think about him.

As for his future in LD, in a recent interview when asked when he will be going to Kona he said maybe 2018 ... but maybe not. Will definitely need some training in the heat if Kona is on his radar.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit! He's a fine ambassador for the sport, he probably is the only proper household name there's been in Triathlon. He hasn't been arrested, bitten a competitor, caught using drugs, abused or assaulted an official or spectator (I could go on and on) as in other sports.

Other than Gomez who I'll give you is squeeky clean roll model professional I'd love to know how any of the others are better ambassadors for Triathlon?

I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with some newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road tris or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

It's a good job you did 'stop there!'

Some cringe worthy clutching at straws stuff going on there, Kienle works hard does he? Like Ali got to be the best at what he does by sitting on his couch all day playing Xbox!

Outside of Triathlon hardly anybody even knows who any of them you listed are, Ali probably has more Twitter followers than the the lot of them combined (I bet the majority of them arent in the slightest bit bothered he's not coming on S.T and posting his geeky data either! He's one of the faces of Adidas, has his own Triathlon center with his bro. Probably the single most watched/famous clip in Triathlon history of him carrying his brother over the line, 2nd in BBC sports personality of the year last year which is a pretty big deal in the UK. Now has his own home town ITU race which will probably be the best attended on the whole circuit, is the COMPLETE Triathlete! With absolutely no weakness in any discipline and can lay claim to being one of the very best in the sport in each one!

But let's forget all that because for whatever reason he didn't show for a pre race press conference once! Please stop the irrational hate.

I couldn't agree with you more. Let's take golf as an example. Tiger Woods was, and remains to a large extent, the greatest brand ambassador for the sport. It was widely known, though, that he was a prickly character, on a good day. The same could have been said of Michael Schumacher in his peak. Even Jan Frodeno has been known to be rude, on occasions. It's a trait of those who are so single minded and focused on being the absolute best, to the exclusion of everything else. Tiger Woods regularly refused to talk to the media, especially if he had had a bad day, it didn't mean he wasn't golf's ambassador.

There is little doubting that Ali Brownlee has done more to raise the profile of triathlon (outside the rarefied walls of slowtwitch) around the globe. So yes, he is THE ambassador for triathlon. My parents, friends and colleagues all know who Ali and Jonny Brownlee are. They don't have the foggiest (or care, for that matter) who Kienle, Frodeno, Sanders, Mola, Murray etc. are.

I can't quite tell whether it's a xenophobic dislike of a Brit being, unquestionably, the best male triathlete of a generation (if not ever) or whether it ST just hating someone who's successful. Or maybe a mixture of both. It's odd though.

Yes, it does look like AB was drafting. Yes, he should have been called on it. If he had, he almost certainly would never do it again. He was, and is, testing the limits, as he should do. The difference between 1st and 2nd is often fractions of a fraction so the best have to find that tiny amount, wherever they can. The ref's should have penalised him. That's not his fault. He is certainly not classless, that is patently ridiculous and deliberately incendiary (from Pubes, who would have guessed).

How about we all respect him for his achievements and hope that the ref's of the races any pro enters enforce the rules as they are written. If he gets repeated penalties for the same offence, time and time again, perhaps we can then start calling him unsporting. Classless is a whole different category reserved for the likes of Alexander Vinokurov, Julie Miller and similar.
Good post!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+3

Finally, a voice of reason. Good post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+4 or whatever we are up to.

I know loads of people who have met him around and at races, and he is always very generous with his time. Which has little to do with his race conduct, for sure, but he is a thoroughbred competitor who likes to dish out punishment for a living. I doubt he would be half so successful were he any different.

When it comes to this specific stuff around non-draft racing, how's about this for a theory?.... the lad has spent the better part of half of his life racing draft-legal. He has taken part in a tiny number of non-draft races, and this last one was, really, the first race where he had any traffic ahead of him. He has spent the last 15 years holding a gap of a few inches from the wheel ahead, he might just need to get the hang of it a little bit and learn to exercise better judgement.

And it is a bit of a laugh being described as classless by somebody who was, basically and by his own admission, a semi-professional arsehole for a couple of years. :affectionate winky:
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post.

I think people need to be more aware that yes, he won his first two half-distance races and yes, he's the greatest over Olympic distance but he is also by his own admission still learning the ways of 70.3. Let's give him a bit longer before we write him off as a cheat or whatever you all decided.

As for their ambassadorship for the sport - the BBC Tweeted that 2 million people watched that race on TV yesterday. Plus however many thousands were on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
+4 or whatever we are up to.

I know loads of people who have met him around and at races, and he is always very generous with his time. Which has little to do with his race conduct, for sure, but he is a thoroughbred competitor who likes to dish out punishment for a living. I doubt he would be half so successful were he any different.

When it comes to this specific stuff around non-draft racing, how's about this for a theory?.... the lad has spent the better part of half of his life racing draft-legal. He has taken part in a tiny number of non-draft races, and this last one was, really, the first race where he had any traffic ahead of him. He has spent the last 15 years holding a gap of a few inches from the wheel ahead, he might just need to get the hang of it a little bit and learn to exercise better judgement.

And it is a bit of a laugh being described as classless by somebody who was, basically and by his own admission, a semi-professional arsehole for a couple of years. :affectionate winky:

I'm a massive AB fanboy and I was really looking forward to seeing him hand it to the 70.3 specialists but I was so disappointed to see the coverage of him drafting.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can make an excuse for his riding at the Challenge race it was intentional cheating. I understood the draft rules and found it easy to abide by them in my first race so a professional should have no problem, this would be a legitimate excuse if he was right on the margins ie. 18m or something but lets be honest he wasn't anywhere near that.

Agree that you can't call him 'classless' for it though that's taking it way too far, I get the impression he's just ruthlessly competitive. Still an AB fan, still expect to see him destroy the 70.3 WC but I want to see it done the right way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next