Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken.
Quote | Reply
HI

I have had my pedals since April 2014 used on turbo and on TT bike. I upgraded them to vector 2 last year

I got a tacx neo about 3 months ago so not used them anymore on turbo just use them on TT which is a Look 796 with Zed 3 cranks

Since i took them off my turbo i have had massive L/R balance issues

its getting worse.

today's ride and other rides, around 20 miles in calibrated then calibrated again further on but didn't get any better

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1777395840

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1761284849

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1729116551

I have taken them off torqued them, changed batteries

there was slight play in them so i took them apart and greased but still no luck

I have taken them off the TT and back on turbo and still not much better on the turbo now

basically i think the power is right (I hope)

1) do i need to buy new pedals as theses are knackered - i bought them in 2014 for about 1200 pound and bought the upgrade 2 kit for around 120 last year so don't really want to buy new ones.

2) will garmin fix them or test them if they are out of warranty (can i pay to get them fixed)

3) or is it a software related issue.

Even when i try and ride 50/50 i really have to push with left to get anywhere near

thanks

Jon

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [Hutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks but i have has the pedals for 3 years and always been close to 49/51 or at worst 52/48
im not injured and it was all okay literally in march when they were on turbo and previous rides last year

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1567970452
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [jon.eames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know anyone else that has a pedal based PM?? If so... either borrow them for a short ride or if they have the same size bike as you, ride their bike for a short ride.

Check the balance in that situation... if the balance is closer to 50/50, your pedals are not working correctly.

One other thing... if the balance is wrong... power may be as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest that's what I was more worried about Is the power wrong if the balance is wrong on garmin vectors....]
Last edited by: jon.eames: Jun 4, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [jon.eames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jon.eames wrote:
To be honest that's what I was more worried about Is the power wrong if the balance is wrong on garmin vectors....]

Agree completely. I could care less what my L/R balance is :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would remove them and re-install. Torque them to spec which is very important to L/R balance. Mine are usually never more the 2% apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check your pedal tension.

I've always been no more than 2-3% off, but a few months ago my balance was off by 10-15%. I tried reinstalling and re-calibrating them, but my L/R was still way off. I did notice some occasional click in my pedals. The tension was so loose on my R pedal that I was probably partially clipping out when I was pedaling hard. Once I tightened the tension, the problem was fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jon,

I have my Vectors since January 2015 and upgraded them as soon as v2 was out.

I also had massive L/R issues but software updates mostly solved it. Sometimes I also get random numbers now, mostly in winter when it is cold outside (0-5°C). The Vectors cool down from the cozy temperature in the apartment and I guess the temperature compensation somehow goes very wrong. Leaving the bike outside for 30min to cool before riding seemed to help. Now in summer the most frequent problem is a suddenly drained battery either on the L or R side.

It is a bit frustrating as I also have a first generation power2max and a p2m NG. The both simply work. Wet, dry, warm, cold, whatever...
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [marcofoils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Everyone but I have torqued correctly and taken them off three times and reset angles etc etc etc

I have had them for 3 years so I know the drill by know.

Really annoying as not sure what going on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon,

are you running the latest software (v4.00)? You can easily do the update yourself with the Vector Updater and the supplied ant+ stick.
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if anyone can help Garmin Vector L/R balance issues - are they broken. [marcofoils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep version 4 all installed
Quote Reply