Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up some High 5 IsoGels at IM Wales last year.. very liquid consistency. Their regular gels (i.e. non-"Iso") work well too and are less liquid, but not as thick as Gu etc.

Not sure if they're available in the US but a lot of the UK/Ireland-based web stores have them (CR seems to be the cheapest)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ml-x-25/rp-prod46348

https://www.probikekit.com/brands/high5.list
Quote Reply
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Powerbar Gels, liked that they were thinner consistency but found them to have too much sugar for my stomach. I liked Strawberry Banana.

Using GU Roctane now and happy with them, flavors don't bother me and can't compare to regular GU. Always notice a surge of energy after and the lower sugar is easier on my stomach.

Thinking of getting away from Gels all together. Hate the stickiness of Gels in general. Thinking of trying Infinit TripWire in hand held or duel belt bottle. I use custom Infinit on bike and have good mix dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Infinit powdered gels are pretty great if non-viscous is high on the wants list. Most traditional gels are just too thick for me. Using Infinit with a re-usable flask (like the Hammer Flask) has worked out really well and been quite cost effective.

Infinit's old 'Napalm' had a bonkers amount of caffeine in the caffeinated version. It's more reasonable now at 60mg per 100 calories for the caffeinated version. Tripwire also has a pretty strong electrolyte profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we had a pro stay with us for a race, she squeezed out her gels into her bike hydration system, added water and shook it up. She also did this for the run with a water bottle and her power gels. I started doing the same thing (use fruity type gels, not sure how this would taste with heavy chocolate or caramel type ones), and it is a bit of a hassle having to carry a couple of flasks, but now I can easily get down the gels during the run portion of an ironman. During my last race I took a lemon/lime cliff gel, added it to my flask with some water, then it got mixed up while I ran to the next aid station. Perfect. I would repeat this process every two or three aid stations. I cannot stand taking gels normally anymore, they are just too thick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the EFS Liquid shots for the last 1.5 years, and have found it to work really well. I used GU for awhile and never had an issue, but they changed their ingredients and now they are a bit risky for me to use, since all the ingredients do not work so well for my digestive system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clif gels for me. I also really like the Powerbar non caffeinated stuff but I had a few stomach issues from having them during the latter stages of the bike leg.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely VFuel, it has higher viscosity and great taste. Also has tons of goodies in it. MCT Oil, no fructose, very easy digestion. I have been using them for 2 years, and it is the only gel i use, and i dont get tired of it after 5-6 during full or half distance triathlons.

Highly recommend, not that they are sponsoring me, but i truly believe in it. Trail runners use the product a lot, few triathletes know about it.

Here is a code you can use to get whopping 20% off, 'Onder20%'

Hope you like them, like i do...

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
e-gel does it for me. Great taste in my opinion and the taste doesn't get old after several of the same flavor. Worth a look
Quote Reply
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife swears by Untapped, it is all she uses; from sprints to IMs.
Myself, I'm not too picky and use whatever is available. The mixing in water works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you started this thread. For some reason the LBS is only carrying Gu now, so I raced on 2 of them couple weekends ago. Hurtin'.situation. Too sugary tasting as well.

I've used Hammer twice in the past with great results - Expresso and Chocolate.

Before that I used nothing for up to 2 hours. I don't like to move with food in my stomach...probably not ideal

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
I have tried a bunch and ended up with e-Gel by Crank Sports. The flavors are really good and they are full of complex carbs as well. You have to order them online but if you want to try one, I will send you one.

This... although I primarily use their e-Fuel, which is their powder mix fuel/electrolyte product.

http://www.cranksports.com/products/efuel/

You have to drink water with your gels anyway, so I go with the above.

Quote Reply
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up doing a mix of gels and water in an aero bottle that way I don't have to carry so many mixed bottled. Do you do a concentrated mix for long course?
Quote Reply
Re: Non "Gu" Gels [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
I ended up doing a mix of gels and water in an aero bottle that way I don't have to carry so many mixed bottled. Do you do a concentrated mix for long course?
I mix it per their recommendation, a point where it will be optimal for fueling(you don't want to over concentrate it)... their e-fuel is essentially a mix of gel, water, sports drink all in one. It was a great find for me after several poor races where I wilted on the run.

I'm a short course (Oly) athlete mostly but heavy sweater... I need two water bottles for most Olympic courses and might pop a gel on the front end of the run and hit the first couple of water stations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next