Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unused holes?
Quote | Reply
What do people do to seal up unused routing holes in your aero bar extensions and base bar. My base bar of svet for example has routing holes on the bottom which aren't being used and can therefore catch air, likewise my extensions have extra routing holes further down the extension which my bar tape doesn't cover. Do people just put some tape over the holes? Maybe silicone ? Both are carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ignore the holes or tape. Not really catching much wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The holes in the extensions (carbon t4) are actually facing right into the wind...and the ones on the base bar are to a lesser extent.

Xing triathlete wrote:
ignore the holes or tape. Not really catching much wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3M supper 88 electrical tape should do the trick and hold well for many seasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
What do people do to seal up unused routing holes in your aero bar extensions and base bar. My base bar of svet for example has routing holes on the bottom which aren't being used and can therefore catch air, likewise my extensions have extra routing holes further down the extension which my bar tape doesn't cover. Do people just put some tape over the holes? Maybe silicone ? Both are carbon.

I have a Svet Zero base bar and it has those extra holes on the bottom. They whistled at any speed greater than 10mph. My very simple solution which I have had to implement only once and have since forgotten about entirely was to cover the hole with a small square of electrical tape. No need to complicate it any further.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Ya it's annoying. Do find when you get the base bar truly level, minimizing frontal area, the bull horns feel like they are pointed down? And that you could fall forward off of them? They have a kinda hump to them which prevents this.

noofus wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

I have a Svet Zero base bar and it has those extra holes on the bottom. They whistled at any speed greater than 10mph. My very simple solution which I have had to implement only once and have since forgotten about entirely was to cover the hole with a small square of electrical tape. No need to complicate it any further.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every hole should be used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New QR PR-6 was making a weird noise. Turned out to be the flush rectangular holes on the bottom side of the base bar making a blowing over a coke bottle effect. Covered them with 3-M black tape and that solved the mysterious "invisible wolves" problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here on another basebar. I doubt there was any 'aero effect' but the whistling was finally gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
New QR PR-6 was making a weird noise. Turned out to be the flush rectangular holes on the bottom side of the base bar making a blowing over a coke bottle effect. Covered them with 3-M black tape and that solved the mysterious "invisible wolves" problem.

PR-6: The bike that howls!
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, seriously! I could hear my wife coming down the street and past me with a Doppler effect. Add a disc wheel rumble/whump and it was like the ghost train.
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

did you use the lightweight racing electrical tape of the much heavier standard or long life electrical tape?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just regular electrical tape but I pushed a gold ball into the tape to create dimples for extra savings

tridork wrote:
noofus wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

did you use the lightweight racing electrical tape of the much heavier standard or long life electrical tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Just regular electrical tape but I pushed a gold ball into the tape to create dimples for extra savings

tridork wrote:
noofus wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Gotta get me one of those gold balls! might be enough to pay for a P5X ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
Giant purple butt-plug.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6317077#p6317077

Sorry, it had to be done

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:

^^^ This guy holes.

Also, try sugru. On your bike holes. Not your own.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those holes are probably costing you at least 50 watts!
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

beston wrote:
3M supper 88 electrical tape should do the trick and hold well for many seasons.

^^^ +1

Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:

try telling my wife that :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

Y'know that's could be a sex question,...right?
Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [tabl10s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am shocked this thread didn't go straight into the depths of ST fame - for all the wrong reasons. Carry on...

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Unused holes? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the title of your thread can be mistaken for something sex related you get way more traffic and therefore better responses ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

Did Duffy change his screen name again??
Quote Reply