Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
First and foremost, I'm new to this forum as of this morning. I'm doing the most reading I can in an effort to save you all from the newbie questions. After searching most of the morning, I still cant find any posts or feedback regarding the Felt IA3. I should have it in my hands by Friday. It's my fist tribike. I was fitted extensively at my LBS, with heavy concentration on S & R. Looks like a 56. My road bike is a 2016 Cannondale CAAD12, 56 as well. I got a really good deal on this new in box IA3, and jumped on it since it was only about 700 more than a IA14. The integrated brake and Dura-Ace components alone is worth the price of admission and then some. Im reading that the carbon is higher grade as well-not likely something I would notice or pick up on. So any info/feedback/experience w/this bike would be greatly appreciated. Also, cant find much info on the Felt tires. Im likely going to rent Zipps for my races. How good are these stock Felt TTR2/3 tires? I like my Cont GP4000's on my CAAD, was wondering how comparable they are.

Thanks in advance, great forum you have here.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. That is a fantastic bike. I have an IA16 that I have massively upgraded. I love it.

The Felt tires are OK, but I would dump them for the Continental GP4K2 any day-- that is what I did. I think I found an aero and rolling resistance data point on them from one of Tom A.'s charts, but I cannot remember. They were middle-ish, if I remember correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think I found an aero and rolling resistance data point on them from one of Tom A.'s charts, but I cannot remember. They were middle-ish, if I remember correctly.

A link if you have it, please! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride an IA3 and love it.

The Felt tires are crap. Definitely don't race on them. I do not even train on them. Tom A. has data for the TTR1, but not the TTR2:

https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=2047093726

My whole team is on the IA3. Many guys opted to upgrade the crank, but I'm happy with it. Many guys also changed out the extensions for ones that allow you to bring your hands up a little higher relative to your elbows, which I recommend.

Other than that, with good race wheels, and a good fit, you will not be a disadvantage to anyone.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried searching for something I saw recently, possibly the same thing but I remember felt being at the very bottom, the next day I went and bought contis (felt IA10 owner)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put about 500 miles on my IA3. Love it. Im not too familiar with tri bikes enough that I should know whether or not I need to upgrade parts yet aside from the tires. The bike is heavier than my road bike CAAD12, which is a bit peculiar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't sweat the weight that much. Tri bikes are heavier than road bikes. And, the Felt is heavier than many other tri bikes. It is those big tubes, slicing through the air.

The IA3 is already very well equipped with not much worth changing. The Trimax crank is relatively light and stiff already. You have the carbon light and aero Devox bars. And, you are have Dura Ace mechanical derailleurs. About the only decent upgrades are Ultegra or Dura Ace cassette and chain. Other nice upgrades are Dura Ace shifters and the Dura Ace brake levers. They are lighter and perform better than the microSHIFT & Felt parts.

Luxury upgrades could be things like seat (if you don't like the comfort of the one you have), SRAM Red or Dura Ace crankset, and maybe the rear brake. Super luxury upgrades could be electronic shifting. And of course, a table stakes upgrade would be the wheels to carbon deep dish.

Dump the tires ASAP. They really suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, it is a sweet bike.

If you're at any point not totally happy with your top tube storage situation, don't despair, there are options out there for you, you can even make your bike work like this (felt IA with direct mount DarkSpeedWorks Speedpack 483D):

(A bit more info on how to get that to work on this post: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6348852#p6348852 )

Have a great season,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Other nice upgrades are Dura Ace shifters and the Dura Ace brake levers. They are lighter and perform better than the microSHIFT & Felt parts.

Both 11 speed Microshift bar end shifters are lighter than the current Dura Ace mechanicals. I think their action is pretty great too. I have no Shimano complaints, just saying they are pretty equal to me. The carbon fiber version of the Microshift looks pretty slick too. I agree with about everything else you said, but I would not recommend that somebody dump a Microshift bar end shifter for a Dura Ace unless you were going to break even on price and really liked the look or name of the Dura Ace better.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

The Felt tires are crap. Definitely don't race on them. I do not even train on them. Tom A. has data for the TTR1, but not the TTR2:

I don't know if people realize, but Daniela Ryf has won multiple world titles on the Felt tyres!

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

I don't know if people realize, but Daniela Ryf has won multiple world titles on the Felt tyres!

I think that says more about Ryf than it does about the tires!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upgrade from the base microSHIFT shifters to Dura Ace when I did a overall cockpit and drivetrain upgrade on my IA. There was no major driver, I just did it since I was touching the cockpit anyway and changing out the RD. I like the feel of the Dura Ace much more than the microSHIFT. They click more solidly with a better tactile feel, and it could be my perception, but it feels like they have a better action that enables faster shifting (like maybe it moves further past the click-point than the MS to get the RD into gear faster).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely possible!

Bar end shifters are such low tech stuff that the cables and RD are going to affect the overall feel of the system way more. I think it comes down to perception and preference at this point. It's pretty easy to point out objective upgrades, but the differences between Microshift and Dura Ace 11 speed bar end mechanical shifters are fairly subjective at this point. I'm kind of surprised Microshift doesn't get more love on ST. The Dura Ace stuff works pretty great too. Two great options.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

That despite riding super slow tires, she still crushes it. So stronger than we thought, even.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

If you're at any point not totally happy with your top tube storage situation, don't despair, there are options out there for you, you can even make your bike work like this (felt IA with direct mount DarkSpeedWorks Speedpack 483D):

(A bit more info on how to get that to work on this post: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6348852#p6348852 )

Have a great season,
Greg @ dsw

Do you know by chance what BTA cage is that? I need a mounting arm for my Garmin 520 just like that one!

3toronto Triathlon
Last edited by: 416_CBass: Jan 18, 18 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....
If the Felt tyres are slow, which they do seem to me, and if Ryf is winning on them surely it indicates two things about the athlete:
1. She has sufficient margin over her competitors to absorb the disadvantage and still win.
2. She has chosen her tyres poorly, or for some reason besides rolling resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

If the Felt tyres are slow, which they do seem to me, and if Ryf is winning on them surely it indicates two things about the athlete:
1. She has sufficient margin over her competitors to absorb the disadvantage and still win.
2. She has chosen her tyres poorly, or for some reason besides rolling resistance.

3. Her sponsor (felt) asks her to ride them? :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Zipp Vuka Alumuna BTA mount. But, it may have some custom extension. I believe that the stock Zipp BTA mount is intended for a rear-facing bottle and does not stick out far enough ahead of the cage for a forward-facing bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

That falls under 2 - tyres chosen for some reason other than rolling resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp it looks like.
In Reply To:

416_CBass wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Have a great season,
Greg @ dsw

Do you know by chance what BTA cage is that? I need a mounting arm for my Garmin 520 just like that one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

Felt: "We'd like you to race our tires at Kona."
Ryf: "How much time will that cost me over Conti GP 4000S II's or GP TT's"
Felt: "About a minute and a half"
Ryf: "Cool, I can cover that"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
416_CBass wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Have a great season,
Greg @ dsw

That is my buddies bike. It's a Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA with trisports modification bracket.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt IA3 on its way. Thoughts? [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

please explain....

Felt: "We'd like you to race our tires at Kona."
Ryf: "How much time will that cost me over Conti GP 4000S II's or GP TT's"
Felt: "About a minute and a half"
Ryf: "Cool, I can cover that"
Your point is what exactly?
Are you saying that hypothetical is, or is not, an example of choosing a tyre for a reason other than rolling resistance? The correct answer is that this would be her choosing them because Felt asked her to, and thinking/hoping the loss of time wouldn't cost her the race. i.e. This is a choice made for a reason other than rolling resistance. If chosen on the basis of rolling resistance, then per your own example, she would have chosen Conti in preference. The fact that rolling resistance is a consideration in assessing the risk incurred by that choice is secondary.

Wow, this is really arguing for the sake of it! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Essentially I was agreeing with you, but it a lighthearted humorous way ;)

But it would be interesting to know if a conversation like that actually happened.
Quote Reply