Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm stuck!
Quote | Reply
Hi all! I started Triathlon a little less than a year ago. In the last year in i've done 2 Sprints, 1 Oly, 1 Marathon, 10k and so on.

While there is so much that I love, there's a few things i'm struggling with. Am I alone in these?

First a quick recap from my races:

- In both sprints last year I had done very little training (always solo) and finished last in my AG. All good, learned a lot (like how to have a panic attack in the water LOL)
- Ran the marathon in December in 5.45 hours (yikes! But learned a lot).
- Started Masters Swim in February (BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE. Down to 1:31/100 and love being in the water)
- 10k run was last week and came in at a 9.15/avg, which I was very pleased with.
- As a side note, i'm 30, weigh 195lbs (used to be a "Beachbody guy"....I know... it was all vanity), and am 6 ft.
- 1st Olympic was Sunday. Swim was comfortable and steady. 10 miles into the bike began the stomach cramps from hell. Totally derailed me, had to come out of the aerobars for the rest and walked most of the run. But hey! I didn't finish last in my AG, just next to last. :)

So! Here's my questions concerns:

1) Can I get to a Podium without a Tri coach? I'm still in Masters and am seeking someone to help with running form. I love the idea of a coach, I just can't swallow the $200/month avg cost. 2 toddlers in the house and 1 on the way.

- Specifically, How many of you have achieved podiums, ironmans etc without hiring an official coach?

2) Nutrition?! Sunday's experience was so brutal. I think the mistake was using a lot of Skratch sports drink before. What do you guys do to sustain speed with a happy belly?

3) I'll be honest, i feel very anxious about bike training on the road. I've just read too many of the "lost another one" threads and my heart can't handle it. So I've got a Zwift setup but barely get on it. Recommended Zwift training plans?

This forum has been an invaluable source of wisdom and i'm grateful. Triathlon has been an outlet to break down a lot of physical/mental barriers for me. It's been such a worthy journey and i'm glad to be on it. Now that i've checked most of the "first time experience" markers, I want to get fast and make a podium somewhere.

Any encouragement/insight is welcome.

Appreciate you!
Last edited by: TeamTarrant: May 23, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [TeamTarrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people can't podium no matter how much they train.

There is no way that I would ever hire a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) It is definitely doable, but it will be hard and painful. I just did my first race of the season this year and got 2nd in my AG (25-29). That's my first time on the podium*. One thing I did over the winter was run like hell and it helped tremendously.

Find your weakest segment and focus on that.

*The top 3 were all in my AG, so technically I got 5th...

2) Can't help too much here, but I would definitely train how you intend to race, especially with nutrition. Also along the lines of nutrition, do you track your diet/calories? Getting leaner is an simple way to get faster.

3) I'm with you about training outside. Too much traffic and not efficient enough for me. I've been using TrainerRoad since the fall. Highly suggest. The long rides (1.5+ hours) are super boring, but overall it helps A LOT. I started at an FTP of like 160 and after the first Base Program I jumped up to 209. I'm about to retest and I'm shooting for 230-240ish.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is encouraging. And props on your AG finish! That's awesome.

I just pulled the plug on Zwift and am going to try TR (+ Netflix). The base program sounds very intriguing.

As for diet, I eat clean but don't really track anything. My hope is that as training increases and I get farther and father away from the "bulk up" gym sessions that my body will adapt to an ideal poundage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Can I get to a Podium without a Tri coach?

Define "podium." If you mean place in your AG, then yes, but it depends on the distance and the event. If you mean place overall, then that probably requires a coach. I have only been at this for <1.5 years, and I do not have a coach. I won my AG and placed 2nd in my AG in two local and fairly popular sprints. I am pretty sure that I would be AG competitive in an Olympic, but I have not done one yet. (I hope to find out this summer.) I am around top 15% in an HIM distance. Hitting AG top 3 in an M-dot HIM or IM would probably require a coach. But, I am pretty sure I can get to a top 20 AG finish (top 10%) in an M-dot HIM without a coach.

2) Nutrition?! Sunday's experience was so brutal. I think the mistake was using a lot of Skratch sports drink before. What do you guys do to sustain speed with a happy belly?

You just need to experiment and practice with nutrition. For a sprint, I do almost nothing for nutrition. Just a few bananas a couple hours before the race. I have not done an Olympic, so I am not sure. For an HIM, I try to take in about 1,000 calories on the bike, and then another couple hundred on the run. I use Infinit drink mix for HIM. However I learned Sunday that I can do an HIM on very few calories after the rough roads ejected both of my liquid calorie bottles. So, I may reevaluate HIM nutrition a little.

3) I've got a Zwift setup but barely get on it. Recommended Zwift training plans?

I love Trainerroad. I think that indoor training on a trainer is significantly more impactful than outdoor training. It is not as fun as outside, but I cannot argue the results. Just get on an indoor structured training plan, get in the zone, and ride. I watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon prime on the bike. For me, it works very well, and is extremely time-efficient for balancing family time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Yes its definitely possible to get on the podium without a coach. A proper training plan and the right protocol can go a long way. Having a coach is a luxury, but takes out a lot of the stress of coming up with a training plan and workouts. With or without a coach, you will need to find the time to put the training hours in. ***Just as an FYI, I would never hire a coach that guaranteed me a podium spot.

2) Nutrition is so personal, that its pretty hard to recommend. I'd start with some test samples at your local tri, run, or bike shop and go from there.

3) Using the trainer vs. riding on the road is personal preference. Because of personal time constraints I do most of week day rides on the trainer (quality rides) and then my long rides on the road or local trail system (quantity rides).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it's going to take both time and probably a lot more training training. Depends on the size of the field, but the guys who are on the podium in an Olympic are usually the guys for whom it's just another weekend out rather than the big event of the season. (or as a tune up for a bigger race in a few weeks time)

Part of this is developing your aerobic system over time. My view is that if you're just starting out, a coach can help - but only to a point. The biggest piece of advice is that they're going to say at this stage in your aerobic development is likely "train more." Put more time in the bike, get your marathon down, and learn everything you can from your master's class. There's lots of resources here on Slowtwitch to help out in the "how" department.

Then once you're close (and it will take a few years), or if you've plateaued/stopped learning, if your goal is still podium, then spring for the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I've always thought coaching at the AG level has been over-emphasized.

I have just done reading on training books such as the Triathlete's Bible, or Training and Racing with Power. These, along with other training-focused books, teach you the mentality of how to train and how to plan your annual training plan. With that you can learn to build your own workouts. Some people aren't able to self-coach due to motivation or otherwise. That's fine. Look into finding yourself an accountability partner. That's a major component of what a coach does-- just being your paid accountability partner; but surprise, you can get an accountability partner for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea the I started with just the TR regular Base program (not for any specific distance). It helped me get the feel of things and how the programs work. Most workouts have instructions (like captions on a TV) that play when you do them. They help with pedaling drills and what not. I found them pretty useful.

It sounds like you know what not to eat. Then it becomes a matter of eating the appropriate amounts to cut weight. I was pretty surprised at how much I was eating when I started tracking everything.

One other thing is recovery. A good recovery protocol (eg. foam rolling, stretching, etc.) can help make each workout better. This, like 90% of things in triathlon, is about finding what works for you.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a MOP age grouper and have a coach, mainly b/c if I don't I almost always end up injuring myself and he's very affordable compared to others. Most of my midweek rides are on TR and I've made substantial gains on the bike in the last year or two. Weekend long rides are preferably outdoors as 4+ hours on the trainer just kills me.

I've been using Infinit nutrition for the past year and a half and have had zero issues on the bike and run. I definitely recommend giving them a shot.

As for podiums...just pick the smaller local races, lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are in a tough age group---on the plus side you are at the bottom end of it (age wise)...so, you have the "youth advantage" for now. But, at 195 you are on the heavier end of the scale...which will impact the run quite a bit. Not sure where you are on the bf% side of things, but something to consider if you are serious about making a podium.

Getting to a podium is going to be an iterative process, of improvement and self re-evaluation. Some things will be raw athletic performance, some will be equipment, some will be race strategy and tactics. There is also an argument to be made for choosing races that match your specific abilities.

I would start by honestly assessing your performance strengths and weaknesses. There are lots of ways to do that, but it might be easiest to simply look at your race results in each sport, and compare to the next level up in your AG. Maybe look at the 50th percentile in your AG and see how you compare. If your swim matches up favorably, then you might want de-emphasize that and focus your efforts elsewhere. But, you really need to see where you sit in each sport, figure out what you need to do to improve in each, and make a plan for how to achieve that.

For the run it might be a weight goal. At 195, there is lots of time to be gained by simply being lighter---even 10 lbs would make a difference. Also look up the BarryP run plan here on ST...if you aren't already following it, there is also lots to be gained by running more often.

You didn't really give a reference for your bike performance (FTP, bike split, etc).

Obviously, you have some nutritional strategies to work on. Mostly that comes down to train like you plan to race (and race like you train). Experiment in training---don't experiment in races (or accept that you may wash-out if it doesn't work out). Know what works for you, know what they are serving at the aid stations, and bring your own if you don't know that will work. I've been surprised enough at aid stations that I bring my own nutrition and stick to water from the stations. Know how much you can consume (food+water) for different efforts. Harder efforts decrease your ability to digest and absorb (but these events are shorter so the needs are lessened also). Its very personal...I like real-ish foods in training, but I generally stick with sugary liquids in races. I've practiced it enough I know what works (and what doesn't through some spectacular errors over the years!!).

If you end up biking a lot (mostly) inside, think about practicing eating and drinking outside, still. There is a bit of a "trick" to bike handling while eating and drinking---esp. while staying aero. With the trainer holding you up most of the time you will get less practice at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, you're not alone. And now you're addicted. ;-)

Can you get to the podium w/o a coach? Maybe. It takes a combination of skill and luck. Many moons ago I podium'ed in a few local events when I was at my best AND the big dogs didn't show up. Admittedly, it's a nice carrot to run after, but the good health was way more useful than a trophy. Tho, your odds improve greatly the faster you are!

But the coach, at least to me, wasn't necessary. I read alot of swim/bike/run training books, and learned how to bring myself along. What might be helpful since you're time crunched is to consider hiring a coach for a defined period of time (6 mo?) to get you on the right track. They can help you figure out the right combination of hard/easy, nutrition, and scheduling. Might be a happy medium for you?

For nutrition--I trained my gut. My SS and hard interval sessions all used the same drink (diluted salty lemonade), and I never had a problem in races. It's an old cliche, but nothing new on race day (and you broke that). For sprint/oly, this is a much easier problem. For HIM, it becomes pretty critical at our speeds.

I use Trainerroad, and those plans are fairly flexible ITO options. Has worked for years. But you gotta get on the saddle.

Good on you for putting this out there and asking for help! Don't do so much that you neglect family, but putting some priority on your physical fitness is a good thing. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "I'll be honest, i feel very anxious about bike training on the road. I've just read too many of the "lost another one" threads and my heart can't handle it. So I've got a Zwift setup but barely get on it."

Unfortunately, triathlon might not be the sport for you unless you can deal with this irrational anxiety or learn to embrace indoor training.

Plenty of people podium without coaches, but it helps if you become a student of the process. Just about anyone would do better under the advisement of a good coach. Of course, there are plenty of coaches out there who are not good.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I have podiumed several times, even been a top 3 female finisher - you just need less than four people in your age group or gender. In a small town that is not hard to find. My last race had 5 women in the OLY distance. Could I ever podium at a big race? Oh hell no. But my genetics probably dictate that more than my training. Kona is not in my DNA.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing this for a while. If you're talking about sprint/olympic races....Yes you can get on the podium without a coach. Maybe not overall but definitely AG. Also depends on the race (smaller, beginner-friendly races, yes; Age Group Nationals, doubtful). Commit yourself to 8-10 hrs of training time per week if possible. Try to run every day, but keep the pace slow, maybe a tempo run 1x per week (speed work is icing). Masters swimming is a plus, keep at it! And TR is amazing at improving your bike split. In most races I've done (all 4 major distances), the top AG finisher(s) typically are avid cyclists (read: spend every last minute of their life out on the road) or have a deep college running background (read: < 6 min pace for 10K leg). You probably won't beat these people. For that you would need a coach. I've never used a coach, but have been motivated and diligent about reading about how best to train and not get injured and I've really surprised myself. I have no doubt that spending $200-300 per month on a coach would make me faster (if anything the money spent would motivate me) but so would nixing a coach and simply increasing my volume (14+ hours per week). Honestly, using that money elsewhere and spending that time with family & friends is more valuable than inching a few spots up the finisher results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of three disciplines, you have already tackled the one that SOOOO many triathletes neglect, or deal with last....swimming. Congrats on the masters group. It will pay huge dividends.

WRT to biking...do trainerroad. No discussion on this. Build a base, then do sustained power build, and finish with a specialty phase. You WILL get faster.

WRT running....run often. Better to run short 5 or 6 days per week, than cook your legs with 2 or 3 long runs.

All of the above can be done without a coach.

Fourth discipline...nutrition....you have to experiment. No quick and easy solution. For sprints or OLY, I don't think nutrition during the event matters at all...for events longer, you will have to live and learn

Hope this helps

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Yes. Swim more. Bike more. Run more. In swimming, form is crucial. Swim with a masters group or something similar, or upload videos of your swimming to ST. For biking and running, you can figure a lot of it out on your own. It will help to get on a running program -- Hal Higdon is an easy one to start with, and there are better ones available when you get to that point (more miles per week and speed).

2. You don't need to eat during a sprint, and probably not (unless you're really slow or overweight) on an Olympic. I usually eat 200-300 calories 2-3 hours before the start, then possibly some G2 gatorade or equivalent during the race (in an olympic). I usually don't drink during a sprint unless the weather is hot. Food in your belly will slow you down. If you eat the night before and a little 2-3 hours before the race, you probably won't run out of energy.

3. Get on a bike trainer if you don't have wide open roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamTarrant wrote:
Hi all! I started Triathlon a little less than a year ago. In the last year in i've done 2 Sprints, 1 Oly, 1 Marathon, 10k and so on.

While there is so much that I love, there's a few things i'm struggling with. Am I alone in these?

- 10k run was last week and came in at a 9.15/avg, which I was very pleased with.
- As a side note, i'm 30, weigh 195lbs (used to be a "Beachbody guy"....I know... it was all vanity), and am 6 ft.

So! Here's my questions concerns:

I was in your boat January 2016, I ran a 1-hour-ish 10k and made the leap from there. I'll be 30 next month so I bumped up to 30-34 this year. Came from the physique world and still trying to shed some excess muscle. I went from 5'7" @ 160lbs to maintaining around 140lbs this year. The advantage coming in is my daily nutrition was already on point. I don't track anything anymore though.

TeamTarrant wrote:
1) Can I get to a Podium without a Tri coach? I'm still in Masters and am seeking someone to help with running form. I love the idea of a coach, I just can't swallow the $200/month avg cost. 2 toddlers in the house and 1 on the way.

Podiums can be had pretty easily at some races. As far as AG placements at bigger events, like IM branded races, I have some more years before that's going to happen. For now I'll be happy with top 10% of my AG. Winning is fun, but in reality, maybe tracking your USAT ranking progression is a better indicator.

I started without a coach, then got a coach and I've seen huge improvements. This year I should be consistently on an AG podium for local races, if not Overall. For me, I think the coach argument comes down to how much time do you want to spend learning about putting together a decent plan, how much time do you have to write your plan, and how likely are you to follow it (ie. not overdoing it, or taking a day off just for whatever reason (as your ZWIFT experience indicates.))

TeamTarrant wrote:

x2 for infinit. You upset stomach could have been from the night before.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: May 23, 17 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: I'm stuck! [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL I was going to say the same. My only podiums in the last five years where an Olympic where six people showed in my age group and a 10K that had about a hundred people in it. I am 51. In the small local races the field gets pretty thin at my age.

SLOgoing wrote:
trail wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I have podiumed several times, even been a top 3 female finisher - you just need less than four people in your age group or gender. In a small town that is not hard to find. My last race had 5 women in the OLY distance. Could I ever podium at a big race? Oh hell no. But my genetics probably dictate that more than my training. Kona is not in my DNA.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply