Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running/cycling computer for folks that wear reading glasses.
Quote | Reply
I'm a geek, but I'm an old geek. I've been running/cycling pretty seriously for longer then most folks in this forum have been alive. That doesn't make me cool, nor fast, but it does make for reading glasses. Sigh. It took a while to figure out how to do a running/bike computer now that I need reading glasses.

The solution is a small smartphone. I'm not an Apple person so I bought an old Samsung S3 "Mini" on ebay for $25. Don't need cellular service, just connect it to your home WiFi. Get a HR chestband that uses Bluetooth and you're in business. Obviously it will have GPS so you'll get speed/distance data. There's all sorts of cheap or free apps that will do the job. Just play with a couple and find one you like, in my case, with big #'s. Set your phone so the backlight stays on at full brightness. Get a rubber case for it so it's easier to hang on to while running. Lots of solutions for fastening it to bike handlebars. Maybe splurge and spend $8 on a new batt for the phone, since the original batt is likely worn to a nub.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Running/cycling computer for folks that wear reading glasses. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or get bi-focal sunglasses. There are expensive ones, cheap but good bi-focal "safety glasses" or you can get paste on bi-focal inserts. Made a world of difference for me. Don't really need them on the run, but they sure help on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Running/cycling computer for folks that wear reading glasses. [openwheel11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I started the "little phone as HR/Pace/Distance" device, it was all about running. I experimented with wearing glasses when I ran, but that idea's level of suck was acceptable only in cool temps and easy runs. There was a period in the early 80's where the cool runners wore sunglasses, but most of us got over that. That's not criticism btw, if you, dear reader, wear sunglasses when you run, more power to you.

In a pair of cycling glasses I recently put on a pair of stick-on optical lenses. Mfr is Neoptix. I'd never heard of their ilk. Someone pointed me towards them a month ago. Really a great solution for turning any pair of sunglasses into bifocals. With them, the bike's computer became usable again. Which is when the bike computer died.

After several months of occasionally taking the little Android phone on runs, the bike computer's wheel xmitter died. It occurred to me that the phone could do the job just fine, so I attached it to the handlebars with rubber bands. As a result, instead of being tempted to buy an expensive GPS based bike computer, I'm using a $25 phone.

With all the money I saved, I went shopping for SRAM etap.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Running/cycling computer for folks that wear reading glasses. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a garmin 810 with some big display fields and/or some Tifosi Readers http://www.tifosioptics.com/readers/
Quote Reply
Re: Running/cycling computer for folks that wear reading glasses. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar - Dual Eyewear has some great cycling, running glasses that have a choice of reader strength perfectly positioned in the bottom inside position of each lens - most have interchangeable lenses as well - use mine for cycling and driving..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an old guy, too, and need my reading glasses to see anything up close. So, it's been a long time since I could see those little cyclocomputers. But I bought a Bryton Rider 310 and have been very pleased with the size of the screen, readability, and price.
Quote Reply