Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ever decide to take the plunge and do the PCT, take a day trip to the Island and pick my brain.

Okay but remember, you asked for it...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mooseknuckle69 wrote:
Then I would suggest not watching the movie "Backcountry" - based on a true story :0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey9fi6m95vo

Actually, reading the description of the movie, the bear did her a favor.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a week or two spent outdoors would be memorable.

The challenge with going longer than a week, is the food weight (if you are considering fully solo and unsupported) you need to carry will start to be significant. Factor in the food for the dog and now, it could really be an issue. The good news is that weight will be dropping over the course of time as you move along!

I don't know about this trail and if there would be opportunities to purchase or pick up, perhaps pre-stashed food while on-trail.

I did a three week trek in Nepal a number of years ago, but here, you can travel rather light, as you are staying in guest/tea houses along the way, and eating in those same places - so you really only need to carry apparel and misc. other stuff needed for a long trek - so no food, or tent and other traditional camping gear needs to be carried.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 23, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thru-hiked the AT and have done numerous 3-7 day hikes. Unless your dog regular hikes with you 5 hour plus, I would leave it home. It will literally walk itself to death to stay with you. You will need to provide it extra calories and continuously monitor the condition of its paws.

If you are serious about doing the entire trail or a 10 day+ hike, I suggest finding another forum to get input on your gear list to get your pack weight as low as tolerable.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
I thru-hiked the AT and have done numerous 3-7 day hikes. Unless your dog regular hikes with you 5 hour plus, I would leave it home. It will literally walk itself to death to stay with you. You will need to provide it extra calories and continuously monitor the condition of its paws.

If you are serious about doing the entire trail or a 10 day+ hike, I suggest finding another forum to get input on your gear list to get your pack weight as low as tolerable.

Where does the knowledgeable UL crowd hang out these days? I used to get a lot of information from BPL, but that place has gone seriously downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea what forums are out there now
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I'd love to do a solo canoe trip. I'd also be terrified out of my mind and know that i'll never do it.

I've done a couple of solo trips where I did some packrafting. And, yeah, anything more than placid water is stressful. The last trip of the sort I was planning to packraft 50 miles back to the road. The river came up several feet following a storm, so instead of a riffly class II, I had fast class III with silty water and big standing waves. Not the thing for an overloaded packraft. I only went about two harrowing miles before I pulled out. Had to find an airstrip and get flown out.

I will think long and hard about any further solo whitewater trips.

Middle Fork of the Flathead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds wonderful!

I did a 5-day solo trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area about 15 years ago. Other than not bringing enough to read, the trip was wonderful. It's a great way to find peace. Turn the phone off or leave it behind altogether.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
The most food I ever carried was 10 days worth (and I depended on catching fish for four dinners). It was a pretty significant amount of weight.

Did you dehydrate any of your meals?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be off the grid this weekend. Bringing a cooler and will eat like kings.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done any solo backpacking/camping for an extended time? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I'd love to do a solo canoe trip. I'd also be terrified out of my mind and know that i'll never do it.

I've done a couple of solo trips where I did some packrafting. And, yeah, anything more than placid water is stressful. The last trip of the sort I was planning to packraft 50 miles back to the road. The river came up several feet following a storm, so instead of a riffly class II, I had fast class III with silty water and big standing waves. Not the thing for an overloaded packraft. I only went about two harrowing miles before I pulled out. Had to find an airstrip and get flown out.

I will think long and hard about any further solo whitewater trips.

Middle Fork of the Flathead?

Little Delta, interior Alaska. Several days of snow, then it warmed up and rained. A lot of snowmelt and rainfall raised the rivers really quickly. I didn't know it at the time, but a guy died that afternoon on a river about 20 miles away: http://peninsulaclarion.com/...delta-river-accident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
The most food I ever carried was 10 days worth (and I depended on catching fish for four dinners). It was a pretty significant amount of weight.

I figure on 1.5 pounds per day in the summer (and that's all dehydrated). According to my through-hiker friends, that rule of thumb works for trips up to two weeks. After that, you will have burned most excess body fat and you need to bump up the food to 2 pounds per day.

That 1.5 doesn't include any reserve, but I've found it is remarkable accurate, maybe +-5%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
It's the being alone and freaking out over every small noise at night.

I sleep through all that, doesn't worry me a bit!

take the hearing aids out -- NO PROBLEM

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next