Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What gives? No aero bottle? What on earth do you need a bottle for during an ITT <30 min. You figure if he was going to take a bottle, it would be an aero bottle. Everything else looks perfectly dialed in. Someone explain what we're missing here?

What about the front wheel with to many (and crossed) spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:
Alright, point taken, all the GC riders (incl Bennett, Mowho all happened to be riding with bottles (aero or not) are all stupid because you say so. This includes

Jack Bauer, N-Z TT champ (Quickstep, round bottle)
Peter Kennaugh (Sky, round bottle)
Lachlan Morton (Dimension data, round bottle)
Maciej Bodnar (Bora, round bottle)
Jon Dibben (sky, round bottle, won the TT)
Brent Bookwalter (BMC, 2nd in the TT)

... all stupid, and they should all listen to age group triathletes on a forum who know it all better. Right?

How do you know they would not be faster with aero bottles? Pro riders don't necessarily have higher access to science than age group athletes and they may or may not have superior analytic minds. Just because pros do something does not make it right. How many of those guys have done any studies in fluid dynamics?

Team Sky rider with round bottle...lots of their riders with round bottles. Sky has absolutely no budget, resources, or scientific knowledge...and NEVER conducts wind tunnel, velodome, or real world testing...in fact everything they know is of public knowledge...Please note sarcasm...;)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geraint Thomas on Giro TT
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the new Pinarello TT bike has down tube optimised for a round bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that aside, I think everyone is missing the point here: Dumoullin is winning the Giro on a Giant and Bennet won ATOC on a Bianchi....don't they even read Slowtwitch?!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
trail wrote:
Indoor velodromes are climate controlled and downright chilly for race events. Not sure about Colorado Springs, though.

Except the opposite is true. For the Hour, velodromes are heated for minimal air-pressure.
Heat doesn't reduce the pressure, it reduces the air density for the same given pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Benv wrote:

You might remember this then when a number of top triathletes (kona winners and podium finishers) got schooled by the cyclists in LA in 2010.

Yeah, I stumbled onto that when trying to look up how my buddy did. Poor owner of this forum broke some bones crashing, if I remember correctly. Technical TTs are hard.

I think that was bad form making fun at any rider who crashed and hurt himself. I never questioned the technical ability of pro cyclists. You know exactly what I was pointing to in bringing up Indurain's engine vs a triathtlete's and that big engine allowing him to overcome a lot of aero giveaways.
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:

Best answer on this thread. If someone could point to the Cannondale being optimized for round bottles, then the case is closed. Instead we're debating about the need for hydration in a 28 min TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You understand that when these guys do a 28 min TT, they're not just riding for 28 minutes, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:
Alright, point taken, all the GC riders (incl Bennett, Mowho all happened to be riding with bottles (aero or not) are all stupid because you say so. This includes

Jack Bauer, N-Z TT champ (Quickstep, round bottle)
Peter Kennaugh (Sky, round bottle)
Lachlan Morton (Dimension data, round bottle)
Maciej Bodnar (Bora, round bottle)
Jon Dibben (sky, round bottle, won the TT)
Brent Bookwalter (BMC, 2nd in the TT)

... all stupid, and they should all listen to age group triathletes on a forum who know it all better. Right?

How do you know they would not be faster with aero bottles? Pro riders don't necessarily have higher access to science than age group athletes and they may or may not have superior analytic minds. Just because pros do something does not make it right. How many of those guys have done any studies in fluid dynamics?

Going on memory, I recall reading a wind tunnel test of round bottle vs aero bottle in the downtube. The takeaway was the difference was almost neglible.
My aero eyeball would suggest that in both cases, the bottles were "drafting" the downtube, therefore, both produced similar drag

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
bluntandy wrote:

Best answer on this thread. If someone could point to the Cannondale being optimized for round bottles, then the case is closed. Instead we're debating about the need for hydration in a 28 min TT.
And even if it isn't optimized for round bottles, there could still be 10+ reasons why a rider would knowingly choose a specific setup. Though for some strange reason you have no interest in even considering a rider's justification other than to say they're all wrong. I can easily ask a fellow team member or director sportif but clearly there's no point in that anyways since the answer is already rejected before the question is asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if I missed this so sorry if someone already posted this but he probably doesnt have the option to put an aero bottle on the bike if they have to use tacx as their supplier. I know others might just take the brand off of the aero bottle but maybe its something that Cannondale or Tacx wont allow?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that is an Elite Bottle with the logo removed and Tacx was put on....

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/elite-crono-cx-cage-kit-with-base?skid=ELI000V-OPA-FRPFIBBAS&CMP_SKU=ELI000V&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=FA858C55-9BD8-E411-AAA2-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=185055529571&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-290924746755&mr:ploc=9021755&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=290924746755&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMsJfuAnzz80Bgg149qQzOYLqErWbqtcC8LVWQPb80VoaAkUt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What gives? No aero bottle? What on earth do you need a bottle for during an ITT <30 min. You figure if he was going to take a bottle, it would be an aero bottle. Everything else looks perfectly dialed in. Someone explain what we're missing here?

yep, this is slowtwitch 3 pages about a aero/not areo water bottle!
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsdogma wrote:
Pretty sure that is an Elite Bottle with the logo removed and Tacx was put on....

May well be made by Elite, but Tacx sells them in Europe -- or at least did at one time (on back order currently).
Quote Reply
Re: Talansky Round Water Bottle for a <30 min ITT (Tour of California) ? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Actually it is 3 pages to Monday morning QB if the 3rd place guy could have saved 1.1 seconds over a week long race to move into 2nd place
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Runguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Actually it is 3 pages to Monday morning QB if the 3rd place guy could have saved 1.1 seconds over a week long race to move into 2nd place

right, its about a waterbottle :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next