Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fizik Guide? Weight + Power = Saddle Width
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Fizik has a fit guide for their Mistica saddle here . It basically states that if you have high power vs weight, you should be on a regular width saddle. If you have lower power vs weight, you should sit on a wide saddle.

Wondering what the gurus here think of that.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: May 18, 17 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Guide? Weight + Power = Saddle Width [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whelp, I have a regular width Mistica.

And their calculator just told me I should be on a regular. So it must be correct!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Fi'zi:k should stick to making pretty coloured shoes.

To be fair, they do make one good road saddle (Antares) and I haven't had a chance to test a Mistica on anyone yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
Just saw that Fizik has a fit guide for their Mistica saddle here . It basically states that if you have high power vs weight, you should be on a regular width saddle. If you have lower power vs weight, you should sit on a wide saddle.

Wondering what the gurus here think of that.
It's nonsense. Just like spinal concept is nonsense.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that their thinking revolves around the fact that as a rider increases w/kg there ought to be less pressure on the saddle.
(E.g. a rider pedaling 400w exerts less saddle pressure than when pedaling 100 watts and a heavier rider exerts more pressure at 400w than a lighter rider does).

However, choosing a saddle based on that logic is misguided.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I'm in bit of a pickle, because I'm in South America and from clicking the "buy button" until actually having the product will be three weeks, not to mention once I have the product, I can't return it and on top of this, nobody here has a Mistica to compare/test.

So, based on this conundrum, (and the fact that I ride a road bike with an Antares R3, regular), given my measurements 6'0, 82 kilos, which of the two saddles would you recommend I get?

This is my first tri bike, in case that adds/subtracts to the equation.

Any opinion will be helpful. Thanks for your time, guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Guide? Weight + Power = Saddle Width [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure many people will be able to help too much. Someone with the same height and weight could have a bike setup completely differently, prefer sitting differently on the saddle and have different proportions - for instance distance between sit bones. And a whole lot of other differences.

I'd try the saddle you have for no other reason than it doesn't cost you anything. In my experience the fact that you like a road saddle does not mean you will like a tri saddle from the same manufacturer. So, IMHO, buying a Mistica is no better bet for you than any other Tri saddle. In fact it seems an expensive saddle so just from that point of view it seems a bad bet.

If money is no issue for you then maybe do it. If you don't have a huge budget then I'd find a LBS with a some kind of trial system that can help. Failing that something online that can help with returns. Probably the best approach is to assume you will need a bike fit and so get a bike fit with someone who has a few saddles you can try during that process. The saddle and the fit are so dependent on each other I think that has to be the best way.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Oct 5, 17 13:24
Quote Reply