Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
On the advice of my physical therapist I've begrudgingly decided to try some new shoes with a little more support as I ease back into running after an injury. I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight trainer with fairly low drop (let's say less than 8mm), fairly firm cushioning, and some light support. Prior to getting hurt I was running mostly in NB Zante and Vazee Pace. I've already ordered a pair of NB 1500's to try out but I'd like to expand the search a little. What do you like ST?
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
On the advice of my physical therapist I've begrudgingly decided to try some new shoes with a little more support as I ease back into running after an injury. I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight trainer with fairly low drop (let's say less than 8mm), fairly firm cushioning, and some light support. Prior to getting hurt I was running mostly in NB Zante and Vazee Pace. I've already ordered a pair of NB 1500's to try out but I'd like to expand the search a little. What do you like ST?

Asics DS Trainer and DS Racer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

Asics DS Trainer and DS Racer.

+1 on DS Trainer
I use them since 10 years, every year about 2 or 3 pairs. nothing compare to DS Trainer, for my running style
I tried Ravenna from Brooks, very similar weight and with some support but I don't like the feeling
Hoka Arahi also is a valid option if you also want more cushioning. weight in the same ballpark

About DS Racer, I am not sure if they offer some support but definitely those are shoes for "shorter" distance. I did max 21k with DS Racer and I can feel it in the days after...
DS Trainer, I can do any races, also track interval and until 42km no problem

One important question for you: how much do you weigh? this is an important parameter because if you are over 70kg, I would go for Hoka Arahi otherwise DS Trainer is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you liked the NB line see if the Vazee Prism 2 or Vongo work for you. Vongo is 4mm drop and Prism 2 is 8mm if I recall correctly
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations? [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently started running in the Hoka Gaviota, I am totally amazed at how light it feels for a stability shoe and it is the best shoe I have ever run in. I would suggest giving them a try, Hoka has 30 day $ back if you order direct from them, so no loss to give them a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Brooks Purecadence and NB Vongo. Vongo a bit heavier I think. Both low drop ~4mm.

Adidas Adizero Tempo Boost pretty good too, but more drop ~9mm (I think).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with my Salming shoes that I have with a team sponsorship, as I had not heard of them before. The build quality is exceptional and they are really light; how much depending on which model. I think you'd be happiest with the Distance D5. Here's that description.."Distance D5: our bread and butter shoe, the model that put Salming on
the map. The D5 is extremely light weight but still offers plenty of
cushioning and support. A very versatile shoe, race day worthy for
sure. Extremely responsive and flexible. Similar to the D4, which
exception to the color up and cosmetic modification to the exoskeleton."

https://www.salming.com/...-green/c-755/p-31472

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Topo Ultrafly has just a touch of that medial posting that makes a shoe "stable", although the ride feels pretty neutral honestly. It's also 5mm drop. That 1500 is a sick shoe though...if you want something similar to that Brooks makes a racing flat called the Asteria that feels very similar to the 1500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra shoes are fairly light, 0 heel/toe drop, and they have some stability shoes, and multiple amounts of cushion. Biggest difference than the other ones except for maybe the Topo shoes is a wide toebox so your toes can spread out better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

The 1500's are good...but they wear out super fast. I like the Saucony Fastwitch better than the 1500's (not as cushioned), but they wear out dreadfully quick too. I recently tried the Brooks Asteria and it is nice, lightweight, mild posting and seems to not be wearing out quickly...but may be too much drop for you.

The PureCadence is ok...but they are not responsive at all IMO...very "spongy". Nike LunarGlide is nice, light, moderately responsive but probably too much drop for you.

I am not familiar with the DS Trainer (that others have mentioned) but it does look like great option...I will be trying those soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Fastwitch
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I've been very happy with my Salming shoes that I have with a team sponsorship, as I had not heard of them before. The build quality is exceptional and they are really light; how much depending on which model. I think you'd be happiest with the Distance D5. Here's that description.."Distance D5: our bread and butter shoe, the model that put Salming on
the map. The D5 is extremely light weight but still offers plenty of
cushioning and support. A very versatile shoe, race day worthy for
sure. Extremely responsive and flexible. Similar to the D4, which
exception to the color up and cosmetic modification to the exoskeleton."

https://www.salming.com/...-green/c-755/p-31472

Do you like them in the same way certain pros like certain bikes? I'm a big Borje fan from his days with the Leafs, but c'mon. Are they better than your last team shoes?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Hoka Gaviota. I also like the Saucony Guide.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NB prisms
Hoka Arhai
Brooks Ravenna
Asics DS trainer, Noosa FF, Gt 1000,2000, 3000 (although 3000 are a bit more for late pronation) Asics are going to be ~ 10mm drop across the line
Adidas tempo. But > 8mm drop. I do love me some boost material though
saucony guide

Obviously some of these go beyond the lightweight category. but instead of worrying about lightweight worry about getting the shoe that feels most comfortable for you regardless of how much it weighs. Let weight be a secondary or tertiary factor

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 18, 17 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of the Brooks 'Pure' range. They are pretty light, and also have a 4mm drop, and the perfect amount of cushioning.

The 'flow' is for a neutral arch, and the 'cadence' is for over-pronation.(Dont quote me on this, as I might have it the other way round).
Either way, i seem to be fine in either of those.

I seem to go through them quite a bit, so if you are a fan of them, i suggest buying a few pairs at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight Stability Shoe Recommendations? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously I can see where you are going, but I was never exposed to the brand as I had never seen or heard of them. Having run for 40+ years so far, a lot of shoe models and brands have been tried, and it seemed I usually found my way back to Nike. Because a discount and the need for a new shoe because of injury issues, I decided to try them. I have to say that while I was concerned about not knowing much about them, from the first run until current I have enjoyed every run with them. While many on the forum doubt my claims that my foot strike seemed better with them, it became apparent that was and still is the case. For the OP, I was simply throwing a possible solution to an issue he was having. More choices is seldom an issue.
Last edited by: ggeiger: May 19, 17 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good suggestions, thanks! My NB 1500's just arrived so I'm going to give those a try this weekend.
Quote Reply