Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
You would be better off with a duramax 19-38" drum sander. There is a reason furniture builders don't use Uber wide planers for fine finish work. Plane tour pieces close to thickness, joint then, glue up, then finish with the sander.

wow. great tip. i didn't know about this. not very expensive either.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
I have a 13x28 garage. Going to paint it , install better lighting, and a cieling fan. My plan is for the back half of this to be a wood shop. I have a Shopsmith, given to me by my father. I can build whatever workbenches and tables I need. I have the Shopsmith dust collector- can run tubing to every tool. I plan to pick up a good sized compressor.

What else would be good to plan for? I ultimately want to build some furniture (this is a 5-10 year plan)- a really nice sideboard for the dining room, maybe replace dressers in the future, adirondack chairs...

What's your dream setup?
Seems like a good tools calendar is essential and pretty inexpensive to pick up. Otherwise, you might not even know what day it is...

Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now we are talking....
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iO4 wrote:
More electrical outlets than you think you need.
Band saw
Beer fridge
Music

and interlock on all machinery, such that beer fridge cannot open until ALL machinery is unplugged :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you pretty much hit it all. i would add this: a tracksaw. and a track attachment permanently mounted to a router, like a porter cable. i can't tell you how often i use the tracksaw and how many applications i find for it. i note you have a mortiser which probably means you're making some mission style furniture. if you do a big edge-glue lay-up for a table, the tracksaw is how you square it up after you're done. the router attachment is how you rout it after it's square. MUCH more predictable and precise than running it through a router table, in my experience.

oh, and a shitload of clamps. of all sizes. pipe clamps in particular. easy to find cheap clamps for pipe clamps, even harbor freight is good enough, just get 3/4" pipe in different lengths, threaded one side, and you're good.

and decent stands, sawhorses and such, for mounting your media.

the one thing i really want is a the godzilla planer from hell, something i need to put in a new 220v circuit for. like, 36" or something, so i can take this big edge glue tabletops and just mow them down. i routinely look on craigslist for another cabinet shop to bite the dust so i can pick one of those up.

whoo -- I need a smoke

WOODGASM

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah this is TOOLGASM
WOODGASM is that awesome piece of curly walnut.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Nah this is TOOLGASM

or a nice piece of knotty pine

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Nah this is TOOLGASM

For me its freshly milled cocobolo:

So much variation in there, and it polishes up beautifully. Too bad all that colour fades to an orange-brown tiger stripe type thing, which is still stunning, but not nearly as much as when it's fresh.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a legit WOODGASM. I rarely get anything but smaller turning stock and it is lovely to turn. That pic makes me smile.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 No offence, but never been a huge fan, in softwood more of a Douglas for our yellow heart pine guy. Never liked swirling around knots.
But hey that's just me. If it floats your boat, all woodwork is cool.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
jriosa wrote:
Nah this is TOOLGASM

For me its freshly milled cocobolo:

So much variation in there, and it polishes up beautifully. Too bad all that colour fades to an orange-brown tiger stripe type thing, which is still stunning, but not nearly as much as when it's fresh.

Freshly cut cocobolo is amazing. But look out for the dust; a serious allergen.

It's hard to choose a favorite wood! I think mine might be quilted mahogany, I've seen a few pieces that were french-polished and the chatoyance was just amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
jriosa wrote:
Nah this is TOOLGASM

or a nice piece of knotty pine

or a nice piece of naughty
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quilted maple for me, but man what a bitch to smooth

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Quilted maple for me, but man what a bitch to smooth

Indeed. I've got a couple of small pieces in my stash They're pretty, but I really don't know what to do with them. And they're bigleaf maple, so fairly soft.

Last year I stumbled (craigslist) across a moving sale with some "hardwood lumber". Turned out the guy was the original owner of the local hardwood store, and was selling off his remaining stash. I couldn't really afford to go crazy, but I did buy an 8' plank of 16" wide 4/4 curly maple that's been dried for 30 years and is nearly dead flat and straight. I don't know what I'll make with it, but I knew I'd never again see wood like that at a price I could afford.
Last edited by: eb: May 23, 17 23:14
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the first and primary tool in any wood shop is a quality tablesaw.

The next thing you need is a quality dust removal system. If you are going to be working in the garage with or without the door closed, get a dust removal system and run it whenever you are working.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhh.. birds eye maple, scraped not sanded with a. Natural tung oil finish. I made a electric guitar from a beautiful piece of birds eye maple and quarter sawn black walnut. The brids eye is just so cool....
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 That's s great wood for turning as well.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
You would be better off with a duramax 19-38" drum sander. There is a reason furniture builders don't use Uber wide planers for fine finish work. Plane tour pieces close to thickness, joint then, glue up, then finish with the sander.

Different brand but pretty cool

Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just can't imagine needing 50 inch capacity. I don't think I have ever needed a panel thickness over 26.

But yes, they do build nice stuff.

Jim
Last edited by: jriosa: May 25, 17 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
I just can't imagine needing 50 inch capacity. I don't think I have ever needed a panel thickness over 26.

But yes, they do build nice stuff.

If you watch the video (at 3:00) the guy demonstrates sanding a 42" wide table top. I thought that was pretty sweet!
Quote Reply

Prev Next