Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop?
Quote | Reply
I have a 13x28 garage. Going to paint it , install better lighting, and a cieling fan. My plan is for the back half of this to be a wood shop. I have a Shopsmith, given to me by my father. I can build whatever workbenches and tables I need. I have the Shopsmith dust collector- can run tubing to every tool. I plan to pick up a good sized compressor.

What else would be good to plan for? I ultimately want to build some furniture (this is a 5-10 year plan)- a really nice sideboard for the dining room, maybe replace dressers in the future, adirondack chairs...

What's your dream setup?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good quality tablesaw. It's the foundation of all wood working shops.

I also have a shopsmith but rarely use it. Having a dedicated piece of equipment for specific cuts, planes, shaping, joining, etc. is well worth the investment.

All your standard hand tools are important too - routers, biscuit joiner, planes, drills, jig saws, etc.

And as my Dad always says, "Clamps are like sex, you can never have enough".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wood.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to be a place in Aurora north of Toronto where they had stacks and stacks of all kinds of wood drying in open sheds outdoors in ricks you name it. Oak, butternut, walnut, maple, pine, ash, cherry, in went on and on. Thick boards, wide boards, boards with pattern. It was beautiful.

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good quality Jointer/Planer- mine is 10 inch jointer and 18 inch planer and is as big as I need. Or separate Jointer and Planer- essential for me to square stock.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Last edited by: feman: May 18, 17 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More electrical outlets than you think you need.
Band saw
Beer fridge
Music

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: iO4: May 18, 17 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My home workshop is about 440 square feet in size. I have a table saw (with extension table), jointer, bandsaw, dust collector, ceiling-mounted air filtration unit, and a nice-sized workbench on which I normally have my compound miter saw. A couple of sawhorses are good to have.

You'll definitely want plenty of cabinets to store all of your smaller tools, sanding supplies, fasteners, stains, etc. You'll be amazed at how many of those items you'll accumulate over the years, and organizing them in an efficient manner will help you greatly.

My biggest challenge is finding space to store plywood and lumber for my upcoming projects. A heavy-duty lumber cart, or heavy-duty wall-mounted shelving, will make your life easier. In a workshop, it seems like you never have enough floor space.

I have a 220-volt space heater that warms up the shop nicely in winter. A ceiling fan keeps things comfortable in warmer weather. I don't have a room air conditioner in the shop, but that may someday change. It can get pretty toasty in there in our hot, humid summers.

My 2017 Internet resolutions: No personal attacks; no arguments; and no more than a single view and post per thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my, a topic near and dear to my heart. This is the dream setup, which would be tough to install in a 13X28 garage. (I know, I've tried).

The big three, as big as you can get them: jointer (at least 8"), planer (20" or larger), tablesaw.
Bandsaw: large enough to re-saw planks in order to bookmatch panels. 18" with a big motor.
Chopsaw/Miter saw: Compound miter is useful when doing mouldings, but the real use is to cut up rough lumber to size before it goes to the jointer. I love my sliding Makita chopsaw and use it every single time I am in the shop.
Router in router table or Moulder: I've gone the router table route and love it. I don't have space for a moulder, so its on my "wish though I've never used one" list.
Mortiser: As I've progressed in my skills, I find myself mortising stuff a lot. It can be done on a router, but my dream setup includes a heavy-duty mortiser.

Things I didn't realize I needed until later:
A separate space for finishing. Something that I can keep the sawdust out of, and is big enough to hold furniture with enough room to stain/varnish it.

Storage for lumber: I can't tell you how many times I've run across awesome wood finds, only to have to pass due to lack of storage. When building a shop, I want enough storage in the shop itself to hold the lumber for the project. Nothing sucks worse than having to wait 7-10 days for a piece of lumber to stabilize to the shops moisture content, because you made a mistake and had to snag a piece out of storage.

Dust collection: Unfortunately, sawdust is a carcinogen, and many species of lumber can cause allergic reactions. I know of at least two woodworkers who had to give up their business or hobby due to allergies they developed over time.

Good hand tools: planes, chisels, handsaws. The nice thing is good hand tools can often be found second-hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A table saw is versatile, and a great foundation for your shop. You can get some nice accessories to make the table itself more useful, such as an outfeed table, and a router table extension wing. My wood shop is a little smaller than yours (12 x 20), so floor space is a premium. Dealing with 4' x 8' sheet goods (handling and storage) is a pain in the ass, especially if you're working by yourself.

Other useful stationary tools would be a compound sliding miter saw with a stand that supports longer pieces, table-top drill press (so you can use the space under it for tool storage), and band saw. I like my planer, but that wouldn't be a primary purchase. A scroll saw would be fun, but not necessary. My dad has been getting into turning bowls with the lathe recently, which also seems fun but requires some special tools and a pretty decently powerful lathe.

When it comes to handheld power tools, you can never have enough drills, sanders, and routers. A jig saw will work in place of a band saw and is handy anyway. Hand tools: clamps, clamps, clamps. Mastering joinery is good, too - biscuit joinery, dowels, Kreg, etc. All have their advantages and disadvantages.

Lighting is also key - plenty of it, and of a color similar to where your furniture will end up so you can get a more accurate representation of the finish.

A lot of it will be prioritized by the style of furniture you like. I'm kind of a psuedo-Amish style kind of guy. Simple and angular. So, I can get by without a band saw because most of my shit is doable with the table saw.

My dream shop is not necessarily a lot of tools, but good ones. Black and Decker, modern Porter-Cable, Skil, and others are great ways to lose a finger. Porter-Cable routers are still OK, but the rest of their lineup has gone to complete shit after they got bought by Stanley Black and Decker. Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt are all pretty good.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you pretty much hit it all. i would add this: a tracksaw. and a track attachment permanently mounted to a router, like a porter cable. i can't tell you how often i use the tracksaw and how many applications i find for it. i note you have a mortiser which probably means you're making some mission style furniture. if you do a big edge-glue lay-up for a table, the tracksaw is how you square it up after you're done. the router attachment is how you rout it after it's square. MUCH more predictable and precise than running it through a router table, in my experience.

oh, and a shitload of clamps. of all sizes. pipe clamps in particular. easy to find cheap clamps for pipe clamps, even harbor freight is good enough, just get 3/4" pipe in different lengths, threaded one side, and you're good.

and decent stands, sawhorses and such, for mounting your media.

the one thing i really want is a the godzilla planer from hell, something i need to put in a new 220v circuit for. like, 36" or something, so i can take this big edge glue tabletops and just mow them down. i routinely look on craigslist for another cabinet shop to bite the dust so i can pick one of those up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the one thing i really want is a the godzilla planer from hell, something i need to put in a new 220v circuit for. like, 36" or something, so i can take this big edge glue tabletops and just mow them down. i routinely look on craigslist for another cabinet shop to bite the dust so i can pick one of those up.

On a side note, I think we talked at one point about how you had a couple of big desk or table tops that you wanted this for. Did you ever get those built?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of floor space, good light, HVAC , lots of electric outlets (110/220, multiple circuits), work surfaces.

After that, you can make due with less expensive/limited tools until $ becomes available to get what you want. It's more enjoyable (and safer) to work when you can see, you're not sweating/freezing, & aren't stepping over extension cords.

Right now I have the tools but am limited with the other stuff.

Also - a good quality (not HF) large roll-away toolbox.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: May 18, 17 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

The shop smith has a table saw and drill press as part of it, and I can pick up a bandsaw attachment when needed. I plan to get a router and table as well.

Will put a full size 'fridge up by the door into the house as well. A fairly large TV on the wall, gun safe as well.

I have a compound miter, will build a station for it along the back wall, and likely use base cabinets on either side for storage. May do wall cabinets above for storage.

Thanks for the input- looking forward to starting the build.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i built a few 4/4 cherry/oak coffee tables where the biscuits/glueup didn't work out so well. they looked better after using the jointer plane/winding stick, but man, that was a lot of work. ended up taking them to the local cabinet shop where one of guys ran them through a giant 48" sander machine. it was like $25 for shop time. worth every penny!

ETA: regarding the compound miter saw: if you're building a workbench, strongly consider building it into the bench so you don't have to use supports to hold your work level when cutting.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: May 18, 17 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Slowman wrote:

On a side note, I think we talked at one point about how you had a couple of big desk or table tops that you wanted this for. Did you ever get those built?

yes. i got a large desktop built for my wife, i'm putting the legs and whatnot on it now. the largest i've built so far is 6' x 4' and that's our kitchen island top. when i do these i only glue up one joint at a time, that is, 2 boards and then another 2 boards, and then i glue those to constructs together, with clamps all along. (if i'm lucky those 2 boards glued up are less than 12" wide and i can run that through my existing planer.)

otherwise, if you don't get the surfaces exactly even all the way along you have to sand like an MFer and your top is uneven. if i had that big mambo planer then i wouldn't have to worry. one big glue up, run it through that baby, done. but that takes a LOT of power, hence it's going to be probably 220v, at least 30 amp to run it if i ever find one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 18, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i built a few 4/4 cherry/oak coffee tables where the biscuits/glueup didn't work out so well. they looked better after using the jointer plane/winding stick, but man, that was a lot of work. ended up taking them to the local cabinet shop where one of guys ran them through a giant 48" sander machine. it was like $25 for shop time. worth every penny!

ETA: regarding the compound miter saw: if you're building a workbench, strongly consider building it into the bench so you don't have to use supports to hold your work level when cutting.

i have a biscuit system but i don't use it for my tabletops. i think you realize what a pain it is if you don't get those edges at the exact correct elevation along the entire length of the joint.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tablesaw is a given, best dust collection system you can afford, air compressor - figure out what you need and double it, thickness planer, jointer, 3 1/2 router in a table, large drill press, 12-14" bandsaw, 1" belt sander, 6" belt & disc sander, engine crane, 220v MIG, bench grinder, TV & computer, fridge (I also have a stove...) Good storage system, tool box with hand tools. That's what I have right now, I'd only add a scroll saw and maybe, only maybe a lathe.
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iO4 wrote:
Band saw
Beer fridge

Just me, or is that not a great mix?
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old friend 9 digit Jimmy once told me bandsaw before beer never fear.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you pretty much hit it all. i would add this: a tracksaw.

This. I good track saw can almost entirely replace a cabinet saw. For a small, one person shop, a track saw is a must to save on space and make breaking down sheet goods so much easier.

Im lusting after a festool track saw system right now. I recently bought one of their dust extractors and would love to have those paired up together.

Also, Lee valley sells a really good track saw adapter kit for a regular circular saw. I believe jroisa recommended it to owen. in another thread. It's probably not what you need to work on expensive sheet goods or finished products, but would probably work fine for most cabinet box construction and the price is definitely right.
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a festool would be nice, but i have a dewalt and it's fine. i've had it for years, i've done a billion cuts with it. everything still works like new.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After some time I moved from building boxes and furniture to musical instruments. Went from power tools to hand tools but some constants.

The finest table saw with the finest blades you can afford. Do not skimp on the blade.
The finest and biggest jointer you can afford
The finest planer (and biggest) your shop can handle
A very nice band saw
A great dust collection system
Clamps, clamps and more clamps
A very nice set of hand chisels, carving knives, spokeshave, hand planers
A nice set of scrapers (and learn how to sharpen them)

More important than anything else...learn how to keep your blades sharp or pay someone to do it. Nothing worse than trying to work with dull blades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I haven't really heard much about the DeWalt. I was considering the Makita, at almost half the price of the festool system.

Is there an anti splintering system of some kind with it? I will be using it to cut pre-finished product and need as deadly an edge as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Woodworkers- what do you want in a shop? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know if there's an anti-splintering system, but there is no splintering. it's a fine blade, lotsa teeth, the saw itself is exceptionally good, and the blade runs right up against a rubber strip that runs the length of the track (on each side of the track). i guess that's the anti-splintering system. then if you want to rout the edge you do that with the track as well. i have an adapter permanently mounted to a porter cable router and it's much more precise than my router table, no splinters, no gouges.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be better off with a duramax 19-38" drum sander. There is a reason furniture builders don't use Uber wide planers for fine finish work. Plane tour pieces close to thickness, joint then, glue up, then finish with the sander.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply

Prev Next