Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easy coverage for IM races?
Quote | Reply
I admit I know very little about computers. How easy would it be for IM to place cameras at each of the timing mats and embed the video on their race website like the finish line? This seems like an easy and better way to track AGers and Pros alike.

I guess they need to figure out their timing mats first, huh?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy coverage for IM races? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of things that IM could easily do to improve coverage. They really have no motivation to do so. Until someone can prove that increasing coverage would be a lucrative business idea, they'll stay the course.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's trivial. It certainly doable. It's 2017. It doesn't need to be as high tech as the Tour but something would be nice.

https://cyclingtips.com/...adcast-to-the-world/

I think a handful of cameras would be great. They could use some basic equipment and livestream.com. It would be great to have some commentators too. Maby a drone for aerial shots for the swim and finish.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Easy coverage for IM races? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if a third party could make a viable business out of race coverage. I doubt people would pay much or anything to watch it. Maybe a couple bucks for a race like St George a couple weeks ago but that would be rare.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Easy coverage for IM races? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like selling ad space in the field of view of the camera could be possible. Or a logo marked on the feed itself. I get that IM doesn't see any money coming from it, but finisherpix might, or another sponsor. It just seems like it should be too costly these days. Not a static live streamed camera at various timing mats. (or the penalty tent.)

I would have liked to see my buddies throughout Gulf Coast this weekend, and I know there would never be live coverage at an event like that. But c'mon, individual streaming through periscope is lame.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my clients is a well known announcer for motoGP. He is interested in doing IM races and so I sent an email to the CEO about it not expecting to hear anything. He said he would present the idea to his team. Thought it was nice of him to reply almost immediately but I am not sure where it will go (if anywhere). I really would like race coverage on at least one race per weekend during the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with ads is that the announcers will be so busy talking about x, y, z companies that we won't even get to see the race unfold. See Kona coverage for example.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Easy coverage for IM races? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I was thinking something much more low key.

But if a third party were to get involved, Finisherpix could sell a $10 addon package that would allow access for x amount of friends and family or allow people to subscribe to and dvr a stream for $x per race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM isn't the most exciting sport to watch and many of the times people are riding solo on the bike. Rather than talk about televising the race, would it be cheaper to have everyone use one of those real time GPS tracking devices (is it Quarq who came out with one)? You could actually watch the race unfold whereas it can be difficult to know what's going on and who is in what position with a visual broadcast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
I guess I was thinking something much more low key.

But if a third party were to get involved, Finisherpix could sell a $10 addon package that would allow access for x amount of friends and family or allow people to subscribe to and dvr a stream for $x per race.

I really believe there is a limited market for a limited raceday streaming video service. If you only have video at the timing mats and/or a few other places I doubt you would have much interest in like 2 seconds as a cyclist goes by. You might as well just stick with the photos from Finisherpix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole Live-Stream coverage space for all kinds of sports is moving and evolving quickly, and I'll add improving as well.

IRONMAN I know get's knocked around on here a lot, but I have to give them credit, they were actually one of the first larger endurance sports events to have online streaming coverage. Way back in the early 2000's IM invested heavily in a for what was at the time, very sophisticated on-line coverage of their races in North America. They were actually ahead of their time because broadband, was still a few years away from being the norm - these were the days that many people were still on dial-up access to the internet.

Again in 2010, IRONMAN Canada (Penticton) partnered up with a local Shaw Cable affiliate station in Britis Columbia to have streaming coverage of the IMC race each year. I was involved in this as first one of the commentators and then, for 3 years the Anchor/Host for the live show.

I'm currently working with Athletics Canada as one of their Commentators for their Live Streaming coverage of various meets/races/events. They use a 3rd party production company, RunnerSpace to shoot, and produce the shows. I'm working on something similar now with Cycling Canada - they are choosing an In-House model. We did a bit of a test-drive last fall with the Canadian Track Cycling Championships and they are hoping to expand the program this year with the Road Cycling Championships, the CX Championships, as well as with Track Cycling races/events.

To produce and create a semi-professional show - you need to know what you are doing and you need to get good commentators, who can call and analyze the action. The line get's a bit blurred between full-on TV production and some of the stuff that RunnerSpace is doing - it's that good! For Canadian Indoor Track & Field Championships last winter, we had between 15,000 - 20,000 unique viewers on the main day of the meet. These are not massive numbers, but they are starting to get up there!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Easy coverage for IM races? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
point taken. I guess I was thinking more transitions and run. I originally wasn't thinking of a revenue stream or all out production, just an easy way to watch various portions of a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer the original question: absurdly easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
point taken. I guess I was thinking more transitions and run. I originally wasn't thinking of a revenue stream or all out production, just an easy way to watch various portions of a race.

I'm sure they could be it's just one more thing to manage. They would need enough interest and, more than likely, a financial angle, being a for profit business.
Quote Reply