Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick next weeks marathon shoe
Quote | Reply
I'm running the Naha marathon next week and am trying to decide next weeks shoe. This is my 5th marathon with a PR of 3:45, 45 years old, 5'11", 170 pounds. I have the Asics 2110 and Adidas Rotterdam and I like both. Which would you go for? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick next weeks marathon shoe [R1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which pair have you used on your long runs? Go with those.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick next weeks marathon shoe [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used both, the only difference is the Adidas Rotterdam's are a bit lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the only difference is weight, why wouldn't you choose the lighter shoe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the 2110 as well as we can know any newly introduced shoe, but I don't know the Rotterdam very well so I don't have specific advice. Some more general considerations:

The 2110s must be VERY new. Have you done a long run in them yet (over 10 miles)? If not, they're out.

Is one shoe more cushioned than the other? The extra cushioning might help ward off fatigue, but at the expense of making you a little bit slower.

On a hilly course, a more flexible shoe will be easier on the climbs when you strike further forward on your foot, but a shoe with more heel cushioning will ease the impact of the downhills.

Is one shoe more stable than the other? If you've had knee problems or ankle pain the extra stability might help ward off those problems. How long after this race do you have to recover? If you've got more planned for the season, more stability might (or might not) help you recover faster.

All other things being equal, a lighter more flxible shoe will allow you to run faster.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
New York
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wear the lighter ones.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use the shoe that you used in training. Say you've been using the 2110 in training and you've been training in them for a few weeks that should be good. I would use that shoe that you've been wearing though. I wouldn't go out and buy another pair of 2110's this weekend and wear those because eventhough they are the same model of shoe I think it would be risky. That's just my experience. I've never used the other shoe you've mentioned so I would go with the 2110's.

I didn't realize the 2110's were out yet. I'm still sporting the 2100 so I guess I have to go shopping now.

Good luck with your race!
Quote Reply