Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about 70.3 bike nutrition
Quote | Reply
I have done a lot of long rides with hammer gel and Gatorade so I know my body handles it well. I am not changing anything for race day, I am just trying to plan out the proper amounts to consume - and pack light. I enjoy a banana and granola bar on a nice long ride but I am not going to mess with them on race day, I want to stay all liquid.

I have a gel flask that can fit 9.5 tbsp of hammer gel and I have three bottles that can fit 20oz of Gatorade.

Given my goal time for the bike leg, I would be consuming roughly the following amount every hour:

Calories - 292
Carbs - 70 g
Sugars - 36 g
Sodium - 297 mg
Potassium - 69 mg

I have read some things saying people can only properly digest 60 g of carbs per hour, so anything over that is a waste.

Fortunately, the one genetic gift I was given in life is I have never have GI issues. I could eat a KFC dipped in Taco Bell on the bike and still feel good.

I am thinking I can either cut back on the gel or increase the gel to adjust the numbers. Does this seem like a good plan or would you cut back or add more?

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 70.3 bike nutrition [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say its not your calories.
Its potentially your lack of sodium.
Have you done a sweat test, before and after training sessions to measure sweat loss?

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do all liquid as well, but my numbers are a lot higher than that. My nutritionist definitely ignores the 60 per hour rule of thumb. I did close to 110g of carbs per hour at Ironman Arizona, and it was the first Ironman I've done that I didn't bonk on the second lap of the run. I'm definitely on the high side of calories and carbs on the bike, but it works for me. I do a PowerGel every 30 and a bottle of Gatorade Endurance every 45 minutes for a half (slightly higher GE intake for Ironman or if it's crazy hot). Our goal is for me to start the run with a full fuel tank, which allows my to only consume the bare minimum while running.

I definitely agree with the above comment above lack of sodium, although I'm guessing that your numbers don't include your Gatorade intake. 3 bottles of GE is almost 1450mg of sodium by itself. To be fair, I am an extremely heavy sweater, even in cool conditions, and that was a major factor when coming up with my race plan, so if you don't sweat a lot or it's a cool race, your sodium may be fine. As mentioned, get a sweat test; it'll change your sodium plan from a guess to an actual plan.

I race with a minimal set-up as well, but mostly because I've learned to utilize the course nutrition. Why carry 3 bottles to start when there are bottles available on the course? I'd say start with 2 and then grab your 3rd out on course. I'm starting Chattanooga 70.3 with only a single throw away bottle to keep my weight down for climbing. The aid stations are every 15 miles which means I'll be able to grab a new bottle right about the time I'm finishing the one I have.

Good luck with your race!
Last edited by: HoustonAg: May 10, 17 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Infinit made me a bike mix (after a consultation). 300 cals/bottle......1 bottle/hr. I might add water, if it's hot. Otherwise, I just carry 3 bottles.

I practiced this several times, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding sodium:
I buy my Gatorade in the powdered mix. It says 12oz contains 160 mg of Sodium.
I think I am doing the math correctly, if so I am not sure why the sodium amount seems low.
I can carry 60 oz of gatorade = 800 mg total
divided by 3.25 hours (my goal bike time) = 246 mg per hour (from the Gatorade only)
I have read articles about how salt sticks are excessive if you are drinking sports drink, but I am sure there are just as many articles saying the opposite. I have never done a sweat test or researched what it is. I know I sweat a lot more in 70 degree weather than 50 degree. Weather here in the north east jumps around so much on a weekly basis.

Regarding aid stations:
I guess it is just a comfort thing to have all of the drink with me but as you said I am sure it will slow me down. This bike course has 5,000' elevation gain so if there was ever a time to pack less this would be it. I always wondered how do the aid stations work - like do they give you full bicycle bottles and how do I know if they will fit in my cages?

Thanks for your feedback and advice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure many people subscribe to the 60g/hour any longer. I had someone at Core Diet make a plan for IM CDA that was at 108/hr, based on my weight and muscle mass.

As to the sodium, I'm at about 1300 mg for a 2:45 bike. I am a heavy sweater, so YMMV.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': May 10, 17 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Regarding sodium:
I buy my Gatorade in the powdered mix. It says 12oz contains 160 mg of Sodium.
I think I am doing the math correctly, if so I am not sure why the sodium amount seems low.
I can carry 60 oz of gatorade = 800 mg total
divided by 3.25 hours (my goal bike time) = 246 mg per hour (from the Gatorade only)
I have read articles about how salt sticks are excessive if you are drinking sports drink, but I am sure there are just as many articles saying the opposite. I have never done a sweat test or researched what it is. I know I sweat a lot more in 70 degree weather than 50 degree. Weather here in the north east jumps around so much on a weekly basis.

Ah, I didn't see that you said Gatorade as opposed to Gatorade Endurance. Very different sodium levels as GE is almost double.

bluestacks867 wrote:
Regarding aid stations:
I guess it is just a comfort thing to have all of the drink with me but as you said I am sure it will slow me down. This bike course has 5,000' elevation gain so if there was ever a time to pack less this would be it. I always wondered how do the aid stations work - like do they give you full bicycle bottles and how do I know if they will fit in my cages?

Thanks for your feedback and advice.

The aid station will do bottle handups as you ride by of both Orange Gatorade Endurance and Water. Both are sports bottles that fit perfectly into a bike cage. On races with aid stations, I just start the race with all my liquids in the disposable plastic Gatorade Sports bottle and just throw them away at the trash zone just prior to the aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about 70.3 bike nutrition [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I'm not sure many people subscribe to the 60g/hour any longer. I had someone at Core Diet make a plan for IM CDA that was at 108/hr, based on my weight and muscle mass.

Core Diet is the same plan I use. I was at about 120/hr for IMAZ and about 110/hr for 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5,000' of elevation is a serious HIM bike course.

Just remember, though.....you won't be carrying 3 full bottles the whole way. Well......you kinda will....but...........You kinda will be, even if you grab it at the aid stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if I should get some salt stick tablets since my basic Gatorade does not contain enough sodium. I have time to try them a few times before race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I wonder if I should get some salt stick tablets since my basic Gatorade does not contain enough sodium. I have time to try them a few times before race.

You don't actually need any sodium - the human body can manage sodium levels on it's own sufficiently well. So I would just go with the simplest plan you can.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply