Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pikes Peak
Quote | Reply
I am looking into a trip out to Colorado Springs and wanted to get some insight about biking Pikes Peak...time, what kind of bike, places to rent a bike etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Pikes Peak [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this video a bit ago and has me sold on trying to climb it. Good information in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NECDeWhpL8

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope to do it this year in July. So far, it looks like a 34/32 is needed and get started early. I did Mt. Evans last summer, but from what I've read, Pikes Peak is steeper, Mt. Evans was just a long gradual climb. I may do Evans again to prepare for Pikes Peak.
Last edited by: damn lucky: May 9, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever smallest gear you have, you will wish you had just one more smaller. Be prepared for very cold weather at the top. Make sure your brakes are in good shape and aluminum brake tracks are much more reliable than carbon. I ruined a pair of Reynolds carbon rims coming down from overheating them and they warped.
Quote Reply
Re: Pikes Peak [fwrunco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was out there visiting some friends in the summer of 2015, rented a mid range Felt from one of the shops and just rode whatever gearing it had.
Like someone else mentioned it will very cold at the top, so bring some clothes to wear for the descent.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips everyone. Any other places I should explore around there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year did they start allowing bicycles to go up? Last time I was there it was not allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GwennyPants wrote:
Thanks for the tips everyone. Any other places I should explore around there?

Cheyanne Canyon and Garden of the Gods are 2 other nice places to explore either by bike or on foot.
The Broadmore hotel is very well worth checking out (not by bike) and grabbing a drink on one of the outdoor areas.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Pikes Peak [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What crank size do you recommend? I know it probably depends on what you can push but I am a low lander from the midwest and I am moving to Golden in the summer (Got into boulder for grad school) and need to make sure I have the right gear to push myself up these mountains.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this last August. Definitely a good time. You can rent from Criterium bikes:

http://criterium.com/about/rentals-pg66.htm

I got there early, as a line can form at the gate when the park opens. I drove to the Crystal Reservoir parking lot and rode from there. If you do that, let them know you have a bike in the car (if it's not obvious) so they can give you a cycling tag at the main gate.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The town at the bottom of Pikes Peak is cool, Manitou Springs. Also, if you have kids with you (after or before the ride), I would recommend the zoo in Colorado Springs, which has the largest herd of giraffes in North America. And, you can feed them. Pretty neat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it. I'll be back this July to do it again bringing 15 teammates 15 hour drive to do it. It's that worth it IMO. I've said it before, but it may be the coolest thing I've done as an endurance athlete. And yes I've done marathon, IM, etc..etc... As a flatlander it's pretty neat to ride to 14K+.

The most important thing you need to know and be honest about is your fitness. Gears matter. A lot. Plan to go 6mph most of the way. Can you do that with 34-28? Sure, but it will suck.

So know your w/kg. If it's not 4+ you are best off with a gear BIGGER than 32. Seriously. If you want to enjoy the ride don't under gear. Then as other say leave early and arrive at gate open. Bring a rain shell or something for the descent and rain is always likely the later you go in the day.

It's epic. Enjoy it.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Pikes Peak [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are just asking about generally riding around in the area (not Pike's Peak specifically), I had a 53/39 in front and a 12/26 in the back on my road-bike (still do...but, I've moved to the lowlands). I lived in Ft. Collins for 8 years (97-04) and rode everywhere through the foothills, up to Estes, etc---400+ miles a week---with that gearing.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 11, 17 12:51
Quote Reply