Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

measured fit vs feel - how well can you guesstimate the right fit?
Quote | Reply
I had a professional fit when I bought my bike. That's about 18 months ago, and since then I've gone from nothing to USAT scores in the low 80ies. I'm about to be 45, rode 30 mile every day in high school, this is my first fast bike. Cannondale Slice with a bunch of upgrades.

I fell my fit has changed. I want to ride more aggressive, bars lower, more to the front, pads closer. I can exactly say what I want to change, if it were up to me. But how close would I be able to get just going on feel? I understand that the bike fit exists for a reason, but I don't think that I'm completely off by thinking that I need to ride more aggressive.

If I were to use my "this feels good" settings, how far would I end up from a fitter?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: measured fit vs feel - how well can you guesstimate the right fit? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
If I were to use my "this feels good" settings, how far would I end up from a fitter?

Pretty far. I'm very far from my initial TT fit position. Fitters tend to fit for comfort. Which is fine. So you end up in a very comfortable, but maybe not totally aero-optimized position.

I think the important thing when going by feel is to both have a documented starting point, so you can fall back to it. And also an understanding of what you're changing when you change it. For example changing many pieces of equipment changes multiple fit parameters simultaneously. E.g. changing stem length on an angled stem changes with the pad "x" and pad "y" location.

But what you're doing is a natural progression, I feel. Starting with a professional fit and then venturing forth out from there. It's a craft. Even a detailed 2-hour fit plus 1-hour follow-up doesn't scratch the surface of the range of experimentation possible.
Quote Reply
Re: measured fit vs feel - how well can you guesstimate the right fit? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Far from your original fit? Probably. Far from what a new fit would be? Maybe, maybe not.

Play around with it. If you're faster or more comfortable, great! If your original fitter offers a discount for an updated fit, you could pursue that, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Document your current position and then have at it. Its not rocket science. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember that "comfortable" really only has to be "comfortable enough" to maintain the position for the distance you're riding, and that can change. You can get by with a lot less "comfortable enough" in sprint and Oly than IM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply