Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have about 1.5-2 weeks before I have to order some. Had order zipp evo 110 but canceled order hoping for these!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any news??

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [caodecaca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still waiting...

Iā€™m not great at posting pics in here...but I did see a great picture of the bars/extensions on his Facebook page...it really looks nice. I hope that is the one they are going to sell...at some point šŸ˜Š
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the extensions in the flesh. The ski bends struck me as...ski bends. Not much different from other ski bends. The Evo shaped ones look like a step up from the actual Evos ā€” they are perceptibly lighter and will probably make for easier head unit mounting because they are circular. The shape is slightly different (not sure if better or worse) and there is only one rise pitch but they can be swapped left for right to slightly alter the shape. The Evos are one sided.

Iā€™m also hoping to give them a shot at some point, but I know there have been delays.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds intriguing, I could not hold out any more and had to buy the Evo 110's. I do really like how they have textured the ends.

When Matt finally gets them out I would still like to try them especially if I can't get garmin mounted correctly.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [caodecaca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey All-

To give you an update on our parts status.

The product that you've seen on the AG2R Factor Slick TT bikes and under many of the World's best Triathletes has consumed all of our early production availability. Our own production is currently underway and our initial batches of extensions will start delivering in the next week or so. Quantities will be limited on this initial delivery, but we wanted to thank those of you who have supported our effort up until now, and sell whatever we can. With Chinese New Year starting today, which basically runs the length of Feb, we won't have more news until the beginning of March on follow up deliveries.

We are working with arguably one of the best carbon manufacturers in the business. We and our customers are very fortunate to have this relationship as our products will be the gold standard of manufacturing quality. The downside is that we are small and having to push and shove to get in the production line amongst some of the largest companies in the industry and often get deprioritized.

The Aero Bar System is complete and has passed all proprietary testing vs the single ISO test. We will have pre production samples at the beginning of March that will be out on the road while production begins. I don't have any information on when the bar will be available for purchase, but we don't foresee any major delays.

Thank you all for your interest. This is a very exciting, yet challenging venture to undertake. We will strive to be "open books" about our product design inputs, and even more so to provide exceptional customer service.

Here we go!

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know its standard in the industry--and nothing unique to your product-- but I always find it strange that pros--whose livelihood depends on the speed and safety of any given product-- are the ones testing these products for the masses.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I know its standard in the industry--and nothing unique to your product-- but I always find it strange that pros--whose livelihood depends on the speed and safety of any given product-- are the ones testing these products for the masses.

I can't speak for everyone, but I believe there are a few different reasons.

1. Any responsible company is performing lab testing and are fairly confident in the products before placing them under people.
2. You don't want the masses field testing your products incase there is a problem.
3. An event timeline for a specific group. They'd naturally have the product first. (Pro Tour, Kona, etc)
4. Marketing. You have a small, yet visible sample who will put more miles on a product than the average joe, who's not going to post on slowtwitch if there were problems with the product.

For most companies, anything you see out on the road is very close to production. Anything can happen, but they generally are very safe to ride. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know of any manufacturer that takes the safety of their products lightly.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right. And this all makes sense. Again and Iā€™m not targeting you here, the post just made me think about it.

Point #2 is particularly intriguing to me and was the focus of my comment. I understand you donā€™t want the masses testing but that effectively means you are asking pros to do that who need these products to work, be fast etc far more than we do.

In any event, looking forward to seeing your products soon!
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

You think my collarbone is worth less than someone who can finish a 70.3 15 minutes faster? I donā€™t understand how it matters what you do for a living when it comes to product safety even on a demo basis. But then again youā€™re the lawyer, and it does of course matter during litigation.

I am only a profamateur but have been demo-ing prototype products this winter and two have been unsafe, but I know the risks and I am willing to take them ā€” I waive liability when I do this. I think Iā€™m doing everyone a service by trying out these things and giving feedback, not that it isnā€™t self serving because I want to do it.

I sent one product I tried to an engineer for evaluation and his response was ā€œI am not being dramatic...you could have died from this.ā€ Iā€™ve had similar experiences with production goods, including a sheared fork steerer that caused $7K in dental damage when I went face first into the ground. I broke my hand and very nearly missed a 70.3 that Iā€™d prepaid for. I made just as much money that day as Scott Bradley.

Anyways, these products are widely unsafe ā€” look at how Felt handled Clamp-gate, and they used to be the big brand I trusted most ā€” and we are all taking risks when we buy and use them. The difference makers I look for are a) where and in what factory the products are made over in Asia and b) how companies respond and address the issue when there is trouble.

In my view it is utterly unacceptable not to initiate a recall and issue broad communication to consumers when there is a clear cut physical danger due to lack of product integrity. Which is why I wonā€™t be buying a Felt again.

Regarding manufacturing, the problem for the small upstarts is that the large, high volume and most experienced factories arenā€™t interested in the kinds of volumes that are appropriate for an under capitalized upstart. In general, big manufacturing guys donā€™t need smaller guys ā€” why mess with an order of 150 that requires additional complexity in the factory when Spesh is ordering 20x that amount?

I inherently trust the small upstarts who have manufacturing connections in Asia that allow them to get into those high quality factories, and I wish they spoke about it more for both education and marketing. I know for a fact Dan Kennison of PremierBike is one of those trusted upstarts by virtue of his historical experience in Asian manufacturing, and I suspect Mat and 51 Speedshop will be one of those because of his work with Cervelo/Factor.

I wish we knew more about where and how this stuff is made, but ultimately it seems the best guide is who gets and how many get hurt and how the company responds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

You think my collarbone is worth less than someone who can finish a 70.3 15 minutes faster? I donā€™t understand how it matters what you do for a living when it comes to product safety even on a demo basis. But then again youā€™re the lawyer, and it does of course matter during litigation.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. Not to put words in his mouth, but. If you break your arm testing a product you're likely able to go to work on Monday, do your job and get paid. If a professional athlete breaks their arm they're not going back to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Sounds intriguing, I could not hold out any more and had to buy the Evo 110's. I do really like how they have textured the ends.

When Matt finally gets them out I would still like to try them especially if I can't get garmin mounted correctly.

Check out the Alden mount. Everyone I know except stevej digs it, and I know a lot of Evo users on it.

The advantages to the 51SS / disadvantages to the Zipps are

1) the 51SS are round all the way, making Garmin mounting easier, as stated
2) the 51SS are round at the tip, which means that you donā€™t have a stupid hole hanging out there at the end of the extension when you convert to the one button shifters, which you will as soon as you figure out that the 9-32T cassette from 3T renders a front derailleur and 2 button shifters irrelevant
3) the Zipps are heavy as all hell. I mean.. I havenā€™t even weighed them but compared to the Profile Design ones that came with Aeria they are perceptibly heavier...remember, weight is almost as important as aero (on hilly terrain) in the age of peak aero
4) the Zipp Evos have been of inconsistent quality for me...I had to return a pair because I couldnā€™t get the e tube through the extension as the carbon was delaminating, which is just not acceptable. Maybe they should stick to wheels

I guess the only question left is price value. We donā€™t know pricing on 51SS yet I donā€™t think. What did you pay for your Evo 110s and where did you get them?

One thing Iā€™d like to see down the line from 51SS and/or Zipp is an extension that is wide enough at the rear for the new Shimano bar end junction. Bonus points if you also have a series of holes in the side, like the Premier Tactical uses for adjustment, so that my e tube can cleanly exit without a dremel.

I have been thinking about this as I am in the process of entirely rewiring my Felt because I just cannot stand the current external junction box and also the brake cable routing. This mess that Iā€™ve done everything possible to clean up at initial build is still unacceptable due to the poor hole location of the Enve bar relative to the front brake ā€” Iā€™m reversing the brakes Ricky Bobby style to fix what is a poor design by Enve, along with the worlds most difficult internal routing. But in order to really clean this system up I have to do all kinds of crazy mods to the extension.

I do wonder how much the average consumer even cares about this stuff, especially given what you see in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's essentially what I was saying.

Since I (and probably Kiley) make more money than the vast majority of pros, I guess you could make an argument that our collarbones are more valuable. But, yes, my point was that many injuries I could sustain in a bike-related incident won't put me out of work which isn't necessarily true for a pro. Even a minor injury that leaves a pro out of "work" for a week or two could have a major impact on their season and source of income. Such an injury has little impact on my bottom line. Anyway, let's keep the thread on topic...

Kiley's observations about the ski bend were about what I expected. I mean, they are ski bends--what magic do we expect Speedshop to utilize to transform this product in a "gotta-buy". I am interested in the other extensions. I'm not sure why some other companies can't make carbon versions of certain extensions without making them thicker at the end which just creates issues with hand grips, computer and drink placement, etc. Maybe the layup is more expensive. But that is the reason I have almost always opted for alloy extensions. I gave up on the Sppedshop aerobar at least for now in lieu of the PD Ultimate because I didn't want to wait for more delays. But, I'm still willing to give the extensions a try whenever they do hit the market.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 SPEEDSHOP Aero Bar System [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
kileyay wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. Not to put words in his mouth, but. If you break your arm testing a product you're likely able to go to work on Monday, do your job and get paid. If a professional athlete breaks their arm they're not going back to work.

If I break my collarbone, Iā€™m going to lose a weeks worth of productivity, as well as income loss that dwarfs that of (the overwhelming majority of) professional triathletesā€™ take at the races during the recovery, plus significantly more in pain and distress. Ask my colleagues and girlfriend how much of a miserable shit I was in the fall when I was in a boot for six weeks.

I donā€™t think pro triathletes should be treated like they are special in terms of health. Nobody should be using this stuff, age grouper or pro, unless they are willing to take the risk on a prototype product, and that should be anyone who the maker selects. My opinion, of course, but I strongly agree with the 51SS approach due to the mileage from marketing. That pays for itself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Check out the Alden mount. Everyone I know except stevej digs it, and I know a lot of Evo users on it.

I wouldnā€™t say I donā€™t dig it. Itā€™s a great mount... period. My only issue is the position/angle I have to mount it due to the evo 110 design, wanting the computer close to my hands, and needing enough room/clearance to get a bottle in/out bta. This isnā€™t a mount problem... more of a bar, position, and bike setup issue. The angle of my 520 causes a significant glare in low light conditions (especially early mornings).

I have yet to find a better solution.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next