Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA Accessories [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
After all of this, I just felt like buying another bike.

one and done Felt owner here. next bike will be anything else
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Accessories [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
BryanD wrote:

That seems a bit extreme! There are definitely worse bikes, but there are also bikes of similar quality and performance to the IA that win simply because Felt haven't responded to the relatively basic shortfalls that have been pointed out again and again. They seem to have put plenty effort into developing the frame and stock build but then stopped dead and decided everything else was someone else's problem. No remedies to known issues, no integration solutions, nothing. So now they've created a lot of irritated owners, and if they think that won't impact future sales either from potential repeat customers or those that have been warned off by existing customers, they need to pay more attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Accessories [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe not ANYTHING else, but I feel the exact same way you feel. There's too many excellent options out there at a similar pricepoint that didn't go 85% of the way and stop cold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
BryanD wrote:

What kind of options would that be? Most bikes, like the cervelo p2 or p3 or even p5 doesn't have the possibility for boxes like the quintana roo or trek. And isn't it only Specialized that has the within triangle storage? IA can you parts from other manufacturers, lika quintna roo, trek or specialized and they fit ok. Those bikes has other flaws, like the shiv that can't have the aero bars angled.

Would it be better to have a fast customer support with clear answers saying no these parts will not be made? These future parts will be a bonus for me, all other features of the bike is what I based my decision on.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Accessories [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teinvall wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
....Would it be better to have a fast customer support with clear answers saying no these parts will not be made?
Yes, it would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I do not get all of the angst over the Calpac and draft box. If Felt never put the rear bosses on the IAxx frame, then no one would have said a peep. When I bought my IA, I did not base the decision on a future promise of the draft box. At the time, draft boxes were an emerging trend, but not a factor at all for my purchase decision. I am mystified why Felt has not produced it, but I find the "buy anything else" response extreme. It is a very fast bike, even without a Felt draft box.

I did question the Calpac design when I bought mine. But, the overall value and performance of the bike offset the Calpac. Now, 4 tris later, I have never used it and the design is a total non-factor. I hope they offer an improvement, because I probably would use it in a full IM. But, even if they do not, the bike is still very fast.

The market has definitely pivoted since Felt introduced the original IAx line and then the IAxx last year. Back then, was it only Trek that had a draft box? Now draft boxes are table stakes on many bikes. So, Felt is at a clear competitive disadvantage today that did not exist a year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Accessories [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I do not get all of the angst over the Calpac and draft box. If Felt never put the rear bosses on the IAxx frame, then no one would have said a peep. When I bought my IA, I did not base the decision on a future promise of the draft box. At the time, draft boxes were an emerging trend, but not a factor at all for my purchase decision. I am mystified why Felt has not produced it, but I find the "buy anything else" response extreme. It is a very fast bike, even without a Felt draft box.

I did question the Calpac design when I bought mine. But, the overall value and performance of the bike offset the Calpac. Now, 4 tris later, I have never used it and the design is a total non-factor. I hope they offer an improvement, because I probably would use it in a full IM. But, even if they do not, the bike is still very fast.

The market has definitely pivoted since Felt introduced the original IAx line and then the IAxx last year. Back then, was it only Trek that had a draft box? Now draft boxes are table stakes on many bikes. So, Felt is at a clear competitive disadvantage today that did not exist a year ago.

it might be a touch harsh, but given the market, and this being ST ... not being able to optimize your bike setup without having to hack together a bunch of stuff is quite annoying. it's still a good bike worth purchasing and I might have let my frustration boil over with my comment, but overall Felt isn't doing themselves any favors. I had to take a hacksaw to my calpac the first week of ownership to be able to fit anything in the calpac. I have to pay 6 euro for replacement slot covers (each) when I mess around with my fit (i just use electrical tape now). they seriously aren't that customer friendly.

then the icing is when they flaunt all these accessories Rinny gets that we'd absolutely love to get our hands on. that's just taunting
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Accessories [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I largely agree regarding the draftbox.
However, the Calpac is worse than useless. It's too small alright, but it will hold 2 or 3 gels so it's still useful....except for that damn cover. The design is just bad. I'm mystified to understand how they didn't recognise that before releasing the original but even more stumped by their releasing the IAxx without improving on it.

What the cover needs to do:
  1. Give easy access to the contents
  2. Stay in place
  3. Bonus points: Look alright

It doesn't do such a great job at letting your fingers in there. Instead you get access to the shallow end of the cavity and have no hope of retrieving anything small while riding, despite the relatively small volume of the cavity to begin with.
Okay, maybe you do have a hope of retrieving something if you have long fingers but don't be too aggressive or number 2 may come into play. The hatch is not positively locked in place. It's a squeeze fit with rubbery catches that give zero confidence that they are engaged. The cover doesn't sit flush and tidy as I would expect and to be honest, ruins the aesthetic of the bike. Oh, yes, that's number 3 failed too!
Providing on bike storage in that area is an obvious thing to do and they were one of the first to build it in. But they really did a half-assed job of it. Perhaps Specialized had something to do with it and the originally planned hydration system, had it gone ahead would have been far better executed and what we ended up with was just a last minute damage control measure. But, if so, how did that fudge manage to stick around unaddressed ever since the release of the first IA.
IMO, bosses on the top tube behind the stem, ala P2/P3 are a better solution than the Calpac as executed.
Oh, did I mention that I regularly knock the cover of the Calpac out of position with my knee or leg. Usually when I stop at a junction and rest the top tube against my leg. Incredibly irritating. So I have a "feature", I rarely use but which nevertheless causes irritation on nearly every ride. These are not huge issues, but they are real and shouldn't be, not in a properly refined design; which this should be given it's not the first iteration.
Quote Reply

Prev Next