Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How often to tune up (full tune up)?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what is the general assessment of the ST community around tuning up the tri bike. I'm talking full disassembly, cable changing, all around tune up?

Is there a guideline per miles ridden, every year, what do people around here do?

Prepping for IMMT and have not done this in a loooong time. I know I will do it but was wondering how often and what benefits do you get from it?

Also tires, how often do you change tires?
Quote Reply
Re: How often to tune up (full tune up)? [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh my!

I'm doing my "full tune up" this week. Bike was new in '10 and have done maintenance "this and that" every now and then. but, this time. every bolt is being removed, scrubbed and checked new headset (way way over due). Cables, etc. I'm psyched for feeling how tight my ride will be. This is my race bike that I do train on maybe 30% - 40%. Tires, humm...I have race wheels for racing only. The rubber on those stays under maybe 300 miles - then they go on my training wheels for the race bike, after that they get to where I think they are at the half way point, I'll put them on my daily trainer. I wear out tires on that bike faster, so I feed that one cheapo tires when needed.

Next up will be my "training" bike - it is filthy.

Have fun.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly not IMMEDIATELY before an event---the biggest risk is that you will "forget" something when you reassemble.

Everything has a planned maintenance schedule. All planned maintenance should be completed well in advance of an event with check-rides (not just a quickie around the block, either) to shake down the result. Most major disassembly/reassembly work has a settling in period where it is not uncommon for things to seat or loosen and require re-adjustment/tightening after a ride or 3.

Pre-race should include a checklist of things to confirm (bike is clean and lubed, bolts are tight, shifting is good, pads are good, etc). But, very little if any "action" should be required---minor adjustments, and tightening a loose bolt...but, no major disassembly. The most I would hope to have to do is replace the chain with the super-magic zero-friction chain, and turn a barrel adjuster a quarter turn.

That said...

Replace sealed cartridge bearings....every few years (3-5)
check/clean/regrease race/ball/needle bearings...once a year
Replace chain...2000 miles (or when fails measurements)
Replace cassette...every 2 chains (or when chain fails measurement)
Check wheels for bearing play...once a week
Replace cables/housings...every year (or when shifting starts to degrade) (or when adjustment starts to get asymmetric...ie, it shifts well one way or the other, but not both)
Loosen nuts/bolts/screws and retighten...once a year (verify nothing is frozen/corroded)
Verify fit coordinates....once a month
Check wheels for true...every ride
Check Brake pads...once a week
Check tires for wear/sidewall damage...every ride
Quote Reply
Re: How often to tune up (full tune up)? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Replace cassette...every 2 chains (or when chain fails measurement)
Replace cables/housings...every year (or when shifting starts to degrade) (or when adjustment starts to get asymmetric...ie, it shifts well one way or the other, but not both)
Verify fit coordinates....once a month
Check wheels for true...every ride

Some of these recommendations are extremely conservative.
If you replace your chain regularly and keep your drivetrain clean you should be able to get way more than 4000 miles out of a cassette. Whenever I replace the chain I remove the cassette and chainrings, soak them in solvent, and then clean them with a brush until shiny clean.
I don't think it's necessary to replace housing every year unless you ride a lot in very bad conditions. I think every 2-3 years is fine with housing, every year or so for cables depending on how much you ride.
"Verify fit coordinates" sounds like you get the level and tape measure out once a month. If you just do simple things like mark your seatpost height with a piece of tape, and your handlebars with a piece of tape aligned with the stem, a quick visual inspection suffices.
If you check your wheels for true every ride you must have very unreliable wheels! I find every now and then is fine.

I'd add checking your headset for play and checking your brake action every week or so. Brakes can get gummed up with gatorade and start rubbing.
Also oiling your chain once a week and wiping it down regularly, and cleaning drivetrain components if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to tune up (full tune up)? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Some of these recommendations are extremely conservative.

Fair enough. Yes, that's probably true.

The schedule I use is below my financial pain threshold, and my "not more maintenance" threshold...and, the bike is "never" performing sub-par....so, I'm happy. Also, I created the schedule when I was a pure cyclist...and rode a LOT more than I do as a triathlete. So, I'm sure it could be extended. Of course, that schedule can be tempered with "am I having a problem?" or "does it look ok?"...and skip a schedule if neither of those indicates a need. The truth is very few things fail outright...most just result in a gradual decrease in performance over time/distance. So, the dividing lines are a bit arbitrary...based on some acceptable level of degradation.

I was intentionally vague about the "fit coords" item (eg, exactly HOW). Personally, I have marks and tape at strategic locations that allow me to either directly inspect (saddle height), or use a square to quickly verify (saddle nose)everything is where it should be. So, yes it takes 5 minutes to check everything...10 if something has to be corrected. No levels, plumb lines, or tape measures required. That said, if those marks didn't exist...I think its still important to ensure the position isn't changing every month, however you have to get it done.

Re: Wheels...I check them, but I don't have to true them. So, I disagree that it is indicative of a quality issue--I would agree if truing were frequently necessary. But, I just lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin. I can see if it has any wobble, and if there is any brake drag. Two birds. 99.5% of the time, all is good. 0.4% of the time a brake caliper is rubbing because it got bumped. That other 0.1% there is a minor wobble that I can fix when I have time, but doesn't stop me from going on a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very different definition of "tune-up"... What you describe is more of an overhaul. To me, a tune-up are relatively non-invasive things like adjusting cables and lubricating (or maybe replacing) the chain. An overhaul is on the order of a tear-down to the frame, including stuff like new cables & housings, replacing (or re-greasing) bearings, replacing chainrings, replacing cassette, etc.

Tune-up can (probably should) be almost be continuous, so that is never a task to consider before a race.

Overhaul is dealing with long-term wear items and should be done at some multiple of an annual level. For example, you probably can get away with doing the overhaul items on the order of every two to three years. Some bearings may need more frequent, like headset and bottom bracket, but those are also quick and easy by themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have a big race like an IM, I will get a full tune up at my LBS about a month out. Other than that, I do it every year. I have race tires that last around 500 miles.
Quote Reply