Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody going to st.croix?
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing it as a last minute thing. I am itching to do a race like cabin fever. Anyone here going?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't miss it! This will be my eighth time up The Beast for me, and sad that the 70.3 won't be there next year (although I suspect Tom will stage some kind of triathlon). See you at the pier or at Hotel on the Cay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And don't forget, Cape Air doesn't take bikes, so be cautious and sure on your last-minute reservations (both United and American Airlines sometimes route you on Cape Air). Cape Air flies smaller Cessnas from San Juan to STX and they don't have the baggage space for bike boxes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there as well, flying out Thursday, cant wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there...at the back of the pack :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see you on the island!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw the start list... just over 200 people? for 35 slots to worlds? Have fun guys! wish I could work this in...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Just saw the start list... just over 200 people? for 35 slots to worlds? Have fun guys! wish I could work this in...

Which is exactly why the race is dead after this year. Definitely a shame, but folks were mostly only going for Kona slots. Good luck to all who are racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Which is exactly why the race is dead after this year. Definitely a shame, but folks were mostly only going for Kona slots. Good luck to all who are racing.

I hope Tom puts on a non MDot race there. Once I am back to full health, I will head back just like I did Wildflower 3x after it was no longer associated with Ironman
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly Dev, if the IM label can only draw 200 in St Croix a stictly local event would be lucky to get over 50. It might not even be economically viable. This is a shame for the economy of St Croix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Sadly Dev, if the IM label can only draw 200 in St Croix a stictly local event would be lucky to get over 50. It might not even be economically viable. This is a shame for the economy of St Croix.

I am not so sold on that. I'll explain why. Long before it was an Mdot event, the St. Croix tri was a big season starting event and they would get a ton of pros over. That basically put the event on the map (with the requisite prize money and TV coverage) before the Kona slots came along. After that St. Croix kept th pro field and added the Kona slots many years later. By then it became like a world championship caliber with a really fast pro field, but with a local race feel. But the coolest part was everyone could hang out with the pros in a resort and have a big party.

The problem aside from taking away the Kona slots, is that WTC made this a non pro field. If you had a pro field, big prize purse and lots of interaction between pros and athletes, athletes will still go (ex Roth, or many of the Challenge events in Europe). With no pro field, AND no Kona slots, its less of a show, then it becomes an age grouper only race for 70.3 World's slots. People don't care enough for 70.3 World's slots to go to St. Croix when they can just go to a local 70.3. Can a big party race with a stacked pro field and good prize money compete for athletes with other races? I THINK with a pointy pro field it can but without one it cannot. Am I assigning too much value to a big pro race without Kona slots? Maybe I am. Maybe today's triathlete does not care about the pro field at all. In the past, new events were able to "launch" with big prize money and a big pro field.

I bet you St. George 70.3 dies a slow death if you remove the pro field/North America championships. Then it becomes like Silverman 1 year after 70.3. Worlds, there were a bunch of us at Silverman for one of the toughest 70.3's out there (harder than Vegas Worlds). But it had no pro field. By the next year, no pro field, and then after that it was dead.

Without being part of the IM circuit, maybe Tom can experiment going back to the roots and raise some prize money for a stacked pro field and re launch the whole thing and see if it flies? Worth the experiment if they can pull up prize money budget from local govts to enhance tourism. I'd say killing the pro field had as much to do with the reduction as Kona slots. Getting liberated from WTC, you won't get back the Kona slots, but you can get back the pro field. Maybe avoid the May 5th weekend, althogh a tradititonal weekend and steer clear of St. George and go a bit earlier so you can get a stacked pro field. Then package up the show and give it a roll.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right about St George 70.3, but outside of Ironman the environment has changed and it seems the only way to draw pros in North America is to have some very well-funded spectacle like Island House or Super League. If St Croix could pair something like that up with an age group race then they might have a chance. I would love to see it, but count me as skeptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article about St. Croix. After vacationing there last year right before the event, I put the event on my bucket list. Maybe another event will spring up, as my wife and I loved that island!

http://www.gotostcroix.com/st-croix-blog/the-final-ironman-stcroix-triathlon/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone here on the island I sure could use a hand! My wife's Garmin 735 just went kaput. If anyone has a spare watch or knows where on the island we can get one that would be amazing! We talked to Tom and no luck so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody going to st.croix? [ianm98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I think you are right about St George 70.3, but outside of Ironman the environment has changed and it seems the only way to draw pros in North America is to have some very well-funded spectacle like Island House or Super League. If St Croix could pair something like that up with an age group race then they might have a chance. I would love to see it, but count me as skeptical.

While I am skeptical, IF they could stack up a world championship caliber top tier of pros, with govt tourism money for the prize purse and appearance fees, and market it like crazy, then it could be a last round "hail Mary" to see if enough age groupers "come" without any slots. I concur the triathlon landscape has changed, but it could be worth a shot if Tom Guthrie can pitch it to the local govts to invest. I THINK there is nothing to lose. But it would take some hard marketing and steering clear of some WTC events. But a spring "big payday" race could be attractive. That's how the entire gig on that island started.
Quote Reply