Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike?
Quote | Reply
There are times I'd love for my tri bike to be able to better handle rough roads, beyond what 80-85psi tire pressure will provide.

Anyone else think they could benefit in terms of speed due to increased comfort with something like this integrated cleanly into the front end of a tri bike?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually thinking hard about taking a size Large Specialized Shiv and:
  • cutting out the front of the headtube to lower the stack height down to 50cm
  • installing this futureshock
  • adding a set of MORPH aerobars
  • changing out the internal fluid bladder to a 2L bladder
  • doctor the fork and under-bb mount to accept a direct mount EE brake

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did redshift ever produce their suspension stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I would. How much of a weight penalty would it be?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike? [simonsen77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simonsen77 wrote:
Did redshift ever produce their suspension stem?

Yes, the first batch have been produced and kickstarter orders fulfilled.

As to the original question, maybe, but I think I'd want the spring pretty firm and the suspension travel quite limited. I still find Triathlon bike handling a bit wonky. Too much movement between the cockpit and wheel might make it too much so, even if its all vertical.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I'm actually thinking hard about taking a size Large Specialized Shiv and:
  • cutting out the front of the headtube to lower the stack height down to 50cm
  • installing this futureshock
  • adding a set of MORPH aerobars
  • changing out the internal fluid bladder to a 2L bladder
  • doctor the fork and under-bb mount to accept a direct mount EE brake

Just saw you PM

The easiest route to accomplish this would be either Red Shift's suspension stem or one of the similar stems available in the market. I wouldn't get into an structural mods to a Shiv, plus I'm pretty sure you'd have to actually use the fork from the Roubiax. I don't recall *why* exactly but I remember seeing something in the system that made the fork proprietary so it would accommodate the shock.

I've tried stuffing larger bladders down my size large Shiv. It's not going to happen :) No need to doctor the brake mounts, they already take direct mount brakes. I've thought about swapping my TriRigs for EE brakes just to see what the difference would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um... No.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
modifying the stack height would be a job for Calfee or the like. I believe the TRP and shimano-style dual mount posts are different widths. TriRig brakes get the job done, but I would never want to descend the HC and Cat 1 climbs around here on TriRigs, but my EE's are confidence inspiring, on par with DA and better than SRAM and Campy.

The stem idea could work. Though, to be honest, what I really want is just some elastomer dampening under the armpads. That would completely suffice and accomplish the goal. Good to know on no 2L bladder in a Shiv!

So, seeing how I have a crush on the P5x enve adjustable on-the-fly front end, figuring out a way to use that bikes useless (for me) compartments to house an internal hydration system would do the trick, seeing how I'm pretty sold on disc brake performance - just give me the new TRP TT hydro calipers/levers, or an unreleased/soon to be released DA version, get some elastomers under the aeropads... and a MORPH bar?

Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 24, 17 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run a softride suspension stem on my tri bike.
Partly because where I come from had no tarmac apart from the town centre, just slow chip seal roads with plenty of irregularities.
Also when you scoot forward the bar height goes down auto for you.

As soon as the group hit rougher chip seal road, everybody used to think I put down the power to bust up the group but I just kept doing what I was doing. The stem seemed to make the bike faster on rough roads.
But I was also running 18mm tyres 160psi, so maybe not applicable to today's modern bikes.

When I was still running my ancient alloy bike and riding with a local group here where there are plenty of good roads, one ride each week we would head out a particular road for a long hill.
As soon as we got out of suburbia along this certain bit of road, it was on.
The group got hard to hold and I always wondered why the guys at the front worked so hard early on when all the bragging rights come from the long hill later in the ride.

I was wrong, all that was happening was that my ancient alloy bike was shaking the shit out of me when the road surface changed and everybody else on their carbon wonder bikes were just riding on as usual.

So I am always curious as to these type of developments.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you ever tri a specialized futureshock steerer tube on a tri bike? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That brings up two good, separate points:

1. I'd like to try elastomers with 10mm travel under the arm pads to smooth out most any road while in the aerobars
  2. Your comment on the front end lowering as you scoot forward: take that idea up a notch, I really do like the idea of having a dropper-seatpost style mech (eightpin technology) hooked up to my di2 battery where I can pre-program, say, 5 positions that simultaneously lower my front end and move it forward, scoot my saddle forward and adjust the saddle height correspondingly. If I have great visibility and a straight road ahead, go all the forward and down. If visibility becomes poor, or I'm headed up a climb, rather than come out of the aerobars, go back several positions to become more upright... for safety, only allow each position to move a max of 3mm at a time, and there has to be a 5sec lag before going to the next position to prevent too big of changes leading to loss of handling. May sound silly or overkill, but I think it could lead to more time in the aerobars, more comfort and faster times.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 24, 17 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
That brings up two good, separate points:

1. I'd like to try elastomers with 10mm travel under the arm pads to smooth out most any road while in the aerobars
  2. Your comment on the front end lowering as you scoot forward: take that idea up a notch, I really do like the idea of having a dropper-seatpost style mech (eightpin technology) hooked up to my di2 battery where I can pre-program, say, 5 positions that simultaneously lower my front end and move it forward, scoot my saddle forward and adjust the saddle height correspondingly. If I have great visibility and a straight road ahead, go all the forward and down. If visibility becomes poor, or I'm headed up a climb, rather than come out of the aerobars, go back several positions to become more upright... for safety, only allow each position to move a max of 3mm at a time, and there has to be a 5sec lag before going to the next position to prevent too big of changes leading to loss of handling. May sound silly or overkill, but I think it could lead to more time in the aerobars, more comfort and faster times.
When I rode my tri bike I would always climb in the aero position but tended to scoot forward.
Only when the road turned steeper than my gearing would I come out of it to stomp or stand.
Today's extra gears would eliminate the need to get out.

As far as I am concerned you should be comfortable and powerful in aero and have no real need to leave it.

There is more to come in the area of bicycle suspension.
Now power meters are easily available, there will be many more findings to challenge people's thinking.
Smooth riding carbon frames have delayed development, but it will come.
Quote Reply