Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crappy workouts on vacation?
Quote | Reply
All my workouts so far while on vacation have been crap. For example, My normal easy pace is 7:30ish but I can't seem to run faster than 8:30 pace. I feel sore and just out of shape. It's been a whole week since my last good workout back at home. I'm assuming this a normal thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got back from a week on vacay in Cuba, I would porbably say my workouts were 70/30 crap to quality... Large temp differential was likely a factor, but generally the body is performing under completely different circumstances... It took a few workouts when I got back before things were back to "normal"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you go on vacation, you eat differently, probably drink more than normal, and you don't sleep as well because you are in a strange bed. If you are travelling with someone, you are probably feeling some stress from their schedule and wanting them to have fun. Also, you don't know the roads and are probably sight seeing while you run. I would be surprised if you weren't running slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always go to warmer humid places. My runs suffer as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the exception of going to Colorado to ride my snowboard, almost all of my vacations are triathlon related.
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its OK - its vacation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As least you're getting workouts in, my usual problem is my inability to get my ass off the beach and do anything resembling work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep its normal. went on a cruise last week and running on a treadmill was dreadful. Moving with the boat is tough......dont worry about it. I am struggling a little with the long bike and run this week after the cruise but know it will be back this weekend just fine. At least you did workouts while vacationing!!
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04 wrote:
yep its normal. went on a cruise last week and running on a treadmill was dreadful. Moving with the boat is tough......dont worry about it. I am struggling a little with the long bike and run this week after the cruise but know it will be back this weekend just fine. At least you did workouts while vacationing!!

I was on a cruise a few weeks ago as well. I loved running on the deck in the middle of the ocean it creates an interesting Garmin map and is really amazing seeing ocean all around you. Of course, it can also get a bit crowded. Running around the port towns is also fun.

...I still haven't worked off the extra weight I gained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have another beer and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, try another.

Repeat until you realize you're on vacation.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on vacations i tend to do a *lot* of walking. it's a big part of what i enjoy doing to discover a new place. so yeah, legs get tired and workouts suffer. worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
Have another beer and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, try another.

Repeat until you realize you're on vacation.

This
I used to really sweat my training on vacation, now I plan my schedule to just up the load leading up to and then take the damn week or so off. Much less stress, more recovery and by the end of the week I'm ready to get back at it.

Vacation is not supposed to resemble real life.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting take. For me, vacation is amazing because it is completely unstructured time. My wife and I don't have kids, and we don't really do activities on vacation. We are drinks by the pool/ beach people.

It is liberating to not have to get up at 5am and run on a treadmill in January, or to have to slot in workouts around my work schedule. I can go for a long run on a tuesday at 10 am when I am on vacation. I can swim in the ocean for an hour at 2pm rather than morning masters, etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TropicPlace wrote:
griffeyfan04 wrote:

I was on a cruise a few weeks ago as well. I loved running on the deck in the middle of the ocean it creates an interesting Garmin map and is really amazing seeing ocean all around you. Of course, it can also get a bit crowded. Running around the port towns is also fun.

I'd love to see that Garmin GPS plot.
Can you post a link?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X 2.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Crappy workouts on vacation? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
TropicPlace wrote:
griffeyfan04 wrote:

I'd love to see that Garmin GPS plot.
Can you post a link?

Here's an image of it. The route itself isn't exciting. But, the pace & pace profile are interesting. I was waaaaay slower than those paces. This was in the southeast Caribbean ~6 weeks ago.

Quote Reply