Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+?
Quote | Reply
I have had a front wheel pinch flat four of my last four rides on my HED Jet 6+ wheels so I'm obviously doing something wrong. If I hit the slightest obstacle in the road, even a tiny rock, I pinch flat. I'm running 23mm GP4000S IIs at around 80 psi and weigh 153 lbs. This has happened with butyl and latex tubes. Rode all last year on Zipps and only had one incident like this but it was a massive pothole I hit.

Best,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
80psi is pretty low no? Not low enough to cause that many problems I would imagine but I run all my tires at 95-100 and have no problems with pinch flats. Not using the same wheels setup as yours but still.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you sure it is a pinch flat? Could there be something suck in he tire that is causing the puncture?

Have you identified where the flats are occurring?

Mark the tire and tube and check if the punctures are reoccurring at the same spot.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80psi for 153lbs on HED. Jet6+ with 23mm Conti GP4000SII is pretty fine. There are 3 parts and one process to check, tire, tube, rim tape and correct tire mounting on a plus rim .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention, I always check to make sure the tube is inside of the bead before inflating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
Forgot to mention, I always check to make sure the tube is inside of the bead before inflating.

Same tire for all four flats? It is possible the tire bead has a defect. Same check for rim bead seat groove. assuming this model of HEDs are configured this way.

I'll also second the recommendation to check flat location versus rim tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had the same wheels, with the same tires, inflated to 90psi (I'm 163lbs) I started getting a bunch of flats, too.
It turned out to be a problem w/ a failing rim strip.

I solved the problem by getting a Zipp 808 and Super 9, and selling my HED wheelset.

Check your rimstrip (or opt for different wheels).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Apr 15, 17 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think the low pressure thing is a fad that has gotten a little out of hand. After the weather improves, I'm going to do some serious field testing of it. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts, when you account for torsional losses on the rear tire, 80 psi is far too low, even on rough surfaces.

In the meantime, Hed's recommendation is to multiply bike + rider weight in KG by 1.3 to get the correct PSI.

So if your bike weighs 20 lbs, we have: 1.3*(153+20)/2.2 = 103 psi.

80 is way too low.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max pressure on Hed Jet plus rims is 100, so don't do 103.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could easily run 130psi and have no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
When I had the same wheels, with the same tires, inflated to 90psi (I'm 163lbs) I started getting a bunch of flats, too.

I solved the problem by getting a Zipp 808 and Super 9, and selling my HED wheelset.

Selling your wheels because the rim strip is bad sounds a little crazy. Putting new rim strips costs 10 bucks and takes 5 minutes tops.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

No offense, but I'll trust Hed's website before I trust you.

Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
philly1x wrote:

Selling your wheels because the rim strip is bad sounds a little crazy. Putting new rim strips costs 10 bucks and takes 5 minutes tops.

He just wanted new wheels and was looking for a way to justify the purchase. I do that too, tell my wife these wheels are "broken" so I need new ones, haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pinch flat is specific is it not? Meaning you catch the tube between the rim and the tire? Are you pinching the tube during install?

I'm guessing there is something in your tire. Rim tape is installed?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim tape is installed, albeit not by me as I'm the second owner, but they were only used in a few short time trials prior. The flat occurs on the slightest impact. I swear to Christ, the one this morning was a tiny rock I could close my fist around. I'll try some new rim strips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
Rim tape is installed, albeit not by me as I'm the second owner, but they were only used in a few short time trials prior. The flat occurs on the slightest impact. I swear to Christ, the one this morning was a tiny rock I could close my fist around. I'll try some new rim strips.

Sounds pretty odd honestly. I'm guessing you have a spike in your tire somewhere. Do a full inspection.

Super frustrating huh? I haven't flatted in like 8 years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've experienced the same with Ardennes black. The issue is the rim tape. In my case it was caused by park tire lever installing the tire. It put a small dent which cut the tape which will damage ur tube. Replace the rim tape and install the tire without damage rim tape with tire lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanrex wrote:
I've experienced the same with Ardennes black. The issue is the rim tape. In my case it was caused by park tire lever installing the tire. It put a small dent which cut the tape which will damage ur tube. Replace the rim tape and install the tire without damage rim tape with tire lever.

Great, thanks! I'll try this tomorrow as I've already checked the tire for foreign objects multiple times.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clutchy wrote:
A pinch flat is specific is it not? Meaning you catch the tube between the rim and the tire? Are you pinching the tube during install?

I'm guessing there is something in your tire. Rim tape is installed?

I think we're confusing terminology. This is a pinch flat:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/snakebites.html

It typically occurs when riding over obstacles (what the OP described). The cause is under-inflating your tires. Rim tape is a complete red herring.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

No offense, but I'll trust Hed's website before I trust you.

I run my HEDs at 120psi for practically every ride (180lb rider 23mm 4000s II tires). It's a aluminum rim, even 150psi wouldn't be an issue. For the HEDs the asymetric spoke hole drilling of the rims makes it really easy for the rim strip to shift a little and expose just enough of a hole to cause a flat. Two layers of Stans rim tape FTW, or Veloplugs covered with a square of tape.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my experience, if I ride in the rain and do any extended braking even Velox rim tape will shift and lead to flats. A few years ago while descending off the Galibier in the fog and rain, I flatted three times and ended up having to beg a group of German cyclists for an inner tube to get back to my car. if the rim tape is damp, replace it.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a wheel once with plastic rim tape. I was flatting... on the trainer. It wasn't visible with the cursory look, but after the 3rd flat in a row, I went over it closely. It had a split over one of the spoke holes. I use 3 revolutions of tubeless tape now.

Since the original owner applied the tape, is there a chance that the rim tape is too narrow on this rim?
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Apr 16, 17 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I keep pinch flatting on HED Jet 6+? [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HED. wheels are delivered with tube less ready rim tape, it's pretty thin but even strong for high pressures and 25mm wide for the plus rims with enough for two layers .. in that case the tire has to move to damage the valve seat and this on a plus rim needs jedi forces :-)

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply