Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NP3 steer tube question
Quote | Reply
I want to cut my steer tube on my Cervelo P3 and I see that they used an aluminum insert with a star nut. Will this cause a problem when I cut off the excess on top of my steer tube? What do I do if that sleeve has been epoxy in place
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do you want to cut off, the insert is reasonably long, depending how well it was epoxied in that there may not be much epoxy at the far end, in which case either remove it and glue new insert of fit carbon expander
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
How much do you want to cut off, the insert is reasonably long, depending how well it was epoxied in that there may not be much epoxy at the far end, in which case either remove it and glue new insert of fit carbon expander

About two centimeters is what I want to cut off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the starnut below where you want to cut it?
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Is the starnut below where you want to cut it?

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut a little off the steerer tube.

Use a starnut installation tube to push it further down.

Cut the steerer tube to the length that you want.
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Cut a little off the steerer tube.

Use a starnut installation tube to push it further down.

Cut the steerer tube to the length that you want.

This,

Having said that I have had to of these fail do to poor install, so I just moved on to the threaded inserts.

Much better for re-sale and adjustability.
Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Having said that I have had to of these fail do to poor install, so I just moved on to the threaded inserts.

Cheers,

Can you share more about how the insert(s) have failed? What was deficient about the install(s)? I got a few cervelos in the house, and I am building up one so it would be interesting to get your feedback and some more details. Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Cheers,

Can you share more about how the insert(s) have failed? What was deficient about the install(s)? I got a few cervelos in the house, and I am building up one so it would be interesting to get your feedback and some more details. Thanks.

I think the typical issue is that once city shorter, starnut tapped deeper and too cap tightened the epoxy can break loose and separate the insert. The ones I've seen these happen with were cut down more than 2cm so perhaps the glue on the bottom half of sleeve was not consistent. Or it could just be how clean the installation was performed. I just use the fix Maurice mentions with a threaded expansion insert in place of sleeve and starnut.
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Cheers,

I think the typical issue is that once city shorter, starnut tapped deeper and too cap tightened the epoxy can break loose and separate the insert. The ones I've seen these happen with were cut down more than 2cm so perhaps the glue on the bottom half of sleeve was not consistent. Or it could just be how clean the installation was performed. I just use the fix Maurice mentions with a threaded expansion insert in place of sleeve and starnut.

If you have a failure and you use the other method do you then in turn remove the metal sleeve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes,

the reason for failure of bond could be over torquing on my part or lack of cleaning/ good bond on the shops part....hard to say.

But yes if you install the threaded insert then pull out the epoxy one.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to what Maurice mentioned above, when the sleeve fails it typically comes out completely...
Quote Reply
Re: NP3 steer tube question [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Cheers,

I gave up a long time ago on the insert and use this on all of my Cervelos: Origin8 Compression Plug
https://www.amazon.com/...01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply