Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do tyres 'stall'?
Quote | Reply
Do tyres have stall angles like wheels?

Specifically I have a well worn 25 GP4000s on the front, with the flat worn section in the middle, when the wind picks up it seems to suddenly stall, or thats what it feels like!
Does this actually happen or is this all in my head?
Quote Reply
Re: Do tyres 'stall'? [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This weeks Cycling Weekly over in the UK had an article about tires and aero wheels. Some tires can cause aero wheels to stall, something about needing micro turbulence near the rim or some such. Slicks with no treads are the worst apparently.

This article said that Conti GP4000 II were the best tires, but this was completely by accident.
Quote Reply
Re: Do tyres 'stall'? [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
Do tyres have stall angles like wheels?

Specifically I have a well worn 25 GP4000s on the front, with the flat worn section in the middle, when the wind picks up it seems to suddenly stall, or thats what it feels like!
Does this actually happen or is this all in my head?

Yes. It's dependent both on tire wear and on the rim it's paired with.

I.e., you are exactly right that a well worn tire is going to stall earlier - MUCH earlier - than one that is not worn. Especially on the front. And you certainly can feel it, especially on deeper section rims. In Zipp's own testing (done by Josh Poertner), a 23mm GP4000S with 500mi was no better than any other tire, which is a huge contrast to a new tire which blew everything else away.

Certain tires also pair better/worse with certain rims. Continentals are fast with pretty much everything, but there are other tires that only work with with certain rims.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply