Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

achilles tendon issues with cycling but seen only when running?
Quote | Reply
I ran 2 full marathons: January and March... achilles tendon was fine. A couple weeks after the second marathons, I road my bike for the first time since November and whammo on the run. Aches in the tendon while running 7 miles... and far worse after running. Things settled down a bit a week after that. Then went for another bike ride and whammo on the run... not quite as bad. Ran another marathon today and it hurts like a hell after mile 17 but a problem from nearly the get go. I managed through it... but not sure if this could cost me down the road as I have IM in November again. I don't know if it is the way I pedal or that the LOOK cleats have worn down to angle my foot differently. I will swap out the cleats for new ones. But concerned it might be in my riding... maybe my foot is angled down too much...

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by: woof: Apr 9, 17 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: achilles tendon issues with cycling but seen only when running? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced this exact thing last year and realized it was because I moved my saddle to far back. It didn't hurt while riding but I started to exp Achilles pain for the first time ever running.

I moved my saddle forward to where it was to begin with after the season and the pain went away.

I would def put saddle position on your checklist to rule it out. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: achilles tendon issues with cycling but seen only when running? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe your saddle is too high. I've had a similar issue in the past and this was the cause.
Quote Reply
Re: achilles tendon issues with cycling but seen only when running? [nckdly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nckdly wrote:
Maybe your saddle is too high. I've had a similar issue in the past and this was the cause.

Exact same issue with me, although *I think* it started in the hip, did a number on the outer portion of the calf, which is what eventually led to the achilles tendonitis on the run.

Never felt any issues biking, but it came on during a very low run block, like 10-15miles a week.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Achilles, but I was getting some peroneal tendonitis from a worn pair of cycling shoes. I thought it was the cleats and/or cleat but even after replacing them and having them fitted I was still getting significant inflammation from a shoe I had ridden without issue for years. I replaced the shoes and haven't had any issue since. Not posting this because I think that's your case, but just because there are a lot of potential issues/minor changes in your fit that can cause new symptoms.

When you had the bike initially fit were you doing more cycling? Were you off the bike entirely whilst marathon training?
Quote Reply