Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)?
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys, I'm newish to Denver and live near the Denver Tech Center.

Does anyone know if there are any tri clubs that meet and train in this area?

From my online search there seems to be a big void in this area for people to train with.

Or even separate swim, bike, run clubs would be useful too.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [nickmacca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Denver! The Rocky Mountain Tri Club is a big club, though you'll have to drive a bit. The swims and runs are in central Denver but the rides are anywhere from Sedalia to Boulder to Ft. Collins.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [nickmacca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to the south of you is Altitude Multisport Club, covering Parker, Aurora, Castle Rock areas.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd vote for RMTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumping this again.

I too just moved to the Tech Center from the DC area. I'm especially looking for groups to ride with as I don't know the area at all. I don't mind driving a bit for longer rides. These groups look good but neither seem to have scheduled rides (at least on their calendars).

I'm swimming at Greenwood Athletic Club and have been running on the highline canal and CC State Park.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Roger
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [Ironchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a ton of good rides around. C470 trail will take you all the way up to Golden. Not to mention a bunch of rides off of that into the mountains.

I'm down in Highlands Ranch so if you want to ride sometime just let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [Ironchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys might also want to check out Pedal Cycling in Littleton. They have a massive Club team that is ALWAYS doing group rides. One of the largest groups in Colorado and the nicest.

They're cyclists BUT you'll find some triathletes in the mix and some of the loveliest cyclists all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice guys. Here's what I ended up doing:

Swim - the masters swim club that trains at holly swimming pool and goodson rec center. The coach is super nice and called Melanie. Let me know if you want her number. Real nice group to train with and great swim training.
Run - there is a saturday run group from 7am out of boulder running company (the one next to sprouts on arapahoe rd (near i25)
Bike - just did on my own, though that littleton group sounds like a good group that is close. The other thing that I heard and saw when training in cherry creek state park was a group ride in the state park. I think they meet at 5.30pm in the state park, but never found out what days it was unfortunately. Loads of time trial competitions in the state park too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironchef wrote:
bumping this again.

I too just moved to the Tech Center from the DC area. I'm especially looking for groups to ride with as I don't know the area at all. I don't mind driving a bit for longer rides. These groups look good but neither seem to have scheduled rides (at least on their calendars).

I'm swimming at Greenwood Athletic Club and have been running on the highline canal and CC State Park.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Roger

Park Hill Peloton (PHP) ride every Tuesday and Friday (year 'round). Starts at 6:00 AM (sharp) at the bridge at Holly and Cherry Creek. We make our way south at an easy pace to the Cherry Creek Reservoir. 30 minutes of hard group riding on the Tower Loop, then back to the start. Most guys ride to the ride from areas all over the city. I ride up every morning from Littleton, so I get a good 50-55 miles each time I do the ride. From DTC, you could either meet the group at the parking area for the CC Rez (just past the high school on Union) -- arrival at the parking lot is usually around 6:20 - 6:25 AM - or ride up to the start at Holly/Cherry Creek, do the ride, and break off at Quincy to head back to DTC (this is how I do it and at least a few other guys do).

Here is a Strava link to the ride as I did it this morning. Easy to get to/from DTC before and after.

For weekends (Saturdays), you can ride either the Weekly Worlds, which meets at Wadsworth and Deer Creek at 8:00 AM or the Frustrated Dads Ride (FDR), which meets at Cycleton in Stapleton on the NE side of town and currently leaves at 7:00 AM (it changes to 8:00 AM after the time change in Oct.). Both are a good ways from DTC, but easily navigable on weekends.

For Worlds, I'd recommend taking Quincy west to Clarkson, south (left) on Clarkson, then turn right on Layton, left on Pennsylvania, right on Chenango, which will take you all the way west to a dead end that puts you on paved trail access to the South Platte River Trail, which you can take all the way down to Chatfield Reservoir and over to the start line. It sounds complicated, but it really is not. In fact, my Strava link above shows you how to get to the South Platte River Trail (or it may be labeled as the Mary Carter Greenway Trail, they're essentially the same at that point).

For the FDR, there's a bit more urban riding. This is a Strava link of my route from Littleton up to Stapleton. You can adapt it easily for where you live. It looks convoluted, but it's not that hard once you've done it a couple of times. I'll be doing the FDR this Saturday, so if you are interested, I can alter the route to meet you and guide you up, if you're at all interested. It's a 7:00 AM start from Cycleton right now, though, so I have to leave Littleton by 5:30 or so to get there with enough time to feel confident I'll make it. I'm guessing no later than 5:45 or 6:00 to leave DTC. Better to be early than late.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info on these rides, or if you want to arrange a meet up for a guided ride up to one or the other. FYI, I don't recommend a TT or tri bike on any of these rides. They're all decent-sized group rides and a TT bike will likely be asked to either go off the front, stay well off the back, or just not ride. I've only seen a TT bike at one of these rides once and the guy was asked not to ride in the pack, but at the back or off the front.

Can't help with running or swimming. I don't do either anymore.

Edited to add: Worlds tends to be faster than FDR, but is significantly shorter. Worlds is about 25-30 miles and is a hammerfest from start to finish. There are some hills involved (not much, but some), and it's usually done by 9:30 AM. A lot of guys tack on miles by riding up Deer Creek and doing a lot of climbing after. FDR is mostly pancake flat. It goes out way east, not too far from DIA, but it also tends to be a hammerfest. It is 42 miles from start to finish, and as you can see from my Strava link, I tend to get 85 miles on Saturdays when I ride up from Littleton. Anyone coming from DTC would get at least 60-65 miles in.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Last edited by: Danno: Aug 22, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome, thanks Danno!

That could well be the group I see whizzing around the state park! - Looks fun so will try to join you guys asap (just had a baby though so maybe a while!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickmacca wrote:
That's awesome, thanks Danno!

That could well be the group I see whizzing around the state park! - Looks fun so will try to join you guys asap (just had a baby though so maybe a while!).

You're welcome. Anytime. The PHP group is getting big. We regularly have between 40 and 60 every ride during the summer. Often lucky to get 15 in the dead of winter (I have a strict 40 degree temp threshold!).

Just thought of one more. If weekday afternoon crit type rides are your thing, every Tuesday and Thursday there is the Meridian Ride down in the Meridian business park just east and south of where I-25 and C-470 intersect. I haven't done that ride in a couple of years, though, so I have no idea if these specifics are still true: Start time I think is 5:30 or 6:00 PM. The group used to draw a lot of Cat 1's and 2's and the occasional pro road racer and/or triathlete. It is a very hard ride to stay on the main group. Lots of surges, with some rolling hills along the circuit. If you get popped, you can easily relax until the group comes back around and jump back in. They ride circles for about an hour and then go home. Most people drive to that one, though. As the days grow shorter, it gets harder to ride home unless you bring lights.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironchef wrote:
I too just moved to the Tech Center from the DC area.

I'm swimming at Greenwood Athletic Club...

Roger

Are you still living in Denver? And is that the same as Club Greenwood, formerly Greenwood Tennis Club?

I am relocating soon to Aurora/Parker, and am especially interested in the indoor clay tennis courts at Club Greenwood. Do you have any current opinion regarding that club and those courts?

As for riding and running, I will check out your suggestions from 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver - Are there Clubs in DTC (DENVER TECH CENTER)? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markvoss wrote:
Ironchef wrote:
I too just moved to the Tech Center from the DC area.

I'm swimming at Greenwood Athletic Club...

Roger

Are you still living in Denver? And is that the same as Club Greenwood, formerly Greenwood Tennis Club?

I am relocating soon to Aurora/Parker, and am especially interested in the indoor clay tennis courts at Club Greenwood. Do you have any current opinion regarding that club and those courts?

As for riding and running, I will check out your suggestions from 2017.

If you're in Parker, consider Altitude Multisport Club. We're based in Parker but have members from Aurora Res all the way over to Highlands Ranch. There's also a BRAND NEW raquet club in Parker.

I've lived in Parker since 2011 and am president of AMC. DM me if you have any questions.
Quote Reply