Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super9?
Quote | Reply
I am about to buy my first disc wheel.
I did lot of research and I came up with Zipp Super9 Carbon Clincher.

Other options I see are
- Hed
- FFWD (very cheap option)
- Flo carbon, also very cheap
- Mavic
- Other?

If you ignore cost for a moment, which one would you get and why.

is Zipp really the fastest and best performing with cross wind?
Quote Reply
Re: Super9? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say Hed or Flo because they are spoked wheels with carbon fairings; I'm not so confident in the ride quality of solid discs, I own an Ambrosio Disc and find it too stiff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've considered the Super 9, but I'm also interested in the Dash 25mm Gretchen Clincher because;
- It's wide
- It's pretty
- I think the hub is better than the Zipp
- It's tubeless compatible

The only benefit that I see of the Zipp over the Dash is the dimples - MAYBE they are better in crosswind.

I'm very interested in the thoughts of others.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Super9? [SamuelMedway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamuelMedway wrote:
I've considered the Super 9, but I'm also interested in the Dash 25mm Gretchen Clincher because;
- It's wide
- It's pretty
- I think the hub is better than the Zipp
- It's tubeless compatible

The only benefit that I see of the Zipp over the Dash is the dimples - MAYBE they are better in crosswind.

I'm very interested in the thoughts of others.

thanks for your input. i read right after the review on tririg and all the data. i wasnt aware of it.
definitely the most expensive but the lightest!
it would be good to see a post of somebody who owns it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought a Super 9 this year, although I cant say I've ridden it in anger yet. Previously I had been riding around on a Powertap alloy clincher, with a disc cover on, but after purchasing some P1s, decided to pull the pin on a dedicated disc with a view to reducing tire swapping, disc attaching hassle before race days. In reality, it doesnt take that long, but I have spent years trying to become more 'efficient' at triathlon, and that includes bike maintenance, as well as training time.

I think one of the most important questions is, what are you riding up front and will it match? I have an 808FC up front, so I had little choice other than to go with the Super 9.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Super9? [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard1980 wrote:
I've bought a Super 9 this year, although I cant say I've ridden it in anger yet. Previously I had been riding around on a Powertap alloy clincher, with a disc cover on, but after purchasing some P1s, decided to pull the pin on a dedicated disc with a view to reducing tire swapping, disc attaching hassle before race days. In reality, it doesnt take that long, but I have spent years trying to become more 'efficient' at triathlon, and that includes bike maintenance, as well as training time.

I think one of the most important questions is, what are you riding up front and will it match? I have an 808FC up front, so I had little choice other than to go with the Super 9.... :)

i have a set of 808 and 404 from my wife in case of strong wind.
but in general, i would not mind to run a zipp front and something else as a disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a flo 60 or 90 front and super 9 rear. I love my disc. I don't find any difference in ride quality and the disc is lighter than a read flo 90 if weight is ever an issue.
Also, Sounds. It whump whumps. That's gotta be a few watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my comment about matching wheel sets was a bit tongue in cheek, I think as stated above, whats really important is the sound it makes.

On a serious note, there is another current wheel thread at the moment, and some really good points are made about the Hed Jet+ wheels, I think they are valid for there disc wheel also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If budget isn't an issue, just get the Zipp.
I've used one for 2 seasons now, still dead straight, no issues.

If you want slightly less sexy and less expensive, get the HED. Lionel Sanders seems plenty fast on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

Other options I see are
- Hed
- Mavic
- Other?

\

This came up in another thread. Yesterday.

The Hed JET+ Black braking surface is amazing and aluminum to boot. It isn't much heavier than the HED but is spoked so it should be more comfy to ride, handle better, and be truable. You are splitting hairs on aerodynamics.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Super9? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Other options I see are
- Hed
- Mavic
- Other?

\

The Hed JET+ Black braking surface is amazing and aluminum to boot. It isn't much heavier than the HED but is spoked so it should be more comfy to ride, handle better, and be truable. You are splitting hairs on aerodynamics.

Hed Jet Plus comes in 24H and 28H, which one would you suggest?
there is also Jet Black Disc, which I assume it is carbon clincher and it starts to approach Zipp Super9 as cost
Here in Switzerland, Super9 is sold at 1700$
can't find HED distributor, I would need to order from USA probably
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the UK and got my HED Jet6+ for the UK distributors. They may be able to hook you up?

http://www.hedwheels.com/index.asp?show=n

Quote Reply
Re: Super9? [chilled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chilled wrote:
I'm in the UK and got my HED Jet6+ for the UK distributors. They may be able to hook you up?

http://www.hedwheels.com/index.asp?show=n

ok we have no local distributor but if I look in Austria for HED, prices in Euro are going to be very close if not higher than Super 9
it means also the price advantage is gone...

my decision is almost made, it seems...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jet Black Disc is not a carbon clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Other options I see are
- Hed
- Mavic
- Other?

\

Hed Jet Plus comes in 24H and 28H, which one would you suggest?
there is also Jet Black Disc, which I assume it is carbon clincher and it starts to approach Zipp Super9 as cost
Here in Switzerland, Super9 is sold at 1700$
can't find HED distributor, I would need to order from USA probably

Jet+ Black is just a etched brake surface. It is this brake surface that is so spectacular in braking power but it is still aluminum and NOT carbon.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rode my Super9 for the first time at IM70.3 Galveston which had exceptionally strong winds this year. A front was moving across TX about 170 miles north of us and it made for a windy race. I'm a pilot and, by habit, dissected the crosswind and tail/headwind components into: 17kts and 10kts, respectively. We were pretty much exposed to a sustained crosswind of 17kts for most of the course and can tell you that the Super9 did great. The front wheel choice became the tougher choice on that day. I rode the same course last year with a 606 setup and an avg power that was 13w higher and was 3 mins slower. One can't compare these races obviously as these were very different conditions... I just can't help but feel that the whoosh whoosh made me faster :)

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply